LD28 bolt-in to Pathfinder chassis?

Discuss (and cuss) the Nissan LD-series OHC Six diesel engine, popularly available in the US in 1981-83 Datsun/Nissan Maxima Sedans & Wagons.

Moderators: plenzen, glenlloyd, goglio704, Nissan_Ranger

glenlloyd

LD28 bolt-in to Pathfinder chassis?

Post by glenlloyd »

hey all, just wondering if anyone knows if the LD28 will bolt into a Pathfinder? I realize that the spring rates aren't going to be acceptable for the additional weight, but I'm curious as to whether it works or not. The Pathfinder, I think, will accomodate the straight six cylinder...again I think.

thanks
steve a
97 Jetta TDI, 86 VW Golf D
89 VW Fox diesel, 92 MB 300SD W140

gir - won't the sploding hurt?
zim - silence!
83_maxima

Post by 83_maxima »

Any more info on this front Steve?

I'm curious about it because I've got a 95 pathfinder and a line on an extra (4K mile) LD28 that *may* come with the car I will most likely purchase later in the summer.

Pathfinders front suspension is not mac struts either, but a torsion bar and shock absorber on the control arm.
asavage
Site Admin

Re: LD28 bolt-in to Pathfinder chassis?

Post by asavage »

glenlloyd wrote:The Pathfinder, I think, will accomodate the straight six cylinder...again I think.
The US Pathfinder came with the VG-series V6.

If you want the 4WD to remain functional, you're going to have a problem at the transmission end of things. "The bolt pattern on the back of the L28 and VG30 is not the same." (Bleach, who knows this stuff.) If you can't bolt the LD28 up to the Pathfinder's transmission, then you are talking some fabrication work if you want to retain the 4WD. Or use overseas parts.
Regards,
Al S.

1982 Maxima diesel wagon, 2nd & 4th owner, 165k miles, rusty & burgundy/grey. Purchased 1996, SOLD 16Feb10
1983 Maxima diesel wagon, 199k miles, rusty, light yellow/light brown. SOLD 14Jul07
1981 720 SD22 (scrapped 04Sep07)
1983 Sentra CD17, 255k, bought 06Jul08, gave it away 22Jun10.
83_maxima

Post by 83_maxima »

Yes, they do have a V-6 which is much more compact than the L series engines and it is already stuffed into the engine bay pretty good. I think that you may also run into oil pan issues like you have with the L28 and L24 in which the oil pickup tube position is reversed, and that needs to be cahnged before you can go ahead with a conversion.

Sounds like it would probably be a considerable amount of work with fabrication involved.
davehoos

Post by davehoos »

never say it wont fit.ive see the shorter RB25DET and i know a RD28 will fit.

sump would take some cutting as it raps around the diff to get enough oil..
dry sump conversion should be cheep.i seen electric scavange pumps for not a lot of dollars..using a 720 4X4 L series engine sump as a starter
still a lot of work.

gear box.
new pathfinder would have a larger modern gear box.i dont think these are common with L ser engines so a bell housing is not an easy option.adaptor plates are cheep alternative.
older pathfider will have a common 71 mm box so a just swap the front of the box.here is no reason that the engine cant lay to the left side.you can use the skyline/patrol gearbox parts.

laying to the left will give more room around the IP area.but the intake may need work.need a good tape measure.there is a lot of room in the front on older D21 but some of the conversions i see the engines under the hood latch.

no reason that the radiator must be in front.it will work better but with electric waterpumps and fans [big alternator] and some ducting should be fine.our workshop has relocated a/c condensor after the rear axle no trouble.for v8 conversions.
WCJR31 Skyline.3.0 manual.wagon
R31 SKYLINE/Passage GT/PINTARA
LPG Ford Falcon 99-06 93 Disco
Local Shire Southern Zone Mechanic.
83_maxima

Post by 83_maxima »

Sounds like one hell of an undertaking...

A lot of time...

A lot of $$$$$$...
asavage
Site Admin

Post by asavage »

davehoos wrote:gear box.
older pathfider will have a common 71 mm box so a just swap the front of the box.here is no reason that the engine cant lay to the left side.you can use the skyline/patrol gearbox parts.
To expand on this: the Z engines (Z20/Z22/Z24 NAPZ Fours) use the same bolt pattern as the L engines, but rotated about 10°. You bolt an L engine to a Z trans, but either the trans has to be rotated (and the shift lever cants over to one side) or the engine has to be rotated, which is what Dave is implying.

If I was going to go to that much work, I think I'd have a budget for a more modern powerplant than an LD28.
Regards,
Al S.

1982 Maxima diesel wagon, 2nd & 4th owner, 165k miles, rusty & burgundy/grey. Purchased 1996, SOLD 16Feb10
1983 Maxima diesel wagon, 199k miles, rusty, light yellow/light brown. SOLD 14Jul07
1981 720 SD22 (scrapped 04Sep07)
1983 Sentra CD17, 255k, bought 06Jul08, gave it away 22Jun10.