Do you stockpile parts "just in case"?

Ongoing discussion of anything not related to Nissans or diesels.

Moderators: goglio704, Nissan_Ranger, kassim503

Do you stockpile parts

I don't keep anything on-hand
No votes
I only keep general maintenance items on-hand
7%
I keep general maint. items plus a few other non-maint things
21%
I hoard parts because you just never know!
71%

Total votes: 14

glenlloyd

Do you stockpile parts "just in case"?

Post by glenlloyd »

I was just wondering to what extent people who operate nissan diesels, or diesel vehicles in general, stockpile the parts they might need.

steve a
97 Jetta TDI, 86 VW Golf D
89 VW Fox diesel, 92 MB 300SD W140

gir - won't the sploding hurt?
zim - silence!
asavage
Site Admin

Post by asavage »

I'm a both a packrat and a recycler. And I have an organizational personality: I prefer "collections" of like things to single examples, so for example I have three Nissan valve adjust wrenches and multiple same-year FSMs. This is a problem in other, non-Nissan areas of my life too.

I can justify this behaviour because I'm "saving" the parts/manuals/tools from being "wasted". Whether from the crusher/China or from someone who couldn't really appreciate that wrench like I could (sitting next to the two other ones I've never used), I'm not always sure, but I do like to seek out and store or redistribute parts. I prefer to get used parts back into service over storing them, and of course I have a finite amount of resources I can expend to store/clean/move/inventory/peddle parts.

But I do seem to have collected a lot of Nissan diesel parts, and moreso since I now have this forum to find folks to help keep the used parts from China's clutches.

For example, I drove 200 miles and spent $48 in fuel and wrecked myself for the next day (due to lack of sleep) to go buy a "deal" 720 SD PU. I really wanted the supposedly rebuilt trans for the '86 gasser -> SD conversion, but now that I've found the truck's an '81, what do I do with it?

And like that.
Regards,
Al S.

1982 Maxima diesel wagon, 2nd & 4th owner, 165k miles, rusty & burgundy/grey. Purchased 1996, SOLD 16Feb10
1983 Maxima diesel wagon, 199k miles, rusty, light yellow/light brown. SOLD 14Jul07
1981 720 SD22 (scrapped 04Sep07)
1983 Sentra CD17, 255k, bought 06Jul08, gave it away 22Jun10.
philip
Deceased

Post by philip »

asavage wrote:-SNIP- For example, I drove 200 miles and spent $48 in fuel and wrecked myself for the next day (due to lack of sleep) to go buy a "deal" 720 SD PU. I really wanted the supposedly rebuilt trans for the '86 gasser -> SD conversion, but now that I've found the truck's an '81, what do I do with it?

And like that.
Install it and dismiss notions of frequent stoplight burnouts. :wink:
-Philip
Passed 08May2008
My friend, you are missed . . .

1982 Datsun 720KC SD-22

"Im slow and I'm ahead of you"
asavage
Site Admin

Post by asavage »

Upcoming post: the '82 SD trans and the '86 gasser trans are different lengths.
Regards,
Al S.

1982 Maxima diesel wagon, 2nd & 4th owner, 165k miles, rusty & burgundy/grey. Purchased 1996, SOLD 16Feb10
1983 Maxima diesel wagon, 199k miles, rusty, light yellow/light brown. SOLD 14Jul07
1981 720 SD22 (scrapped 04Sep07)
1983 Sentra CD17, 255k, bought 06Jul08, gave it away 22Jun10.