2+2 flywheel in a 240ZD...will I snap my crank in half?

Discuss (and cuss) the Nissan LD-series OHC Six diesel engine, popularly available in the US in 1981-83 Datsun/Nissan Maxima Sedans & Wagons.

Moderators: plenzen, glenlloyd, goglio704, Nissan_Ranger

kassim503

Post by kassim503 »

Are you able to pull the pan off without removing the motor? It would be no fun if you couldnt
'83 maxima sedan, l24e, a/t, black

227K SOLD 6/7/2012
240ZD

Post by 240ZD »

I can most assuredly remove the pan, after unbolting the engine and raising it with an engine hoist, but it's still no fun until enough time has passed to make the memory of the last oil pan job properly hazy, HA!
"Man, your engine is knocking really bad..."~
EvergreenSD

Post by EvergreenSD »

First, I want to say that I am simultaneously jealous and grateful to you for your project. I really want a diesel Z but am not in a position to even dream about taking on a swap right now. You are tackling the difficult pioneering work that I will surely benefit from . . .one of these days.

The information that I had always heard (through unconfirmed sources) was that the LD28 was a direct swap into a 280Z but would require some mods to fit into a 240Z. You seem knowledgeable about Z's (and I am not) so I wanted to ask if you thought this was credible and the swap might be easier on a 280? Did the 280 have different motor mount and oil pan arrangements?

Keep up the good work and keep us posted, I think there are a bunch of us drooling over your project.
'82 SD22 720 Kingcab with flatbed
240ZD

Post by 240ZD »

From Eugene, eh?

I believe the 240z through 280z all have the same oil pan arrangement and steering cross-member location, so they will all need modified diesel parts. For example, the gasoline engines are DEFINITELY interchangeable across all early Z cars, and there are only two places for the oil pan to dip: the front or the back. I think it's basically impossible to fit that diesel oil pan into a Z.

When I get back to Oregon, I'm going to take off my ZD oil pan and use it as a fiberglass mold. I JUST MIGHT be able to lay out custom epoxy fiberglass oil pans for diesel Z car swaps! Don't worry, they'll be tough. HA!
240ZD

Post by 240ZD »

Hello!

My diesel guru friend and I just completed a cheesy video "demonstrating" the performance of an LD28 in a Z car.

Along the road to dieseldom were a lot of diesel-haters running their mouths authoritatively about how slow and crappy these engines are, and this video is to prove otherwise...sorta.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=wLbN45c44Q8

A three-inch open pipe releases a LOT more power, and I've been cruising all over the place at 90+, EASILY, while getting ludicrous gas mileage.

-samee-
asavage
Site Admin

Post by asavage »

Fun vid. Sounds good (at the reduced decibel level on my PC, anyway; I doubt I'd want you as a neighbor, with that exhaust!).

Still, I have to mention that my box-stock '82 Wagon, without overdrive, will easily top out over 90 MPH, and it doesn't take me a mile to get there either.

Though I'll never be able to do a burnout like yours ;)
Regards,
Al S.

1982 Maxima diesel wagon, 2nd & 4th owner, 165k miles, rusty & burgundy/grey. Purchased 1996, SOLD 16Feb10
1983 Maxima diesel wagon, 199k miles, rusty, light yellow/light brown. SOLD 14Jul07
1981 720 SD22 (scrapped 04Sep07)
1983 Sentra CD17, 255k, bought 06Jul08, gave it away 22Jun10.
Midnightz

Post by Midnightz »

Great work! :D

I expect nothing but a detailed write up on what you've done so I can copy exactly what you have done. 8)
90 Midnight Blue 300ZX NA 2+2 (DD)
83 Maxima Wagon Diesel (parted out-going into 240Z)
73 240Z (LD28 swap project)
08 Mercedes Benz GL320CDI