NissanDiesel forums

Nissan diesel engines, and the people who love them
It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 1:42 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post Number:#1  PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 12:51 pm 
Okay, so I have been driving around my 1980 Scout International for a year now. I love the truck and have vowed to own it forever. It has the SD33T except the previous owner told me that the turbo was most likely not working.

After a year of tinkering with the SD33T, I decided I wanted to go deeper, so I was looking for a SD33T for sale (theory is - so that I could do an entire rebuild, then swap out the one in the Scout for the one I just rebuilt).

It worked out a little bit differently. I just bought a SD33 (without the Turbo of course) because I was able to pick one up 150 miles away for $400.

So, question #1 - Is it flawed logic to think that I can learn the inner workings of a SD33T by working on a SD33?

Question #2 - Would I be able to put an after market Turbo on the SD33? And is that a easy, moderate or advanced project?

Question #3 - I have seen several rebuild kits online, mostly offered in New Zealand and Australia that include Pistons, Rings, Seals, Bearings, etc. The price is somewhere around $900 - $1200. Is this the way to go (have the stuff shipped from over there?) or is there a US resource that would have those parts (I'd like to purchase in the next 6 months, not wait around until someone offers something on Craigslist or Ebay)?

Question #4 - How similar is the SD33 to the SD33T, I know that the T came later, and the SD33 was offered for several years prior, is there a big difference between the earlier SD33 and the SD33T other then the Turbo Charger?

Question #5 - Here is the label on the engine. Can anyone tell me what year this engine is, or do I need to look somewhere else?

Model: CN6-33 ND Model: SD331D
Serial No: 020550
Rated Output 89 MP at 3800 RPM (i think that's what it says)

Thanks for you thoughts/feedback. I love the forum and please remember i am a novice, so if you would be so kind to reply, please keep your answers relatively basic, I am still learning as I go. Cheers.

Post Number:#2  PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 3:01 pm 
Site Admin

dogwhistle wrote:
So, question #1 - Is it flawed logic to think that I can learn the inner workings of a SD33T by working on a SD33?

They are quite similar to each other.

Quote:
Question #2 - Would I be able to put an after market Turbo on the SD33? And is that a easy, moderate or advanced project?

Yes, but . . .
(see below)

Quote:
Question #3 - I have seen several rebuild kits online, mostly offered in New Zealand and Australia that include Pistons, Rings, Seals, Bearings, etc. The price is somewhere around $900 - $1200. Is this the way to go (have the stuff shipped from over there?)

See this thread for some basic info, this thread for my recent experience importing piston/liner sets.

Quote:
Question #4 - How similar is the SD33 to the SD33T, I know that the T came later, and the SD33 was offered for several years prior, is there a big difference between the earlier SD33 and the SD33T other then the Turbo Charger?

See this article for the baseline, this post for a scanned article detailing the differences between the 1979 NA SD33 and the 1980 SD33T. Nissan didn't just bolt on a turbo. You can just bolt on a turbo, but the SD33 was sometimes a fairly fragile engine and the internal strengthening Nissan did is a good idea to retain.

Quote:
Question #5 - Here is the label on the engine. Can anyone tell me what year this engine is, or do I need to look somewhere else?

Model: CN6-33 ND Model: SD331D
Serial No: 020550
Rated Output 89 MP at 3800 RPM (i think that's what it says)

Unfortunately, that appears to be a marine engine. Someone more knowledgeable about the SD33s will have to chime in here.

1982 Maxima diesel wagon, 2nd & 4th owner, 165k miles, rusty & burgundy/grey. Purchased 1996, SOLD 16Feb10
1983 Maxima diesel wagon, 199k miles, rusty, light yellow/light brown. SOLD 14Jul07
1981 720 SD22 (scrapped 04Sep07)
1983 Sentra CD17, 255k, bought 06Jul08, gave it away 22Jun10.

Post Number:#3  PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 1:53 pm 

If you are interested, I have a mid-70's Scout II with a Chrysler Nissan Turbo diesel engine #CN6-33 Model no. SD331D. The Scout was rolled but, the engine and tranny seem to be intact. I have a '61 Scout 80 that I had thoughts of putting this engine into, but time and money have changed my mind. Thought about putting it on EBay or Craigslist.

Post Number:#4  PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 3:19 am 

StormyKnight wrote:
If you are interested, I have a mid-70's Scout II with a Chrysler Nissan Turbo diesel engine #CN6-33 Model no. SD331D. The Scout was rolled but, the engine and tranny seem to be intact. I have a '61 Scout 80 that I had thoughts of putting this engine into, but time and money have changed my mind. Thought about putting it on EBay or Craigslist.

You have a PM

Post Number:#5  PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:35 am 

dogwhistle wrote:

There are just few little differences and later SD33's are without them (100% same as SD33T)

dogwhistle wrote:

It's easy - but...
Old SD33's don't have piston coolers - not sure how durable it is
Later SD33's are all ready with piston coolers and 3 ring steel forced pistons - I have seen SD33 home made kit with VNT turbo from MB and intercooler (14 PSI boost from 1000 to 4000 RPM - awesome acceleration and power :P )

Post subject:
Post Number:#6  PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 10:34 pm 

Do you still have the marine Nissan SD33 ? If you do, would you want to sell it. [/gotopost]