Mounting the oil pickup for a SD22 swap into a 4x4 oil pan

Dealing with all subsystems specific to the diesel powered Datsun-Nissan 720 pickup trucks.

Moderators: plenzen, Nissan_Ranger

TruckA

Mounting the oil pickup for a SD22 swap into a 4x4 oil pan

Post by TruckA »

I finished the pan last night, I had to go back and cut some spots out and re-weld where it wouldn't clear. I now have the task of placing the oil pickup off to the side where the most of the oil will rest in the 4x4 pan. The stock sd22 oil pickup bolts directly to the bottom of the aluminum oil pump with the stock sd22 pan, but it won't work with the 4x4 pan since it hits the bottom of the pan where it curves. The z24 engine has a steel tube that routes the pickup to the sweet spot in the pan, so I've been trying to figure out how to mix the oil pickup parts to find a reasonable solution. I wanted to see what others may have come up with before I reinvent a wheel.

One thought of mine is to cut threads on the round aluminum section of the oil pump from the sd22 with a 1/2" NPT die since the piece is very close to 1/2" NPT already and then just use regular brass or iron pipe to get the pickup in the right spot. But, when looking for a die, I found that the 1/2" NPT will cost $68 from Grainger. I'd hate to buy the die and probably only use it once for this job so I may just go to a machine shop if I go this route. Another thought is that I can work with aluminum tube, and weld that directly to the sd22's oil pump pickup, but it would have to be some strong aluminum tube, or I'd have to find somewhere I could brace the tube so I wouldn't have to worry about it breaking. Anyone have a suggestion of something that may work? I can get some pictures posted if necessary to help visualize all of this.

Thanks,

David
asavage
Site Admin

Post by asavage »

I can't be of much help, other than generic advice.

I would discourage putting external threads on the oil pump. The SD vibrates a lot, and the root of a thread is an excellent place for a crack to begin. Aerated oil isn't good.

I hope someone else can give more specific advice.
bacho

Post by bacho »

I was able to use the stock sd22 pick up in mine, kinda made my pain with that in mind because modding that pick up would be a total pita.
1992 nissan pathfinder 4x4
1985 KC 720 4x4
1982 KC 720
philip
Deceased

Re: Mounting the oil pickup for a SD22 swap into a 4x4 oil p

Post by philip »

TruckA wrote:SNIP- Anyone have a suggestion of something that may work? I can get some pictures posted if necessary to help visualize all of this.
Thanks,
David
I wonder how Mike fitted anSD22 into his Samuai jeep

Ask?
-Philip
Passed 08May2008
My friend, you are missed . . .

1982 Datsun 720KC SD-22

"Im slow and I'm ahead of you"
TooManyIdeas

Post by TooManyIdeas »

Just an FYI. Check out MSCDIRECT.com for tools and materials. I've delt wth them for years and they have always been cheaper.
82 Datsun 720 King Cab Diesel - FOR SALE !!!!
85 Chevy Monte Carlo CL
90 Toyota Pickup -SOLD
05 Kia Spectra 5
02 Dodge Dakota Quadcab
-OOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHH YEAH!!!!!
TruckA

Post by TruckA »

Well, here's what I came up with over the weekend. I first was able to cut threads with an iron fitting that I 'modified' so that the aluminum shavings would come out as I tapped on the fitting and cut the threads. After cutting it, I didn't think it would work too well b/c a pipe would still hit the bottom of the pan when screwed on. So, I cut really close to the pump outlet and used a 3/8 NPT tap that I had and just used iron/steel fittings. I used red loctite on the threads and it seems to be pretty solid. I worry a little about iron and steel playing together through hot and cold cycles with different expansion rates, so I could go back and use brass fittings instead. But, I wonder if the oil will really get hot enough to make a real fuss about it, I know that many engines use aluminum heads on iron blocks, and problems only arise when the engine overheats, plus cylinder head temperatures will be hotter than the oil temperature. Anyways, what do you all think? The first pic is of the original threads that I cut with the leftover iron fitting, I was glad I could 'engineer' a part to work instead of buying a $70 die :). I haven't driven an sd22 powered vehicle yet, so if these engines vibrate alot, I could go back and add a brace from the steel pickup assembly back to one of the oil pump bolts.

David

asavage
Site Admin

Post by asavage »

Heat and steel will be fine. But the thermal expansion rate of aluminum is twice that of steel, so the pump's inlet fitting may become loose enough to swivel, loctite or no.

I am uncomfortable with that pickup's mass being cantilevered to an aluminum casting, even in a gasser. I suggest a separate brace from the screen end to something solid, and neutral to slightly preloaded upward (~3 lbs.)

The OEM design is much lighter than yours, and the lesser mass reduces the force on the end of the pump (the pump's inlet) (I think that's called the bending moment.)

Adding a brace near the screen will kill both tweeties with a single marble: the vibrational load will be nullified by the brace, and the brace won't allow movement of the pickup assy. when the interference fit of the alum. pump inlet/steel street ell is reduced when the temp goes up.
Regards,
Al S.

1982 Maxima diesel wagon, 2nd & 4th owner, 165k miles, rusty & burgundy/grey. Purchased 1996, SOLD 16Feb10
1983 Maxima diesel wagon, 199k miles, rusty, light yellow/light brown. SOLD 14Jul07
1981 720 SD22 (scrapped 04Sep07)
1983 Sentra CD17, 255k, bought 06Jul08, gave it away 22Jun10.
TruckA

Post by TruckA »

Thanks for the feedback, that will be an easy one to do. I'll probably have to run the brace close to the first 90 degree bend out of the oil pump in order to clear the pan. If I didn't use the brace, it still wouldn't come all the way off since there's not enough room in the pan for the whole assembly to turn, but it will be good to prevent any parts from becoming loose inside the pan.

David
philip
Deceased

Post by philip »

I agree with Al. A long cantilevered pickup pipe ... combined with engine vibration ... and the heated iron vs aluminum relation ... not the best.

ALL long pickup pipes are light weight and for good reasons.

Maybe some ideas for oil pump pickups from Summit Racing.

http://store.summitracing.com/egnsearch ... toview=sku

There's 7 pages to see! Click on each thumbnail for larger views.
-Philip
Passed 08May2008

1982 Datsun 720KC SD-22

TruckA

Post by TruckA »

I never seen so many oil pickups in a single viewing! I'm going to be daring and add a brace and use the pickup as is. I think it will be okay, the steel threads are in there pretty far into the aluminum, and the aluminum housing will expand more around the steel. If it was an aluminum fitting going inside of steel threads, I think I would have more of a risk of cracking since the aluminum would be fighting harder to expand. I'll keep an eye on the oil pressure gauge when its up and running. I've got an oil temp gauge on my turbo truck with the sensor in the pan and I've only seen it get as high as 180 degrees, if the fitting was going into a higher temp environment, I wouldn't use it.
philip
Deceased

Post by philip »

TruckA wrote:I never seen so many oil pickups in a single viewing! I'm going to be daring and add a brace and use the pickup as is. -SNIP-.
Are you keeping installed the DPC injection and oil pump system? For you ... the extra safety is that your injection pump will be SHUT DOWN automatically the second your oil drops to 8-10 psi.

May I suggest: drill and safety wire (twisted) the four bolts fastening the oil pump plate to the oil pump house.

Examples:
http://www.ultralightnews.com/pilotslou ... tywire.htm

Scroll down to "...proper safety wire techniques."
-Philip
Passed 08May2008

1982 Datsun 720KC SD-22

bacho

Post by bacho »

How about some foam like for fuel cells to help support it?
1992 nissan pathfinder 4x4
1985 KC 720 4x4
1982 KC 720
TruckA

Post by TruckA »

Using the wire isn't a bad idea at all, I like the extra safety net, so I'll implement it. Thanks for the information.

David