Speedometer hookup

Dealing with all subsystems specific to the diesel powered Datsun-Nissan 720 pickup trucks.

Moderators: plenzen, Nissan_Ranger

cseger1

Speedometer hookup

Post by cseger1 »

Anybody have a good method for hooking the speedo back up after a disassembly? My ape hands are not getting it done. Thanks
Christian
1981 720 SD22
asavage
Site Admin

Post by asavage »

While I haven't put a instrument cluster back in to a 720 (to my recollection), it's the same setup as the Maximas. Spray some lube or soapy water on the speedo cable on the engine side of the firewall, then pull slack in the cable, pulling from the inside. You obtain enough slack so you can hold the cluster out a couple of inches with one hand, snap the cable onto the back of the speedo with the other hand. Connect one or both electrical connectors, then push the cluster into place. The speedo cable then slides though the grommet back to the engine side.

At least, that's what I'm imagining.
philip
Deceased

Post by philip »

asavage wrote:While I haven't put a instrument cluster back in to a 720 (to my recollection), it's the same setup as the Maximas. Spray some lube or soapy water on the speedo cable on the engine side of the firewall, then pull slack in the cable, pulling from the inside. You obtain enough slack so you can hold the cluster out a couple of inches with one hand, snap the cable onto the back of the speedo with the other hand. Connect one or both electrical connectors, then push the cluster into place. The speedo cable then slides though the grommet back to the engine side.

At least, that's what I'm imagining.
Ditto. I have not had my cluster out for over a year!
-Philip
Passed 08May2008
My friend, you are missed . . .

1982 Datsun 720KC SD-22

"Im slow and I'm ahead of you"
cseger1

Post by cseger1 »

Thanks for the tips. Worked like a charm. :)
Christian
1981 720 SD22
TruckA

Post by TruckA »

I may need to do this soon, I think my speedometer cable is carrying oil from the transmission and dripping it on my feet. I don't know of another way for oil to be carried up behind the dash on the driver's side.
1984 Nissan 720 4x4 gasser converted to SD22 diesel power, now with boost
2001 Subaru Impreza 2.5 RS daily driver
1988 Mitsubishi Mighty Max Turbo for fun -Sold-
Raleigh, NC
kassim503

Post by kassim503 »

TruckA wrote:I may need to do this soon, I think my speedometer cable is carrying oil from the transmission and dripping it on my feet. I don't know of another way for oil to be carried up behind the dash on the driver's side.
I would look at the breather and check if its plugged, cause that sounds like there is pressure built up in the trans.
'83 maxima sedan, l24e, a/t, black

227K SOLD 6/7/2012
TruckA

Post by TruckA »

Good thought, I'll check it out.
1984 Nissan 720 4x4 gasser converted to SD22 diesel power, now with boost
2001 Subaru Impreza 2.5 RS daily driver
1988 Mitsubishi Mighty Max Turbo for fun -Sold-
Raleigh, NC
philip
Deceased

Post by philip »

TruckA wrote:I may need to do this soon, I think my speedometer cable is carrying oil from the transmission and dripping it on my feet. I don't know of another way for oil to be carried up behind the dash on the driver's side.
Transmission speedo drive

Inside this speedo drive is a tiny little oil seal. This assembly costs about $32+ from Nissan dealerships.
-Philip
Passed 08May2008
My friend, you are missed . . .

1982 Datsun 720KC SD-22

"Im slow and I'm ahead of you"