Für einen Nissan 2,8 Turbodiesel.

Discuss (and cuss) the Nissan LD-series OHC Six diesel engine, popularly available in the US in 1981-83 Datsun/Nissan Maxima Sedans & Wagons.

Moderators: plenzen, glenlloyd, goglio704, Nissan_Ranger

davehoos

Post by davehoos »

if you look close a the IP it has no cold start method.so it would be pre 1986,skyline/laurel.most diesels use the oil to water heat exchanger to warm up the engine to obtain a good idle quality in cold weather stop start traffic.optimum is normally 80% of water temp..some models do use these as oil coolers-an option that is more common with latter model petrol powered engines that suffer from BLACK DEATH[oil varnish]-oil gallery blockages.diesels tend to love this type of operation.fitted with small radiators with large visco fan to suit the needs of most users.these are not the best idea for vehicles used to travel long distances at high speed-the piston heats up to the point that damage occures.oil cooling of the piston is a necesity in this situation.other items will survive being cooked.

many LD engines dont have oil squirter under the piston for the same reason so when fitting turbo it is best to check.

.this isnt common with GENERAL EXPORT[middle east,asia-pacific]

430 cedric has a different oilpan setup.you can often identify the age/model by the original power steering pump setup.
WCJR31 Skyline.3.0 manual.wagon
R31 SKYLINE/Passage GT/PINTARA
LPG Ford Falcon 99-06 93 Disco
Local Shire Southern Zone Mechanic.
glenlloyd

Post by glenlloyd »

Nice pics, so this is a factory setup for LD28 with turbo?

steve a
97 Jetta TDI, 86 VW Golf D
89 VW Fox diesel, 92 MB 300SD W140

gir - won't the sploding hurt?
zim - silence!
asavage
Site Admin

Post by asavage »

Doesn't look it to me.
davehoos

Post by davehoos »

no it a gasser turbo.
pezfallout

Post by pezfallout »

I thought I would drag this one back from the dead to pose a question for eliminating the fuel problem with the turbo.

Has anyone considered converting to an L28 EFI setup (or custom) and utilizing Megasquirt to map out the fuel tables?

With the IPs being so expensives and ultimately less efficient than an EFI setup, it seems like a really positive thing to explore. It's been discussed a lot of the VW diesel forums and I thought it would be a good way to spark some discussion about it since I didn't find anything about it with the search.

Clayton
asavage
Site Admin

Post by asavage »

Can't use the gasoline EFI parts for diesel. End of story. Gasoline is injected in the intake air stream, diesel is injected into the combustion chamber (or in the prechamber). Completely different injection technology. Cannot use gasoline injectors or control tech on the diesel.
davehoos

Post by davehoos »

what people often get confused about direct/indirect/port/manifold/etc/ect.
they often get mixed up.IE port fuel injection is often refered to as direct.[direct on the valves when the intake valve is open.]also engines like the old honda that feed in 2 different mixtures of fuel.CCVC.3 valve mitubishi that direct inject EGR into the port.

you got the new direct injection petrol engine that add fuel like a diesel to be ignited with a spark plug,and diesels that use extra intake and exhaust injection.[vapourised gasses or liquid fuel.]
however the diesels still need injection of some fuel into the combustion chamber to light it up like a spark plug with other fuels.

people often see the little diesel aircraft 2 strokes that use a glow plug and very high rpm.

if you want electronic control to gain power/economy you can adapt later types of IP with adjustable computor and flybywire stuff. then you learn real quick how good the original was.have a look at new release
pezfallout

Post by pezfallout »

So there's no way to adapt a gasser head to the LD block to introduced EFI? Removing the plugs, or maybe replacing them with the injectors themselves for a creative direct-port solution? I'm just trying to think outside the box, because the IPs eventually won't be worth maintaining and everyone will need a viable option. lol
goglio704

Post by goglio704 »

Looking to gasser parts is the wrong approach. If you wanted to put EFI on an LD28 the steps are something like this:

1. Rob bank.
2. Clear your schedule.
3. Obtain a modern common rail diesel injection system with piezoelectric injectors and adapt this system to the LD28.
4. Check into local mental hospital.

:wink:

P.S. The mechanical injector pumps we have will be serviceable well after the chassis is gone.
Matt B.

83 Maxima Sedan, LD28, 5 speed, white, 130k miles. My original Maxima.
83 Maxima Sedan converted from gasser, LD28, 5 speed, 2 tone blue, 230k miles
82 Maxima Sedan, LD28, 3 speed auto, 2 tone Gray/Silver, 140k miles
81 810 Sedan, LD28, 3 speed auto, rust, rust, and more rust!

2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
glenlloyd

Post by glenlloyd »

pezfallout wrote:So there's no way to adapt a gasser head to the LD block to introduced EFI?
Not remotely possible, the head design for both of these is vastly different. For instance, the head on the LD is cast iron, on the gasser it is not.
pezfallout wrote:I'm just trying to think outside the box, because the IPs eventually won't be worth maintaining and everyone will need a viable option. lol
IMHO maintaining the existing IP would be the least problematic and least costly route to go. Developing a DI system for this engine would involve a lot of work and money redesigning pistons, head, etc...and in the end you're still most likely going to have to push fuel with the original pump anyway unless you want to invest further in an electronic solution.

steve a
Last edited by glenlloyd 17 years ago, edited 1 time in total.

zim - silence!
pezfallout

Post by pezfallout »

You guys sound like me when I try to explain to the new guys who buy NA 1990+ 300ZX why they'll be driving a time bomb if they put turbos on them.

I'm the new guy, now! Oh no! :lol:

I'm a new gen guy and although I'm very mechanically inclined, I just can't trust non-electric means of fuel delivery. I've always had a sense of dread when I owned mechanically operated engines, feeling like they're going to succumb to Murphy's Law. (I know it's not true, but you get closed-minded after a while... I'm trying though!)

I guess I should listen more often instead of trying to be a revolutionary. It's not like these vehicles have been around long, so no one has ever put thought to these things. :roll: lol

Thanks for the info guys. I'll keep reading and learning and hopefully I'll find the LD28/5sp for me soon enough and can get my hands dirty.

Clayton
glenlloyd

Post by glenlloyd »

Clayton
It's easy to acknowledge why things won't work...and if we do too much of that we could miss things that might work. There's nothing wrong with ideas that force us to examine our preconceived notions.

IMHO however, the mechanical diesel IP system is very robust, more reliable, and less complicated than its gasser counterpart of the same era.

steve a

zim - silence!
goglio704

Post by goglio704 »

Clayton,

Many people have done things that weren't supposed to be possible. Nothing wrong with challenging preconceived notions. I wasn't trying to be rude in my reply. Just trying to convey my ideas with a little humor.
Matt B.

2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
pezfallout

Post by pezfallout »

goglio704 wrote:Clayton,

Many people have done things that weren't supposed to be possible. Nothing wrong with challenging preconceived notions. I wasn't trying to be rude in my reply. Just trying to convey my ideas with a little humor.
I didn't take any offense to anything so no worries, mate. I'm fluent in forum-speak, so I always know how to read into things. :)

I suppose when you're on an E5 budget with a spouse going to school with only part-time job, the cost of IP repair/replacement is a prohibitive cost and you tend to want to find a work-around solution. I was all excited about finding my first LD Maxima in Daytona for $350, only to disappoint the gentleman when I found out the cost of repair.

All good things take time, though, so I'll just keep at it.

Clayton
goglio704

Post by goglio704 »

I was an Army brat growing up, and while I didn't understand how short money was for my parents then, I can certainly see it now looking back. Thank you for your service.
Matt B.

2005 Jeep Liberty CRD