New to the site, considering ZD30 engine swap into a z32.

Other Nissan diesel engines and vehicles: TD/RD/YD/FD/UD etc.

Moderators: plenzen, Nissan_Ranger

goglio704

Post by goglio704 »

zluster wrote:BTW I noticed an RD engine for sale on ebay....where might I post the link to inform other users of the site about it?
That kind of thing winds up in Peddle or Procure. Links to Ebay auctions make up much of the content there.
Matt B.

83 Maxima Sedan, LD28, 5 speed, white, 130k miles. My original Maxima.
83 Maxima Sedan converted from gasser, LD28, 5 speed, 2 tone blue, 230k miles
82 Maxima Sedan, LD28, 3 speed auto, 2 tone Gray/Silver, 140k miles
81 810 Sedan, LD28, 3 speed auto, rust, rust, and more rust!

2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
goglio704

Post by goglio704 »

zluster wrote:Nissan Japan. Or AUS, depending which would be quicker and cheaper to get parts from.
Hadn't thought about the Aussies, at least they speak English - sort of. :wink:

Many of the LD parts are hard to obtain in the US anymore. I suspect they would be easier to get in a country where LD engines were available longer. Do you know of any websites for overseas Nissan dealers? Japan would be the most likely source for the parts, but the language barrier. :shock:
Matt B.

2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
zluster

Post by zluster »

goglio704 wrote:
zluster wrote:Nissan Japan. Or AUS, depending which would be quicker and cheaper to get parts from.
Hadn't thought about the Aussies, at least they speak English - sort of. :wink:

Many of the LD parts are hard to obtain in the US anymore. I suspect they would be easier to get in a country where LD engines were available longer. Do you know of any websites for overseas Nissan dealers? Japan would be the most likely source for the parts, but the language barrier. :shock:
I am luckly, I know several Zcar owners in Japan that are either US personel stationed there, friendly canadians who married a cute japanese girl but cant wait to move back to Canadia, or Japanese-americans who for the time being are living in Japan.

If you want to check for the availiblity of any parts in Japan if you give me the part numbers(preferably from the Japanese RHD or LHD fast files) I can ask trace to check them for you.
goglio704

Post by goglio704 »

I'll keep it in mind, thanks. :D
Matt B.

2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
davehoos

Post by davehoos »

no trouble getting parts from australia.just need a VIN number.as long as its close.

also workshop manuals.

ZD30 is a good engine but it realy a light-medium truck engine.i get a tape measure as i think it be way too large for a Z32 without it looking silly.its shorter than a TD42 but without testing i guess that its very tall and heavy.patrol owner appear happy with performance.they are all flybywire
we had some in at work to repair alloy A/C pipes cracked due to vibrations.its no car engine.
the tall axle ratio is not always the go.it will reduce noise but you have to test first,a patrol has very low axle ratio and the engine is made to suit.
transmission has a tall over drive and most good convertors often put a stepup up gearbox between the engine and gear box.IE toyota hilux with a V8-

QD is realy only an updated TD.i would not be excited about the performace possability.the only navara i driven stuggled to get to 50 mph in suburban traffic.the new 3.2 liter navara is ok if it is a QD..

if an RB will fit in a Z32 then a RD28TI would be a cheep conversion.have to look at power output,it is a lot lower but a good basic car engine.
WCJR31 Skyline.3.0 manual.wagon
R31 SKYLINE/Passage GT/PINTARA
LPG Ford Falcon 99-06 93 Disco
Local Shire Southern Zone Mechanic.
davehoos

Post by davehoos »

http://page8.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/h46739648

QD32 turbo with auto
not common rail.electronic VE pump.it looks like an updated TD27.so you can swap to a normal ip.i think the sump is close to a TD,this one pictured looks like the old 4x4 sump.i think the van is a little lower on the top.but you could make a new intake using an inter cooler,starter is on the right side to suit a lhd Z car.exhaust pipe should clear.

http://page12.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/p73241247
ZD30DDTi
comes with ECU so it might be a retrofit engine if lucky.

http://page14.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/a ... cs12230119
I new I have seen it its an ISUZU engine.the larger engines are in 4 ton truck.
zluster

Post by zluster »

davehoos wrote:http://page8.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/h46739648

QD32 turbo with auto
not common rail.electronic VE pump.it looks like an updated TD27.so you can swap to a normal ip.i think the sump is close to a TD,this one pictured looks like the old 4x4 sump.i think the van is a little lower on the top.but you could make a new intake using an inter cooler,starter is on the right side to suit a lhd Z car.exhaust pipe should clear.

http://page12.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/p73241247
ZD30DDTi
comes with ECU so it might be a retrofit engine if lucky.

http://page14.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/a ... cs12230119
I new I have seen it its an ISUZU engine.the larger engines are in 4 ton truck.
You found the exact auctions I was considering, in addition I have a friend in Japan who would be willing to remove an engine from a vehicle I purchase, but once again I still need to find a shipper.

You also touched on something else, the ZD engine is driveby wire, what I do not know is where the the throttle input is, as you can see on yahoo japan there are several auctions for an engine with ECU and EFI harness, however if there is more harness in the dash of the vehicle that the throttle is connected to, that means I wouldn't have all the equipment needed to make the OEM EFI managment work(which puts me back to using the megasquirt and building my own drive by wire using a TPS to input my drive by wire signal.

I am still leaning toward the ZD30DDT, it appears to be about the same hieght as the VG30DETT found in the z32, a little bit longer, and a quite a bit skinnyer.
pbknowles

Post by pbknowles »

Using megasquirt to control a DI common rail engine has been discussed at length on the associated forum and generally agreed that it lacks the ability to control squirts with close enough tolerance.......be sure you can make this work before you spend $ as most if not all seem to think you can't. I run an MSI v2.2 on my TR7 autocrosser, so most of my experience is with that, but look into it very carefully grasshopper!
SD22 powered '85 Chevy S-10
zluster

Post by zluster »

pbknowles wrote:Using megasquirt to control a DI common rail engine has been discussed at length on the associated forum and generally agreed that it lacks the ability to control squirts with close enough tolerance.......be sure you can make this work before you spend $ as most if not all seem to think you can't. I run an MSI v2.2 on my TR7 autocrosser, so most of my experience is with that, but look into it very carefully grasshopper!
Interesting thanks, associated forum?

I have yet to breach out into a couple of more forums to ask questions, still planning to see what hybridz has to say and of course there are several megasquirt forums already.

Have you heard anyone discuss the motec system in regards to this aspect?
davehoos

Post by davehoos »

motec is australian.they got a grant to supply korean companies a few years ago..and there is spin off from that program.i havnt heard much myself but if you can forward forums on I apreciate that.tere are a lot of american V8 diesel conversions hear,my mate has tuned a few using the original delco controls,these are not common rail.

my mates the local autronic agent-for gasoline these are a better deal and there is a lot of OTHERS just OK types around.there is a big difference between a running ecu and a working ecu.i have some early link types to suit RB20DET that were aimed at boats and stationary engines.

question to ask.the crate engine,the ecu supplied is it a automotive ecu supplied as they match the new engine to the older car.or is it a industrial ecu[this would be better].if it is isuzu these get fitted in all sorts.
im interested in the fact that its a shared engine as it will also end up in gmc trucks etc.the isuzu may call it a different name we work on engines that look similar but not the 3 liter.

havent had to deal with nissan regarding patrol as they are basically still under factory warranties.the isuzu van is not sold in australia.navara is common here and we are not getting the larger american nissan.for us as of 2007 its cheeper to buy a V6 and use LPG.

most new car dealers are connecting main workshop computor to the obd conector to get up date manual,we have had them print out circuits etc but there very basic.this is often little help as what is needed is a training tutorial often supplied by a engineers organisation or mechanical workshop suppliers.most dealerships are doing in house training and send very few people.`

without researce it could be drama getting a used engine to work.your not planning to fit it to a truck or generator so it needs to be drivable.patrol is a 2 ton plus wagon so you look at its performace then add a little,there are calculators around for this job.getting a ecu to work out that there is no load due to half the car is missing could be hard.ive seen plenty of plug in fuel controllers for european bosch vehicles like patrol,bmw,opel.

engine bay harness would only be the start,most of the other sencors will be hooked to the main harness,silly things like speed imputs,A/C,electrical load,trailer,ambient temperature stop lights.cruise control etc that plug into the ECU.using an auto brings on lots of dramas,road speed versus engine speeds clutch slipage calculating loads.most combine the auto trans controller that looks at gear ratio,tourque convertor slipage-temperature etc etc etc.It not only controls the gear selector but optimum engine rpm to achieve exhauste emissions.when a manual transmission is added these calculations have to be taken into account.a lot of complaints that ive heard about aftermarket controls concern drivability as the contoller is only looking at a basic engine operation.

organise shipping near your home.the defence force will get a better deal.
i was looking at CD20,thanks for the search,more engines to cry over. have a AD CD20 with a cyl head trouble it was fitted to a skyline.is your contacts friends or in the trade.this is the hard bit.i found it hard to deal with japanese companies that havnt travell/worked out of japan.they dont understand value adding.just look at the way the engines are hacked out quick dollar from core replacments.and third world customers.
zluster

Post by zluster »

davehoos wrote:motec is australian.they got a grant to supply korean companies a few years ago..and there is spin off from that program.i havnt heard much myself but if you can forward forums on I apreciate that.tere are a lot of american V8 diesel conversions hear,my mate has tuned a few using the original delco controls,these are not common rail.

my mates the local autronic agent-for gasoline these are a better deal and there is a lot of OTHERS just OK types around.there is a big difference between a running ecu and a working ecu.i have some early link types to suit RB20DET that were aimed at boats and stationary engines.

question to ask.the crate engine,the ecu supplied is it a automotive ecu supplied as they match the new engine to the older car.or is it a industrial ecu[this would be better].if it is isuzu these get fitted in all sorts.
im interested in the fact that its a shared engine as it will also end up in gmc trucks etc.the isuzu may call it a different name we work on engines that look similar but not the 3 liter.

havent had to deal with nissan regarding patrol as they are basically still under factory warranties.the isuzu van is not sold in australia.navara is common here and we are not getting the larger american nissan.for us as of 2007 its cheeper to buy a V6 and use LPG.

most new car dealers are connecting main workshop computor to the obd conector to get up date manual,we have had them print out circuits etc but there very basic.this is often little help as what is needed is a training tutorial often supplied by a engineers organisation or mechanical workshop suppliers.most dealerships are doing in house training and send very few people.`

without researce it could be drama getting a used engine to work.your not planning to fit it to a truck or generator so it needs to be drivable.patrol is a 2 ton plus wagon so you look at its performace then add a little,there are calculators around for this job.getting a ecu to work out that there is no load due to half the car is missing could be hard.ive seen plenty of plug in fuel controllers for european bosch vehicles like patrol,bmw,opel.

engine bay harness would only be the start,most of the other sencors will be hooked to the main harness,silly things like speed imputs,A/C,electrical load,trailer,ambient temperature stop lights.cruise control etc that plug into the ECU.using an auto brings on lots of dramas,road speed versus engine speeds clutch slipage calculating loads.most combine the auto trans controller that looks at gear ratio,tourque convertor slipage-temperature etc etc etc.It not only controls the gear selector but optimum engine rpm to achieve exhauste emissions.when a manual transmission is added these calculations have to be taken into account.a lot of complaints that ive heard about aftermarket controls concern drivability as the contoller is only looking at a basic engine operation.

organise shipping near your home.the defence force will get a better deal.
i was looking at CD20,thanks for the search,more engines to cry over. have a AD CD20 with a cyl head trouble it was fitted to a skyline.is your contacts friends or in the trade.this is the hard bit.i found it hard to deal with japanese companies that havnt travell/worked out of japan.they dont understand value adding.just look at the way the engines are hacked out quick dollar from core replacments.and third world customers.

Yes you certainly understand the issues I face. The problem with getting an engine, ECU, and EFI system out of a stock car is that I may not be getting all the factory system that I need to make it run right.........

My friend is nothing more than a regular guy in Japan, who happens to be a Canadian national living there.

Not really "in the trade" as it were, but over the past few years we have gone back and forth and done some business concerning parts availible in japan and parts availible in the US for z32s.

Once again I am presented with the problem of making sure that I can get an EFI system that is stand alone........

And yes the only engines I am looking at so far have come out of diesel vans.
davehoos

Post by davehoos »

Had a discusion today with my mate.

AUTRONIC will run direct injection engines.you need a sequential-timed pulse to trigger the original injector driver module.chris thinks it would be 30-60 amp crack off current.so a normal ecu wont handle it with out the module..

problem is driveby wire.motec has a drive by wire ecu.the original throttles has a second signal so that the ecu can double check for faults.

autronic hasnt--he uses an anologue signal as an imput from the trottle to control fuel.the ecu thinks this is the TPS.it can also run the auto transmission..autronic to do this job is around AU$2100.

it is possible to use a cruise control device to computorise older engines,the trouble is so far there are no fail safe built in.
HowlerMonkey

Post by HowlerMonkey »

When contemplating new engines for swap, I would check whether the management system has immobilizer functionality.

If it does, it may be necessary to include a lot more hardware from the donor vehicle.
zluster

Post by zluster »

HowlerMonkey wrote:When contemplating new engines for swap, I would check whether the management system has immobilizer functionality.

If it does, it may be necessary to include a lot more hardware from the donor vehicle.
Agreed, though I doubt most of the engines I am considering will since they come out of work vehicles, but who knows....

That is also one of the problems that I would need to take into account when putting a VW TDI engine into a vanagon(different project)
HowlerMonkey

Post by HowlerMonkey »

I'll venture a bet that american spec domestic injector driver modules can be controlled by a pcm other than the one the engine came with.

I'm just starting research on this stuff so I am behind but I have resources to test this kind of stuff to a certain extent.