SD22 transmission adapters?

Dealing with all subsystems specific to the diesel powered Datsun-Nissan 720 pickup trucks.

Moderators: plenzen, Nissan_Ranger

TruckA

SD22 transmission adapters?

Post by TruckA »

I know that my Datsun 720 that I towed home last Saturday has a bad 5th gear, and from reading here and in other places, I'm learning that these diesels don't like to go too fast on the highway. I'd either like to buy a transmission adapter, or make one on my own that will swap to something that would be stronger, and would also give me a little more speed on the highway, and just get a custom driveshaft made. I found this site site online, I believe the company is out of Australia, and on the third page down there's a few SD22 adapters: http://www.rodshop.com.au/catalogues/Bellhousings.pdf

One is for swapping to Toyota 4 and 5 speeds, and if it would work for the W55+ series of Toyota transmissions, I know those are some strong units. Anyone have any thoughts about this unit or know of any other adapters, or have a better transmission solution altogether?

Thanks,

David
moose60

Post by moose60 »

Aside from your bad fifth gear, these trucks go down the highway just fine when running right. Mine, as well as Philip's, will top 80MPH. But, it's real noisy at that speed, and it burns alot of fuel. I usually go 55-65. This truck is faster over mountain passes than my 4 speed toyota truck.
I think that the nissan actually

Perhaps someone here can help you with your actual question. :)
Byron

82 Datsun 720 KC SD22

MPG Machine
asavage
Site Admin

Re: SD22 transmission adapters?

Post by asavage »

TruckA wrote:I believe the company is out of Australia, and on the third page down there's a few SD22 adapters: http://www.rodshop.com.au/catalogues/Bellhousings.pdf
CRS wrote:PART NO. BH19
Bellhousing to bolt SD 22 Nissan Diesel to
Toyota 4 and 5¡speed steel cased gearboxes.
Comes with fork, spigot bush and pivot ball.

Wait until you find out what shipping will run from AU! BTDT.
One is for swapping to Toyota 4 and 5 speeds, and if it would work for the W55+ series of Toyota transmissions, I know those are some strong units.
I'd love to hear how it works out, but am unwilling to spend the money necessary to make it happen on any of my rigs.
Regards,
Al S.

1982 Maxima diesel wagon, 2nd & 4th owner, 165k miles, rusty & burgundy/grey. Purchased 1996, SOLD 16Feb10
1983 Maxima diesel wagon, 199k miles, rusty, light yellow/light brown. SOLD 14Jul07
1981 720 SD22 (scrapped 04Sep07)
1983 Sentra CD17, 255k, bought 06Jul08, gave it away 22Jun10.
goglio704

Post by goglio704 »

TruckA,

Have you considered this option?
Matt B.

83 Maxima Sedan, LD28, 5 speed, white, 130k miles. My original Maxima.
83 Maxima Sedan converted from gasser, LD28, 5 speed, 2 tone blue, 230k miles
82 Maxima Sedan, LD28, 3 speed auto, 2 tone Gray/Silver, 140k miles
81 810 Sedan, LD28, 3 speed auto, rust, rust, and more rust!

2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
TooManyIdeas

Post by TooManyIdeas »

I've been wondering about that mod too. Have you considered a Gear Vendor Overdrive unit or maybe swapping out your rear. You would still have to change your driveshaft but it could be cheaper and or easier. Just food for thought.
82 Datsun 720 King Cab Diesel - FOR SALE !!!!
85 Chevy Monte Carlo CL
90 Toyota Pickup -SOLD
05 Kia Spectra 5
02 Dodge Dakota Quadcab
-OOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHH YEAH!!!!!
TruckA

Post by TruckA »

Thanks for all the good info, and thanks for the reminder about shipping asavage, before running too far down that path, I would definitely need a price on the part itself and for shipping. goglio704, I skimmed through the links briefly, but do the 280zx engine and the sd22 have the same bolt pattern to allow the 240sx to match up? If so, that may be the best budget minded approach.
goglio704

Post by goglio704 »

As I understand it, you would keep the bellhousing from the SD trans and have it machined to accept the bearings and shift rods of the newer trans. I don't know much about the SD's, but I don't think L series stuff bolts up. That shouldn't matter though because your existing bellhousing would serve as an adapter. AFAIK nobody has done this with an SD before, but the principal is the same as what the Z car crowd is doing. Keep the bellhousing, lose the rest.
Matt B.

83 Maxima Sedan, LD28, 5 speed, white, 130k miles. My original Maxima.
83 Maxima Sedan converted from gasser, LD28, 5 speed, 2 tone blue, 230k miles
82 Maxima Sedan, LD28, 3 speed auto, 2 tone Gray/Silver, 140k miles
81 810 Sedan, LD28, 3 speed auto, rust, rust, and more rust!

2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
TruckA

Post by TruckA »

Sounds simple enough to me, I'll research bolt patterns and other things from the 280zx and see what I'll come up with. I'd just would rather get something that will be reliable instead of rebuilding a tranny that is weak to begin with.
asavage
Site Admin

Post by asavage »

goglio704 wrote:. . . you would keep the bellhousing from the SD trans and have it machined to accept the bearings and shift rods of the newer trans.
That's probably possible.
I don't know much about the SD's, but I don't think L series stuff bolts up.
No, the SD has its own pattern that nothing else will fit.
That shouldn't matter though because your existing bellhousing would serve as an adapter. AFAIK nobody has done this with an SD before, but the principal is the same as what the Z car crowd is doing. Keep the bellhousing, lose the rest.
Agreed.
Regards,
Al S.

1982 Maxima diesel wagon, 2nd & 4th owner, 165k miles, rusty & burgundy/grey. Purchased 1996, SOLD 16Feb10
1983 Maxima diesel wagon, 199k miles, rusty, light yellow/light brown. SOLD 14Jul07
1981 720 SD22 (scrapped 04Sep07)
1983 Sentra CD17, 255k, bought 06Jul08, gave it away 22Jun10.