Rear leaf springs

Dealing with all subsystems specific to the diesel powered Datsun-Nissan 720 pickup trucks.

Moderators: plenzen, Nissan_Ranger

bklake

Rear leaf springs

Post by bklake »

Short intro. I was able convince my Dad that his little Datsun needs a better home. It has been used on his farm for the past 15 years where tow ratings and load limits don't apply. This truck has been in the family since the day it rolled off the dealer lot. I plan to keep it around a lot longer. It has survived every indignity that a diesel can survive and continues to soldier on.

The first issue that needs to be dealt with is the rear leaf springs. They are shot, worn half way through. Does anybody know what rear leaf springs will fit an 82 pickup? Nothing in the junk yards. Leaf spring builder wants $500/side to build a set.
82 720 King Cab 115,000 miles
asavage
Site Admin

Post by asavage »

Welcome!

Please edit your Profile (link in the nav bar at the top of every page) and add your geographic location. This will save a lot of dialogue, believe me.

Where I am, 720 rear leaf springs are readily available in JYs. About US$25 a pair.
Regards,
Al S.

1982 Maxima diesel wagon, 2nd & 4th owner, 165k miles, rusty & burgundy/grey. Purchased 1996, SOLD 16Feb10
1983 Maxima diesel wagon, 199k miles, rusty, light yellow/light brown. SOLD 14Jul07
1981 720 SD22 (scrapped 04Sep07)
1983 Sentra CD17, 255k, bought 06Jul08, gave it away 22Jun10.
bklake

Post by bklake »

I'm in Virginia but the Datsun is currently in Utah. It is in my brother's garage. This is the first time in 25 years it under a roof, I hope it doesn't react badly to the princess treatment. We drove it 600 miles from New Mexico and it got 36-38 MPG for the trip.

I was ready to drive it to Virginia in May until I looked at the weather forecast and noticed that it was going to be in the high 90's across the US. No A/C, no go. We may keep it in UT, the weather is better there for a non A/C car.

After looking at the springs, it was I good thing I didn't try to drive it here. They really need to be replaced.

Since the Datsun is pretty rare now, a list of compatible springs would be nice. I'll have to use what I can find. Not sure of the salvage yard situation in UT but in VA, cars don't stay in the yard long before they are crushed.
82 720 King Cab 115,000 miles
asavage
Site Admin

Post by asavage »

Looking at a national database of JYs, there are five possibilities for std-duty rear leaf springs for an '82 720 in Utah JYs (Orem, Chester, Ogden), ranging from $35 to $50 each.

In the Seattle/Tacoma area, the JYs I use are U-Pull-It style yards, so the labor is mine to pull them, but the prices are very very low. 720s (right now) are plentiful but not as plentiful as in the past. They rust bad out here (in comparison to other, similar small trucks of that era, not compared to whree you are!). These JYs crush everything in the yard on a two-three month cycle.
Regards,
Al S.

1982 Maxima diesel wagon, 2nd & 4th owner, 165k miles, rusty & burgundy/grey. Purchased 1996, SOLD 16Feb10
1983 Maxima diesel wagon, 199k miles, rusty, light yellow/light brown. SOLD 14Jul07
1981 720 SD22 (scrapped 04Sep07)
1983 Sentra CD17, 255k, bought 06Jul08, gave it away 22Jun10.