Tune Up 101.... Please help.

Dealing with all subsystems specific to the diesel powered Datsun-Nissan 720 pickup trucks.

Moderators: plenzen, Nissan_Ranger

dieselhed

Tune Up 101.... Please help.

Post by dieselhed »

Greetings All!!!

I am embarking on my first DIY project. I need to change out all my filters and fluids. I have a Chiltons but as I have read a FSM is the w2g for info.
I have also read through most of the threads here and found useful stuff. I was able to find parts of the FSM but I am lacking the EF section.

I have all these parts so far: Oil,fuel,air filters; thermostat and gasket; Oil pan drain plugs;pertinent fluids. The oil and air filters are self explanatory, as are the thermostat and radiator.

I am unsure as to the exact procedure of changing the main fuel filter.
(I have an '81 SD, so only 1 fuel filter.) Are there any particular concerns?I was going to replace all of the attached lines/hoses as well.(5 in all)I have read somewhere something about "bleeding the fuel filter".

If perhaps someone has the necessary pages of the FSM with fluid capacities I would appreciate that..... Meanwhile I scour the net for an intact FSM.

Thanks mucho for any advice!!!!

Jeremy
dieselhed

1981 720 KC 5sp. SD22
asavage
Site Admin

Post by asavage »

If you're going to have a 720 diesel, you're going to have to have a FSM.

eBay "always" has them. Without looking too hard, here's one for $25, shipped.
Regards,
Al S.

1982 Maxima diesel wagon, 2nd & 4th owner, 165k miles, rusty & burgundy/grey. Purchased 1996, SOLD 16Feb10
1983 Maxima diesel wagon, 199k miles, rusty, light yellow/light brown. SOLD 14Jul07
1981 720 SD22 (scrapped 04Sep07)
1983 Sentra CD17, 255k, bought 06Jul08, gave it away 22Jun10.