Our Moderator, Philip . . .

Ongoing discussion of anything not related to Nissans or diesels.

Moderators: goglio704, Nissan_Ranger, kassim503

plenzen

Post by plenzen »

Just back home and rather than post all the clips from the week that I was away I will simply say that Phillip has had a series of highs ( if you can even call them that) and some lows,,,,,, a lot of lows. He has been in and out of ICU a number of times and a few close calls as well. Things are, to say the least, somewhat "dire" for Phillip I am sorry to say. His sister states that he is a fighter and has not given up by any means.

This last clip is from the latest update as of the 03 May;

He showed signs of being more tired and somewhat confused, but he greatly appreciated his friends coming from all over, gathering around and talking about old times, old motorcycles, and trips to “far-away places.” Thank to all of you for your prayers and support for Philip. I had no idea of just how many wonderful friends he has known over so many years!

Paul
Retired Pauly
Problem with being retired is that you never get a day off.
1987 D21-J SD25 KC
KJLGD21FN
plenzen

Post by plenzen »

Update as of May 4th

....his condition is considered a Chronic Restrictive Pulmonary Disease (“CRPD”). Pulmonary Fibrosis is the name of this condition.............

.......he would probably need to be moved to a skilled nursing facility. (In the event that Philip is stable enough to do this, it would be the next phase of keeping him medically comfortable and for his nursing care to continue.) .................

.........Thanks to those of you who stopped by today. Even though he may not have immediately recognized you, your loving support of Philip was felt. Please continue to keep him uplifted in your prayers...

Pretty much speaks for itself!
Retired Pauly
1987 D21-J SD25 KC
KJLGD21FN
plenzen

Post by plenzen »

Update as of May 5th

The plan now is to find a local nursing facility that Philip can be transferred to. Philip's comfort now is the main focus of the medical staff and they've been truly wonderful. And to all of his friends, . . .thank you for your continued support and prayers for Philip.
Retired Pauly
1987 D21-J SD25 KC
KJLGD21FN
plenzen

Post by plenzen »

May 6th update

I spoke with the Hospice nurse and we prepared the paperwork necessary to have the nursing home ready for Philip’s arrival on Wednesday.....................
Fountain Care Center. It’s located at 1835 W. La Veta, Orange, CA 92868. Phone: (714) 978-6800. This location is less than a ½ mile from St. Joseph’s Hospital. ..............

Philip should be arriving at the nursing home sometime on Wednesday afternoon

Paul
Retired Pauly
1987 D21-J SD25 KC
KJLGD21FN
plenzen

Post by plenzen »

May 7th Update

Around 2:00 pm, Philip left St. Joseph’s and arrived over at Fountain Care Center. He has a quiet room and is getting situated tonight. He was somewhat agitated by his new surroundings, but I trust that Richard’s staff will be right there for Philip and that he will receive excellent care. If possible, please make every effort to stop by and visit. A cheerful smile and a familiar face makes a big difference. Thanks for your prayers and continued support.

Paul
Retired Pauly
1987 D21-J SD25 KC
KJLGD21FN
plenzen

Post by plenzen »

Update May 08

It is with great sadness that I post this.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Everyone:

I was notified by Fountain Care Center that my brother Philip passed away at 12:10 AM this morning.

====================
Photo and poem below from "FR33777 AOL com" .

(click on image for larger)

LET THE NIGHT SLEEP

Let the night sleep
Sleep for ever deep
With the night I sleep
Beyond the world to peep
Universe will sleep
Plants and trees
Birds and bees
Stars and moon
To sleep very soon!
Fruits and flowers
Joy with showers
Will sleep with me and the night
Not to keep the life very tight!
No dawn of the day
Right upto the dooms day!
Sleep permanent
In the world impermanent
I'll sleep without light
My agonies will sleep
My worries will sleep
My pains will sleep
My sins will sleep!

While in sleep
I am pure
I am peace
I am noble!

While my body is asleep
Awake my soul I keep
Sleep akin to death
Death akin to sleep in mirth?

Let the night sleep
Sleep for ever deep
With night I sleep
Sleep to eternity
Soul to merge in Divinity!

You Will Be Missed! Ride on Philip!!

Patricia

Definitely a crappy day!!
:( :( :cry:

Paul
Retired Pauly
1987 D21-J SD25 KC
KJLGD21FN
goglio704

Post by goglio704 »

Sad news. He will be missed. Please offer my sympathies to his sister.
Matt B.

83 Maxima Sedan, LD28, 5 speed, white, 130k miles. My original Maxima.
83 Maxima Sedan converted from gasser, LD28, 5 speed, 2 tone blue, 230k miles
82 Maxima Sedan, LD28, 3 speed auto, 2 tone Gray/Silver, 140k miles
81 810 Sedan, LD28, 3 speed auto, rust, rust, and more rust!

2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
redmondjp

Post by redmondjp »

Yes, +1. Let his family know that he and them have been in my thoughts and prayers lately. I never met him, but through this forum got to feel that if we were ever to meet up, we would become fast friends.

It's a sober reminder that all of us will sooner or later (let's hope later) will return to the dust of the earth, and all of our toys, diesel-powered or otherwise, will stay here to either rust away or for somebody else to play with. I'm looking forward to someday enjoying my new, eternal toys that won't have a rust problem!
ecomike

Post by ecomike »

Though Philip and I disagreed on several things over time, he was one of those people you could have fun disagreeing with, and still be friends. We meet online over the SD22, I never meet him in person, but we stayed in touch by email. He was always there to offer help to those who needed it. He never asked for anything in return (except pictures, LOL).

In a way he is still here with us on this web site and in our hearts, and will be for some time.

Indeed, He will be sorely missed.

Speaking of toys, just had a thought, all these years it never dawned on me that one day my TOYS, or some of my toys might outlast ME, as they are always dying and breaking being replaced and fixed. But the way this SD22 keeps hanging in there I now realize it may outlast me!
Regards,

Mike

1985 Jeep Cherokee Pioneer, 2WD, retrofitted with SD-22 & 5 spd manual trans, a 4X4 Gas Wagoneer ltd. (XJ) Jeep, 4.0 L w/ AW4 auto, and now 2 spare 2wd Jeeps, 87 & 89.
Nissan_Ranger

Post by Nissan_Ranger »

I, as many here, will miss Phillip whose level of knowledge on the SD-22 was absolutely sensational.

My sincere regrets to his family and friends

N_R
The old 'six gun' was as popular as the cell phone in its time and just as annoying when it went off in the Theater.
rlaggren

Post by rlaggren »

I ran this past Al and he replied to me Friday. He has gone to a lot of work to save Phillip's pictures from off-site servers so they will continue to be available with his posts and he gave his blessings with the proviso he won't be able to spend much more time personally. So I throw this idea out to the whole crew and lets see what others think may make sense.

Is there any interest here in pulling Phillips posts and/or threads together, editing for brevity and pertinence and, perhaps adding personal asides and such to produce a memorial remembrance? Some format which would be readily accessible in this group (because this group is the basis) and also be printable in a way that could be offered to his family.

It could take a fair amount of work to produce and the words of many current members would be a key part. IOW, it's not a no-brainer.

For myself, it looks like we may be positioned to make a small contribution to our bit of online culture and also to his family. What's the feeling? Does anybody have ideas or suggestions?

Thanks, Rufus
82 Maxima wagon
goglio704

Post by goglio704 »

Not sure what you have in mind. Philip's contributions are and will be here if any of his friends or family wish to search it. His travel stories would seem to have the broadest appeal to those who are not as diesel or Nissan obsessed as we. His sister might appreciate some links to some of his threads. I'm just not sure how the content here could be repackaged? Anyone who wishes could quote his posts, copy the quote, paste it in this thread with their comments. Just a thought.
Matt B.

83 Maxima Sedan, LD28, 5 speed, white, 130k miles. My original Maxima.
83 Maxima Sedan converted from gasser, LD28, 5 speed, 2 tone blue, 230k miles
82 Maxima Sedan, LD28, 3 speed auto, 2 tone Gray/Silver, 140k miles
81 810 Sedan, LD28, 3 speed auto, rust, rust, and more rust!

2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
plenzen

Post by plenzen »

I sent his sister a small parargraph with my condolences in it as well as a comment from myself with respect to the friendship, albeit it brief, that he and I had started to form. I did make mention of this forum that he was a big part of and sent her a link to it. I mentioned his countless contributions, advice, expertise etc that he posted here and I do not know if she has ever accessed it (this forum) or not. I have not heard back from her in a couple of weeks. I was sent a recent picture of Phillip from last christmas when he was in Oregon. It is a pretty good photo and can send it when I get back home as I do not have access to it where I am right now.

P
Retired Pauly
1987 D21-J SD25 KC
KJLGD21FN
rlaggren

Post by rlaggren »

On thinking about it, I guess it'd be something like an obit or eulogy, not a catalog or repackaging of posts. So it'd have to be mostly the work of those who knew him best/longest with posts and pics used only to bring out thoughts. Phillip was involved here right up until he got wheeled off and that's a pretty good record anywhere. <g>

Rufus
82 Maxima wagon
asavage
Site Admin

Post by asavage »

I received this email this morning from Stephen Zorn:
Stephen Zorn wrote:Hi Savage,

I'm Stephen Zorn, Phil's best friend. He really liked you guys and would forward many of the e-mails and whatever new thing he did to the old Datsun. I bought the Datsun new and gifted it to Phil 4-5 years ago. This gift to Phil was the best medicine. Phil basically quit driving his almost new Toyota Corolla and fixed and drove the Datsun everywhere. He has it running better that it did when new. He poured countless hours into fixing it and buying spares of spares (just in case). He truly had fun working on the truck and then telling everyone about it. He was a truly gifted mechanic. I also attempted to dull his sharp tongue and teach him the value of Karma and to have something other than crap coming back to him. He truly worked at being a softer person in the last years.

I will truly miss him as a friend and a mechanic. So good to see he made an impact with your group.

Stephen Zorn

stevezorn at yahoocom

P.S. I will buy the Datsun back from his sister and keep it.