No brake lights

Dealing with all subsystems specific to the diesel powered Datsun-Nissan 720 pickup trucks.

Moderators: plenzen, Nissan_Ranger

scottyk

No brake lights

Post by scottyk »

Okay, guys, I am trying to work on all the little problems. Right now, I have no brake lights, no front marker lights, and tail lights. Hazards don't work either. My back up lights and turn signals work fine. I have tried everything that I can think of. I tested each marker light housing by connecting test leads. Marker lights, brake lights all come on when using test lead directly to the housing. Also used test leads to the connector near the rear of the truck, brake lights work. Used test leads to the harness connector under the passenger seat, brake lights work. So it's not the wiring in that section anyway. What does that leave? Brake light switch? Please help, I am getting frustrated. Thanks.
1982 Red Diesel KC w/ A/C
asavage
Site Admin

Re: No brake lights

Post by asavage »

scottyk wrote:I have no brake lights, no front marker lights, and tail lights. Hazards don't work either. My back up lights and turn signals work fine.
When you say "test leads" you seem to mean that you put power at various connectors.

For no brake lights, check for power at one side of the switch at all times. Easy. Then check the other side of the brake light switch on the pedal bracket for no power until the pedal is pressed. Also easy.

For no front markers/TL, check fusible link at connector 23M, the Red/Yel wire going into the lighting switch at the column connector 76M, and power coming out of same connector at the Red/Blu wire. Chances are the fusible link is OK because the HLs work, but the switch may be bad. See the wiring diagram in the FSM, page EL-59. It's pretty clear. The wiring schematic is on the previous page.

I have spare used switches. You would not need the whole MF assy, just the lighting switch.
Regards,
Al S.

1982 Maxima diesel wagon, 2nd & 4th owner, 165k miles, rusty & burgundy/grey. Purchased 1996, SOLD 16Feb10
1983 Maxima diesel wagon, 199k miles, rusty, light yellow/light brown. SOLD 14Jul07
1981 720 SD22 (scrapped 04Sep07)
1983 Sentra CD17, 255k, bought 06Jul08, gave it away 22Jun10.
idahocity

Post by idahocity »

i have run into the same problem. although my light panel on the driver side is rusted out and i need a replacement. is there anyone out there who has an extra drivers side taillight, 720 horizontal 1982, for sale. i called the dealership and they want over $100 for one. I couldn't find a serviceable one in the junkyards.
sd22 '82 datsun diesel kc, rusty of course
Best Regards,
Robert
asavage
Site Admin

Post by asavage »

The older TLs are never in good shape in JYs.

I bought one of the cheap Chinese knock-offs from eBay for about $30, three years ago. It did not fit perfectly, but wasn't too bad. Something like this one for $19

Used ones are available, use car-part.com, a database of JYs nationwide. Watch out for JYs selling "new" TLs, they probably are the same things you can buy for half as much elsewhere.
Regards,
Al S.

1982 Maxima diesel wagon, 2nd & 4th owner, 165k miles, rusty & burgundy/grey. Purchased 1996, SOLD 16Feb10
1983 Maxima diesel wagon, 199k miles, rusty, light yellow/light brown. SOLD 14Jul07
1981 720 SD22 (scrapped 04Sep07)
1983 Sentra CD17, 255k, bought 06Jul08, gave it away 22Jun10.