Diesel Price

Ongoing discussion of anything not related to Nissans or diesels.

Moderators: goglio704, Nissan_Ranger, kassim503

glenlloyd

Post by glenlloyd »

I would agree with Al in that Paypal is pretty nice from the buyers perspective, but I've had a very poor experience as a buyer too that Paypal failed to make good on.

That's probably when my desire to use Paypal began to wane and I stopped listing it as an accepted payment mechanism.

You cannot charge more for people who wish to pay with Paypal, it's in the user agreement. That said, it doesn't mean that you can't charge everyone as if they were paying with Paypal and stop trying to manage the cost issues.

Certain online auctions now have buyer premiums to make the auctioneer more money, they've done this for years with live antique auctions, the auction houses charge the seller to sell the item and a percentage of the gross to the buyer and that's how the house makes more money. I've just turned it into a buyer premium, for everyone, and for those who don't pay via paypal that's unfortunate but I'm not going to try to manage this hell.

Now if you wanted to encourage people to pay with MO or checks, you could offer a discount on the shipping if they did so. It accomplishes the samething as charging more for paypal/CC but it approaches it from the other end. I don't think they can tell you not to discount!

Personally I'm just tired of middle-men, who have no ownership risk in the items being sold, making a huge killing because the fee structure for both E8ay & paypal is so greedy.

my .02
97 Jetta TDI, 86 VW Golf D
89 VW Fox diesel, 92 MB 300SD W140

gir - won't the sploding hurt?
zim - silence!
philip
Deceased

Post by philip »

asavage wrote:I love PayPal . . . as a buyer. I have had three very bad eBay buyer transactions in the past three years, and in each case I was able to recover all assets merely by showing PayPal the evidence. PayPal has saved me those assets.

But as a Seller, they're expensive.
Agreed. However, those buyers who already have their PayPal account set up are the same people who want their goodies ... QUICK. There's a small fee (2.5-5%). I know this which is why I make damned sure they get their stuff quick!! Check my history. "Man ... you got this FAST!" (typical).

Now MO's have been the same people who send money when they get around to it. And / or they send anything but a United States Post Office MO. That's Flakey. I tell Buyers that US Postal MOs are the only acceptable.
-Philip
Passed 08May2008
My friend, you are missed . . .

1982 Datsun 720KC SD-22

"Im slow and I'm ahead of you"
fud2468

Post by fud2468 »

I use cash only, no debit or credit cards, never have or will use an ATM, do not use credit card to get anything on the net--I try to pay by check by snail mail. If no way to do that, I don't buy.
I also refuse to use self-checkout anywhere--hopefully can save someone's job that way.
Ray Mac.
PS-save gas--don't use drive-throughs.
kassim503

Post by kassim503 »

fud2468 wrote: PS-save gas--don't use drive-throughs.
I find drive throughs more of a PITA than just walking inside. I can never seem to get my wallet out of my pocket without doing a 10 point acrobatic move in the car :lol:
'83 maxima sedan, l24e, a/t, black

227K SOLD 6/7/2012
asavage
Site Admin

Post by asavage »

Bad for your back to sit on your wallet. Use a front pocket. My chiropractor broke me of back pocket wallet storage 25 years ago.
philip
Deceased

Post by philip »

asavage wrote:Bad for your back to sit on your wallet. Use a front pocket. My chiropractor broke me of back pocket wallet storage 25 years ago.
Absolutely agree. And, when I started driving linehaul, I found ear plugs were just as important. :)

To the rest of you guys ... it's better to have one VISA and make sure that you separate an ATM from your VISA. (ie, no VISA-atm card). Request the ATM card by itself.

The Government now knows how to get to you a LOT faster than you think.
-Philip
Passed 08May2008
My friend, you are missed . . .

1982 Datsun 720KC SD-22

"Im slow and I'm ahead of you"
kassim503

Post by kassim503 »

asavage wrote:Bad for your back to sit on your wallet. Use a front pocket. My chiropractor broke me of back pocket wallet storage 25 years ago.
Is that really bad for my back? I should probably start using a front pocket, my back has the tendency to crap out on every opportunity it sees.

227K SOLD 6/7/2012
TooManyIdeas

Post by TooManyIdeas »

Being retardedly paranoid about pick pockets, I''ve always kept my wallet in my front pocket along with my hand. If someone can steel my wallet that way I obviously have bigger problems :wink:
82 Datsun 720 King Cab Diesel - FOR SALE !!!!
85 Chevy Monte Carlo CL
90 Toyota Pickup -SOLD
05 Kia Spectra 5
02 Dodge Dakota Quadcab
-OOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHH YEAH!!!!!
glenlloyd

Post by glenlloyd »

Fuel prices headed up again, at least here, as oil approaches $100 / barrel :shock:

steve a

zim - silence!
kassim503

Post by kassim503 »

fuel prices going through the roof over here as well, averaging 3.20 for regular gasoline, and 3.55 for diesel

227K SOLD 6/7/2012
glenlloyd

Post by glenlloyd »

Putting $15 in the tank doesn't get you much anymore...does it? Lowest #2 diesel in DM is $3.21 IIRC, and most unleaded stations are now at $3 - $3.12.

steve a

zim - silence!
asavage
Site Admin

Post by asavage »

Get used to it. Fuel is not going down.

OTOH, I've been paying $3.65 (now $3.77) for B99 for about a year, so I'm innoculated.

No use bitchin', we've seen this coming for a long time, and have some of the cheapest transportation fuel in the world.

Got my eye on a early '90s Geo Metro electric at the moment . . . it meets my commute parameters where something like a GEM doesn't.
glenlloyd

Post by glenlloyd »

asavage wrote:Get used to it. Fuel is not going down.
Agreed, it may fluctuate slightly but were never going to see $2 / gallon fuel again. I still like to bitch about it!
asavage wrote:No use bitchin', we've seen this coming for a long time, and have some of the cheapest transportation fuel in the world.
Yes we have, and yes we do. There's an enormous number of gas powered Suburbans / Excursions in my area up for grabs and very cheap. Apparently people don't see these as viable anymore..I wonder why? :roll:
asavage wrote:Got my eye on a early '90s Geo Metro electric at the moment . . . it meets my commute parameters where something like a GEM doesn't.
I'm very interested to hear about this new vehicle you've got your eye on. I would guess that conversion kits are probably becoming very popular, and will even more in the future.

steve a

zim - silence!
kassim503

Post by kassim503 »

Bitchin definitley wont get me nowhere, I do like to cry about it,, to a very little extent. Gas prices arent really on my mind anymore, it is what it is and im sure I cant change it.

Geo metro electric conversion? Thats a great combo, its a aerodynamic light car

227K SOLD 6/7/2012
asavage
Site Admin

Post by asavage »

The Geo Metro is a popular car to convert (as are VW Bug & VW Rabbit), there are several kits available, including pre-fab'd battery trays. However, buying the kits new + batteries + labor is not a low-budget project.

There's a conversion parked here in town that is straight but has a broken windscreen and is rumored to have failed batteries. If I wasn't afraid that the price is "too good to pass up", I'd inquire of it, but I am sooooo stacked up with projects to finish before the end of the year, and my VISA is so seriously taxed, that I don't really want to know.

But it's a possibility.

There are other older electric conversions running around in this town. One will probably become mine -- someday. I'd really like the ElectraVan 600 that is around here, but they sell for insane prices, IMO.