Clutch

Dealing with all subsystems specific to the diesel powered Datsun-Nissan 720 pickup trucks.

Moderators: plenzen, Nissan_Ranger

bacho

Clutch

Post by bacho »

Ever since I did my swap I have been thinking the clutch was bad and I found today that it really is in bad shape. The questions is what clutch is a good choice and will one from the z24 or VG30 fit? I happen to had a brand new exedy for the vg30 in my shop but I think its bigger than I remember the diesel clutch being.
1992 nissan pathfinder 4x4
1985 KC 720 4x4
1982 KC 720
davehoos

Post by davehoos »

first.
old or new plate.was the clamping diapham flat or level when installed.

is it a take off problem or driving problem?

is it an engine mount,driveshaft,rear suspension problem??

if the flywheel has hot spots and is not machined properly it will slip and shudder.if the rear shocks are stuffed it wll shudder.[judder]if the pate is damaged it will shudder,the internal dapening springs are wrong size it will shudder and make odd noises.

you need to work this out before going down a bigger dia clutch disc path.
i would think a diesel clutch disc is similar to a z24 but the clamping pressure is often different and you need a catalouge..you can buy heavier duty parts often dont need them.

4X4 often have heavier clamping pressure to reduce slipage in sand.
WCJR31 Skyline.3.0 manual.wagon
R31 SKYLINE/Passage GT/PINTARA
LPG Ford Falcon 99-06 93 Disco
Local Shire Southern Zone Mechanic.
asavage
Site Admin

Post by asavage »

davehoos wrote:4X4 often have heavier clamping pressure to reduce slipage in sand.
Slippage in sand? Slippage of what?
davehoos

Post by davehoos »

clutch slipage, its the weak link.the idea in sand is to keep the vehicle moving. if it bogs down you may need to ride the clutch for some time.

vehicles used in sandy area spec a stronger clutch as it takes more grunt to drive through sand. dust/sand gets in between the friction surfaces, so cooling grooves are needed. its not a good idea to seal up the housing but often there is no other choice. this leads to overheating of the clutch and starter motor. most nissans are not sealed.

clutch cover plates come in different pressure ratings standard.
normal everyday suburban driver pickups dont require over the top units. this helps with drivability. most of the uprated parts are not listed in parts manuals unless they become needed parts.

datsun 4x4 [720/d21] sold in hilly areas of middle east have lower first gear lower diff ratio bigger tyres and heavier clutch.

i fitted lots of uprated clutches to patrol and 4X2 utes in the dealership. this area has lots of recreational fishing and caravan/horse floats. builders utes dont need this extra work.

when you buy an after market clutch you have to check the rating. one company may have different specs to another based on customer needs/feed back in that area and the friction material used.
bacho

Post by bacho »

It takes alot of clutch slip to get it rolling, 1st gear feels alot more like 2nd than it should. So at an intersection or even a big hill if I dont let the power come on easy it will slip like hell. Its a factory clutch will 100,000 plus miles and I am sure its just worn out. I have a contact to get exedy clutches pretty cheap, $100 or so. But I didnt see a listing for the diesel.
1985 KC 720 4x4
1982 KC 720
asavage
Site Admin

Post by asavage »

I bought a cheap Exedy clutch kit for the '86 gasser-to-diesel conversion here, but I haven't installed it yet. I bought it off eBay, new kit, paid $101 shipped to me ($83 + $18 shipping).

On the eBay auction, it was specifically listed to fit the SD22. Actually, now that I look, the auction text is still available:
Vehicle Application
1975 - 1983 Nissan Pickup Truck with 2.2L (Z22, SD22)
The Exedy kit I received is 06004, which Exedy's site lists as fitting all the 720 engines as well as the 200SX and '81-84 Maximas (all engines).

In my first '82 720 SD, I put an ARI kit in, turned the flywheel, spotless prep, and still had some clutch judder, which really PO'd me. It wasn't shocks or springs, it was a bad pressure plate, and the 720 trans is not fun to R&R.
Regards,
Al S.

1982 Maxima diesel wagon, 2nd & 4th owner, 165k miles, rusty & burgundy/grey. Purchased 1996, SOLD 16Feb10
1983 Maxima diesel wagon, 199k miles, rusty, light yellow/light brown. SOLD 14Jul07
1981 720 SD22 (scrapped 04Sep07)
1983 Sentra CD17, 255k, bought 06Jul08, gave it away 22Jun10.
davehoos

Post by davehoos »

i was wondering how you get clutch kit under us$100.
i had a look at the site it shows specs for stag 1-i assumed they are standard.

a stock pressure plate is under half ton clamping pressure.
i looked up my 910 L20B manual and it was around third ton.
CA20 910 400Kg .this is what i have used in LD20T.

i would normally fit 3/4 ton organic clutch to a ute/wagon with a heavy duty tow bar.

factory skyline RB30E is 1200 LB i find this a bit weak in traffic.
philip
Deceased

Re: clutch

Post by philip »

bacho wrote:Ever since I did my swap I have been thinking the clutch was bad and I found today that it really is in bad shape. The questions is what clutch is a good choice and will one from the z24 or VG30 fit? I happen to had a brand new exedy for the vg30 in my shop but I think its bigger than I remember the diesel clutch being.
Maybe you should keep the stock clutch now. :roll:

"bacho" writes...
"On a side note, I nearly flipped the 720 today. When I leave my house there is a stop sign 20 feet from my driveway and then a long straight with a 35mph curve a the end of it. I go around this curve like normal at 45-50 and nearly lost control of the truck, scared the crap out of me. Pulled over and the right rear tire was completely out of air but since the truck is so light that the sidewalls held it up at a stand still so it really wasn't so noticeable."
-Philip
Passed 08May2008
My friend, you are missed . . .

1982 Datsun 720KC SD-22

"Im slow and I'm ahead of you"
bacho

Post by bacho »

I dont know what your point is, My 720 has bigger tires with stiff sidewalls so it didnt and still doesnt appear flat and I said I almost had an accident finding out it was out of air.
1985 KC 720 4x4
1982 KC 720
philip
Deceased

Post by philip »

bacho wrote:I dont know what your point is, My 720 has bigger tires with stiff sidewalls so it didnt and still doesnt appear flat and I said I almost had an accident finding out it was out of air.
More clutch slip = slower speed.
Higher height makes vehicle tip-overs more likely.

SUVs are always the first to high side.
-Philip
Passed 08May2008
My friend, you are missed . . .

1982 Datsun 720KC SD-22

"Im slow and I'm ahead of you"
bacho

Post by bacho »

I dont think thats an issue, the 720 still handles well with air in the tires. Not to mention that both my Pathfinder and my Jeep have much more body roll and are considerably faster.
1985 KC 720 4x4
1982 KC 720