How do you remove the ignition switch from steering column?

Dealing with all subsystems specific to the diesel powered Datsun-Nissan 720 pickup trucks.

Moderators: plenzen, Nissan_Ranger

TruckA

How do you remove the ignition switch from steering column?

Post by TruckA »

There are two phillips head screws, plus two brass looking pins. The pins look like they are tapped in, and I tried to drive them out by tapping with a hammer and screw driver. I don't want to break anything, so can anyone help me out with the secret of removing the ignition switch?

Thanks!

David L.
asavage
Site Admin

Post by asavage »

The two others are security bolts. The heads break off when they come up to torque.

You can sometimes use a pointed chisel and catch one side of the head and walk it out that way. If you have room, you can also use a Dremel with a fine wheel and cut a slot into it -- you do end up cutting a slot in the screw's well walls, but that's OK.

I use both methods. The pin chisel method is slightly easier and less messy, but is not 100% effective, esp. if you've bent the screw by pounding on it. You might have to create a slot in the head in your case.
TruckA

Post by TruckA »

Thanks for the help, I'll bust out the chisel and dremel to see which one I can get to work for me. How in the world do the screws get torqued in from the factory when they have no head on them?

David
asavage
Site Admin

Post by asavage »

The bolts had heads on them. They are break-away heads. You torque them up, and the head breaks off. That's a common item, actually; many mfgrs use them.
Regards,
Al S.

1982 Maxima diesel wagon, 2nd & 4th owner, 165k miles, rusty & burgundy/grey. Purchased 1996, SOLD 16Feb10
1983 Maxima diesel wagon, 199k miles, rusty, light yellow/light brown. SOLD 14Jul07
1981 720 SD22 (scrapped 04Sep07)
1983 Sentra CD17, 255k, bought 06Jul08, gave it away 22Jun10.
TruckA

Post by TruckA »

I can see how they work now, where the head broke off, it looked like surface marring from if they were driven in. I haven't run across them before until now, thanks for the information.

David
asavage
Site Admin

Post by asavage »

I found a picture (drawing) of the shear head screws before they are installed. See the keys/locks thread.
Regards,
Al S.

1982 Maxima diesel wagon, 2nd & 4th owner, 165k miles, rusty & burgundy/grey. Purchased 1996, SOLD 16Feb10
1983 Maxima diesel wagon, 199k miles, rusty, light yellow/light brown. SOLD 14Jul07
1981 720 SD22 (scrapped 04Sep07)
1983 Sentra CD17, 255k, bought 06Jul08, gave it away 22Jun10.