Request for FSM info on leaf spring for pickup

Dealing with all subsystems specific to the diesel powered Datsun-Nissan 720 pickup trucks.

Moderators: plenzen, Nissan_Ranger

rlaggren

Request for FSM info on leaf spring for pickup

Post by rlaggren »

I'm trying to get a line on leaf springs for the Maxima - and also "helper" type springs. I'm running to NLA for the Maxima springs and so am looking at other vehicles with similar springs. However, getting the functional specs for various vehicles has so far be hit/miss - ie. the the length, width, unloaded camber, and spring rates for any vehicle or for spring products are not directly available. I have found some info and measured various springs at the JY, but it's like pulling teeth.

I think the Nissan PU's may have similar springs to the Maxima, but I have not way to find the spring rate or the unloaded camber; 720 vehicle weight would also be nice. The suspension part of the FSM for the Maximas lists the rear spring info and similar info may be available for the 720's. If so I'd greatly appreciate a copy of that page (easiest for those w/a scanner) or a run down on the specs.

Important info is:

Length when flat (eye to eye); Width; unloaded camber; and...

For the maxima the loaded camber is listed along with a loaded weight per spring; that's how I get the average rate at rest. Hopefully the 720 FSM will have similar info.

Thanks.
Rufus
82 Maxima wagon
scott

Post by scott »

Rufus, hope this is what you wanted

1993 Nissan D-21 truck gas converted to SD22 diesel
rlaggren

Post by rlaggren »

Scott,

Thanks. That nailed it exactly. It looks like a bolt-in for the Maxima.

There are differences - number of leafs, higher free arc (Maxima is ~5.5" IIRC).

The spring rate looks weird - like the number is doubled, referring to both springs acting together; the rate I calculate for a single pack from the free camber vs. the loaded camber at the spec'd weight works out about 150#/in and that's close to the rate I calc'd for the Maxima (FSM's not here to check).

If the PU springs are more readily available, this might be a workable fix for butt sprung 81-82 wagons. Progress! <g>

Rufus
82 Maxima wagon