Glow plug relay "motorboating"

Dealing with all subsystems specific to the diesel powered Datsun-Nissan 720 pickup trucks.

Moderators: plenzen, Nissan_Ranger

cseger1

Glow plug relay "motorboating"

Post by cseger1 »

Sorry if the term motorboating doesn't make sense. I can't think of another way to describe it though. After removing some of the "extra" wiring in my truck (PO had patched around every system with discrete wiring to the battery and inline fuses YAY!) I came out to find my battery dead. Once I got it charged up I turned the key and heard the relay come on for about 10 seconds. Then the relay started oscillating from on to off really fast, resembling the sound of motorboat. Any idea why? Thanks

Christian
Christian
1981 720 SD22
cseger1

Post by cseger1 »

Actually, they're all motorboating. I think the battery is not fully charged despite the reading of 13V on the meter.
Christian
1981 720 SD22
asavage
Site Admin

Post by asavage »

When a relay feeds a circuit that drags the relay coils input below latch value, the relay drops out. Immediately, the source voltage rises and the relay re-engages. Lather, Rinse, Repeat. "Motorboating" accurately describes the sound.

Low battery, bad battery, bad connection, or load that is being switched is too much for the circuit (ie a short downstream of the relay). Those are pretty much your only options.
Regards,
Al S.

1982 Maxima diesel wagon, 2nd & 4th owner, 165k miles, rusty & burgundy/grey. Purchased 1996, SOLD 16Feb10
1983 Maxima diesel wagon, 199k miles, rusty, light yellow/light brown. SOLD 14Jul07
1981 720 SD22 (scrapped 04Sep07)
1983 Sentra CD17, 255k, bought 06Jul08, gave it away 22Jun10.