Binding vacuum pump rotor

Dealing with all subsystems specific to the diesel powered Datsun-Nissan 720 pickup trucks.

Moderators: plenzen, Nissan_Ranger

cseger1

Binding vacuum pump rotor

Post by cseger1 »

So I got a new (rebuilt) alternator from Orielly today ($130). Got the old pump (which was working fine) bolted on and put the whole thing in the truck and fired her up.

No spinny spinny. I took it back out of the truck, thank god for air tools, and took a closer look. Its the vacuum pump rotor. When the two halves of the assembly are pushed together it binds the rotor. What the hell? Even when i just hold the pieces together it sticks. I put it together exactly like the picture in the FSM. Any ideas?????????
Christian
1981 720 SD22
asavage
Site Admin

Post by asavage »

If at any point the pieces fell out of the pump (and it's easy to do), then you have the rotor in backward -- probably. It's got a counterbore on one end only, IIRC.
Regards,
Al S.

1982 Maxima diesel wagon, 2nd & 4th owner, 165k miles, rusty & burgundy/grey. Purchased 1996, SOLD 16Feb10
1983 Maxima diesel wagon, 199k miles, rusty, light yellow/light brown. SOLD 14Jul07
1981 720 SD22 (scrapped 04Sep07)
1983 Sentra CD17, 255k, bought 06Jul08, gave it away 22Jun10.
philip
Deceased

Re: Binding vacuum pump rotor

Post by philip »

cseger1 wrote:SNIP- When the two halves of the assembly are pushed together it binds the rotor. What the hell? Even when i just hold the pieces together it sticks. I put it together exactly like the picture in the FSM. Any ideas?????????
Note closely, the radiused end of the rotor tip faces the "run" and the vacuum pump housing orientation to the alternator.

Vac pump oil supply

ImageImage
Last edited by philip 17 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
-Philip
Passed 08May2008
My friend, you are missed . . .

1982 Datsun 720KC SD-22

"Im slow and I'm ahead of you"
cseger1

Post by cseger1 »

Thanks for the tip. Before I posted I thought I tried it both ways, but I must have been wrong. Anyway, I got the whole thing put back togerther and in the truck. I am charging again Woooohooooooooo!!!. That only leaves a million other things to fix.

Philip, I'll have the measurements you seek from the stock alternator this afternoon.
Christian
1981 720 SD22