looking for parts for an LD28 (Head Gaskets)

Discuss (and cuss) the Nissan LD-series OHC Six diesel engine, popularly available in the US in 1981-83 Datsun/Nissan Maxima Sedans & Wagons.

Moderators: plenzen, glenlloyd, goglio704, Nissan_Ranger

goglio704

Post by goglio704 »

TheDieseliminator wrote:Hey guys, I ought to know what gaskets are available brand new since I had to change out a head gasket with cylinder head on my 82 Maxima late last spring in 2006. For the head gasket you can buy one right from AutoZone (not that it's the best auto parts store) and it will be a Fel-Pro head gasket. They do sell them in at least two different thicknesses and quite possibly three, but I don't remember. The intake and exhaust manifold gasket I was also able to get from my local Carquest auto parts store. Also got the three bolt exhaust flange gasket from there and I'll have to look for the part #'s if anyone is in need of them. I do believe they were Victor gaskets too. Now a head gasket set may be hard to find, but the head gasket shouldn't be an issue if anyone is having a hard time getting one.

Salvy

Apparently, a lot has changed in a year. I have inquired at my local Autozone three times in two months. Right now they can't even order a Felpro head gasket for an LD28. Nor can they tell me when one will be available. Same story at Napa, Advance, and Oreilly's. I would encourage you to ask at your local store. If you can buy one, I'll buy it from you and pay you a finder's fee. This situation will hopefully be resolved if and when Felpro ever does another run of gaskets. As for Victor-Reinz, I haven't found a local (or online) retailer. Believe me when I say I have substantial time invested in this. :roll: Carquest is a chain I haven't tried yet, but I will.
Matt B.

83 Maxima Sedan, LD28, 5 speed, white, 130k miles. My original Maxima.
83 Maxima Sedan converted from gasser, LD28, 5 speed, 2 tone blue, 230k miles
82 Maxima Sedan, LD28, 3 speed auto, 2 tone Gray/Silver, 140k miles
81 810 Sedan, LD28, 3 speed auto, rust, rust, and more rust!

2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
TheDieseliminator

Post by TheDieseliminator »

Hi Matt, not a problem and I'll check into the head gasket at as many places as I can. I'll let you know what I find out in a few days when I reply in this thread. I hope one is available at least at one auto parts chain or that will suck for us LD28 gearheads.
1982 Datsun Maxima diesel wagon w/ 228k miles
*occasional daily driver*

1982 Datsun Maxima diesel sedan w/ 252k miles
*now off the road as a parts car and sent to the yard :( *
goglio704

Post by goglio704 »

There is not a Carquest all that close to where I live, but there is one a reasonable distance from my work. I went by there at lunch today and ordered one each of the thickest three sizes of head gaskets - all Victor Reinz brand. I also ordered some plenum gaskets (the gaskets which set this off in the first place for me.) We'll see if I actually get them. It is supposed to take about 5 days. Salvy, I will be curious to know if you can get Felpro there, but I'd bet you can't right now. If you can, my offer still stands. I'm in a stockpiling mood. :roll: :wink: Actually, I'm in too deep and can't turn back. I have too many hard parts on hand to risk not having gaskets. :shock: :shock:
Last edited by goglio704 16 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Matt B.

2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
asavage
Site Admin

Post by asavage »

I ordered two Fel-Pro HGs today. Apparently, they have a 0-3 and a 1-2 notch version. I ordered one of each. I was also quoted five days.

I have a couple of head gasket sets (I think) stashed somewhere, if someone has an emergency.
goglio704

Post by goglio704 »

Did they indicate whether they were ordering from their own warehouse or directly from Felpro?
Matt B.

2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
asavage
Site Admin

Post by asavage »

My FLAPS is a nine-store local chain. Five days means not from their normal distribution system, I think.
TheDieseliminator

Post by TheDieseliminator »

Matt, I can really only guess whether or not my local AutoZone or Advance Auto Parts would be able to get a Fel-Pro head gasket for the LD28 unless I went there in person to find out. I think the Fel-Pro units should still be able to be gotten easy as what I've found is that http://www.rockauto.com (a good auto parts connection) can get the two different thickness headgaskets and both for under $50 before shipping. They were available in a 0-3 and 1-2 gasket just like Al mentioned. Take a look at the website and you'll be good to go. If you've never been to the website or heard of RockAuto make sure you bookmark the site as it's a good one!
1982 Datsun Maxima diesel wagon w/ 228k miles
*occasional daily driver*

1982 Datsun Maxima diesel sedan w/ 252k miles
*now off the road as a parts car and sent to the yard :( *
goglio704

Post by goglio704 »

I've been to the Rockauto website before, but I've never ordered from them. There can be big difference between something showing on a website and actual availability. The downside to online ordering is that the online systems are not set up for the customer to check actual availability. Brick and mortar stores usually are.

Unless Felpro has run a batch of these in the last week or you are lucky enough to find a leftover in a parts store's distribution chain, you aren't going to get a Felpro head gasket right now. You don't have to go to your local store. Just call them and ask for the part. Make sure they check availability.

If Felpro has run a batch of these, it may be in part because of the numerous inquiries I've made through a variety of channels. I'd like to think it got noticed. At least it would mean it wasn't pointless. :roll:

I have no reason to make this up. I'm just trying to let people know what I have run into. I am fairly skilled at sourcing parts. I've done a lot of it, both personally and professionally.
Matt B.

2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
goglio704

Post by goglio704 »

Thought I'd offer an update on this. I held off on ordering from RockAuto.com because I had outstanding orders at several different places. If they had all come through, it would have gotten expensive in a hurry. One by one they all fell through, so I gave RockAuto a shot. They can't provide a Felpro head gasket (either thickness) or head gasket set for the LD28. They say it is discontinued by Felpro. I'm not saying this is a fact, but it is looking more and more believable with every failed order. Federal Mogul (the parent company of Felpro) is in the midst of Chapter 11 apparently. They may be trimming the slow moving items out of the catalog as a cost cutting measure. I thought this would be of interest to all.
Matt B.

2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
asavage
Site Admin

Post by asavage »

Well, I was able to buy a couple of Fel-Pro HGs this summer.
HowlerMonkey

Post by HowlerMonkey »

Oemsurplus is scrapping a lot of stuff that applies here.

http://oem-surplus.com/nwp/scrap.htm
goglio704

Post by goglio704 »

asavage wrote:Well, I was able to buy a couple of Fel-Pro HGs this summer.
I know, and I'm glad you did. I bought some Victors too. I'm just sharing my experience. A casual browsing of the internet will give the impression that these are easily available. Order some, and you'll find out different. I'm sure they are still out there as old stock, but the trick is finding them. It may be a geographic thing too. I haven't tried Napa lately. It is about time I try that again. It is possible that these are only produced every couple of years and they will show up again. Parts sellers throw the word discontinued around way too freely. It is a sort of self fulfilling prophecy however...

P.S. I had an order in with Amazon since June for one thickness of head gasket. After extending the delivery date repeatedly, they finally cancelled it this week. Unavailable, according to them.
Matt B.

2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
goglio704

Post by goglio704 »

From another thread, quoted here for organization purposes. Thanks again Rufus.
rlaggren wrote: http://www.car-stuff.com/carparts/nissa ... 960b1.html

Thought some people were looking but I couldn't find the thread to see if somebody already noted this place. Haven't checked it out, but it looks plausible.

Rufus
Matt B.

2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
goglio704

Post by goglio704 »

I've found a source for Corteco brand gaskets for the LD28. I ordered and received their full set (320173) and their manifold set (23950). I have not ordered head gaskets yet.

The full set is very complete. It even has the sealing washers for the valve cover bolts. The manifold set includes the gasket to the block and the "plenum gasket." Quality appears quite good, but installation and time are the real measures of that.

click for larger

If your FLAPS can't get these for you, I may have excess to sell in the future.
Matt B.

2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
rxKaffee

L-gasser gaskets won't work?

Post by rxKaffee »

There are a couple high-strength head gaskets for the gassers that should beable to take the compression of a diesel.

Are the water/oil passages different or something? There's that guy(and maybe a few others) using the LD block for a stroker gasser in the 240sx. I don't know what he had to do to get gas heads to mate up to the diesel block

I've heard of Cometic MLS gaskets for the l28et, but could not spot them in cometic's sport-compact catalog. Same story for HKS/Nismo.

http://www.thezstore.com Has 1mm and 2mm head gaskets for L-gasser series in MultiLayerSteel. (http://www.thezstore.com/page/TZS/CTGY/PEM09) I'd guess the 1mm would probably cause piston clearance issues. Would the 2mm drop compression too much to be usefull? I believe I've heard on zdriver or hybridz of people removing a layer from the 2mm but I'm not positive on this...