UD diesel alternator for a 720 82 pickup?

Dealing with all subsystems specific to the diesel powered Datsun-Nissan 720 pickup trucks.

Moderators: plenzen, Nissan_Ranger

zoomsplatt

UD diesel alternator for a 720 82 pickup?

Post by zoomsplatt »

does anybody know if it will work? I blew mine up and don't have time nor the inclination to rebuild it :) they look about the same in the photo anyway, except for the oil line to the vacuum pump uses a different fitting, I just need to know if the brackets will fit and is there any wiring problems just hoping someone here has seen one of these or used one themselves.
Thanks in advance: zoomsplatt
I was feeling depressed so I called lifeline, I got an exchange in Afghanistan, I told them I was suicidal they got all excited and asked if I could drive a truck:)
asavage
Site Admin

Post by asavage »

I think the UD version is quite a bit larger, but that is only a guess, I've only seen a couple of them.

One of our members has successfully put a Maxima diesel alternator on his 720, pretty much a bolt-on.

I've got a couple of used SD alternators here.
Regards,
Al S.

1982 Maxima diesel wagon, 2nd & 4th owner, 165k miles, rusty & burgundy/grey. Purchased 1996, SOLD 16Feb10
1983 Maxima diesel wagon, 199k miles, rusty, light yellow/light brown. SOLD 14Jul07
1981 720 SD22 (scrapped 04Sep07)
1983 Sentra CD17, 255k, bought 06Jul08, gave it away 22Jun10.
asavage
Site Admin

Post by asavage »

Bill came by today and picked up a couple of alternators (LD28 lightly rebuilt; SD22 untested), along with a IPC motor, a couple mirrors, and an MF switch. That ought to keep him busy for a few hours!

Bill, this is one post where a member put an LD28 (LR160) alternator on an SD.

And, you are correct: the 720 does have a headlight Hi/Low relay.
Regards,
Al S.

1982 Maxima diesel wagon, 2nd & 4th owner, 165k miles, rusty & burgundy/grey. Purchased 1996, SOLD 16Feb10
1983 Maxima diesel wagon, 199k miles, rusty, light yellow/light brown. SOLD 14Jul07
1981 720 SD22 (scrapped 04Sep07)
1983 Sentra CD17, 255k, bought 06Jul08, gave it away 22Jun10.
zoomsplatt

headlight relay

Post by zoomsplatt »

hi Al
made it back just after 9 p.m.up here in wonderful bow WA. and of course where it's sunshine everywhere else it's cold drizzly crap here so I'm not going to get to do anything tonight on it, maybe tomorrow after I get a engine ready to ship along with some paint, the shipping companies put you through loops now when it comes to anything considered hazardous like paint, I've got two 5 gallon cans to ship to Georgia along with a three cylinder Volvo marine engine and as long as I drain the fluids out of the engine there's no problem but to ship the paint I have to build a 3/4" plywood box for it, line it with two layers of heavy plastic sheet, and 2 inches of rigid foam packing,then seal the outside of it with more plastic sheet put labels all over it stating that its paint, like these solid steel cans of paint are going to destroy the world if one of them leaks, the only way they would leak is if somebody shot one or ran over it with a truck and a box around it isn't going to help much, it'sI love the EPA.
Like I said hopefully I can get to the truck before the weekend and get all these goodies on then I can start figuring out what to do with the bed, like I said I'm thinking about putting a later model truck bed on there but I also had the idea that since I'm a welder of building an aluminum flatbed, kind of like the ones on the trucks that you can rent from Lowe's with the fold down sides only with wheel wells to keep it lower,they're really neat beds,you get a chance to take a look at one..
later Bill K.(a.k.a. zoomsplatt)
I was feeling depressed so I called lifeline, I got an exchange in Afghanistan, I told them I was suicidal they got all excited and asked if I could drive a truck:)
zoomsplatt

Post by zoomsplatt »

PS.I thought I was right about that relay :) You missed your chance,you could have sold me one of them to.