In line Block Heater Install

Dealing with all subsystems specific to the diesel powered Datsun-Nissan 720 pickup trucks.

Moderators: plenzen, Nissan_Ranger

TooManyIdeas

In line Block Heater Install

Post by TooManyIdeas »

So after reading so many different write ups about the horrors of cold starting and finally experiencing them first hand I found it was time to install a block warmer. I won a KAT’S Lower Radiator Hose engine heater (Part # KH5) on EBay for about $25 and commenced with the install.
I had an epiphany on how to do a radiator flush at the same time with absolutely no mess. Two words Shop Vac. Sounds stupid but I got all the coolant out and safely contained with out so much as a drop on the ground.
As per the directions, I removed a one inch section of hose from the lower radiator hose as close to the engine as possible and installed heater with the supplied clamps.

Now when I removed the hose section I noticed excessive dirt deposits so rather than adding new coolant, I poured in this cooling system cleaner from Prestone. It says to let it cycle through the system for about 6 hours of normal driving (a week in my case). This weekend I will swap to normal 50/50 Antifreeze with Royal Purple’s Purple Ice additive.

Now as for the heater, I was told that with a block heater I’d have “Instant Heat” in the mornings. Now the temperature of the air coming out of the vents may be a few degrees warmer than ambient, it is by no stretch of the imagination HEAT. But it does do what it was designed to. I go out let the glow plugs do their thing once, and she starts right up. No misfiring, no excessively cycling the glow plugs, just start and go.
82 Datsun 720 King Cab Diesel - FOR SALE !!!!
85 Chevy Monte Carlo CL
90 Toyota Pickup -SOLD
05 Kia Spectra 5
02 Dodge Dakota Quadcab
-OOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHH YEAH!!!!!