Für einen Nissan 2,8 Turbodiesel.

Discuss (and cuss) the Nissan LD-series OHC Six diesel engine, popularly available in the US in 1981-83 Datsun/Nissan Maxima Sedans & Wagons.

Moderators: plenzen, glenlloyd, goglio704, Nissan_Ranger

TheDieseliminator

Post by TheDieseliminator »

Nissan LD28 with turbocharged power ( :mrgreen:, something very very interesting indeed :!: ) I've thought about it more than a few times that's for sure, but considering the mileage I've accumulated already I'd probably prefer to rebuild an engine first and do it as a whole project. I actually am more interested in turbocharging an SD25 diesel to put into a project 720, but there are no exhaust manifolds out there that you can almost bolt up to one (like an LD28). Al, that sure will be cool to see you go ahead and do it. It will be a learning process for most of us here I'm sure.

Salvy
asavage
Site Admin

Post by asavage »

[sliding off into SD2x land . . .]
TheDieseliminator wrote:I actually am more interested in turbocharging an SD25 diesel to put into a project 720, but there are no exhaust manifolds out there that you can almost bolt up to one (like an LD28).
You've seen the ones that the fellow over on MSN Groups did, right? I think I stole his pictures . . .

(click on images for larger)

He said it wasn't that hard to mod the ex. man.
that sure will be cool to see you go ahead and do it. It will be a learning process for most of us here I'm sure.
Except for dslsmoke, who won't tell us any details.
Last edited by asavage 16 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Regards,
Al S.

1982 Maxima diesel wagon, 2nd & 4th owner, 165k miles, rusty & burgundy/grey. Purchased 1996, SOLD 16Feb10
1983 Maxima diesel wagon, 199k miles, rusty, light yellow/light brown. SOLD 14Jul07
1981 720 SD22 (scrapped 04Sep07)
1983 Sentra CD17, 255k, bought 06Jul08, gave it away 22Jun10.
TheDieseliminator

Yup, Galen is the one who has done the project and has done it fairly well. Actually speaking of him, I have refered him over here to the message board because I think it would be great for him to become a member. Recently he's done more work on his project SD22 turbo diesel engine and his pictures are described as just awesome. I emailed him yesterday to give him the website address, so I do believe he'll join up right after he reads my email. He's the one I have been communicating to about turbocharging an SD25 and will keep doing so whenever I start it up. First I need a darn truck and engine before I get ahead of myself! Haha.

Salvy
Dslsmoke

Post by Dslsmoke »

Except for dslsmoke, who won't tell us any details.

OK!,
You twisted my arm :roll: , I don't really have a lot of time (I'm at work now :wink: ) so I will, for now copy some of my old posts on another forum and paste them here, even if just to wet your appetite :P ....

You can, just go to your local recycling yard and look for a '81 thru '84 Nissan 280Z Turbo, remove the exhaust manifold, turbo, down pipe, inlet hoses, clamps discharge pipe and don't forget the elbow to attach the discharge pipe to your intake manifold.(make sure you get the oil feed and return lines to and from the turbo)

Then you go to the auto parts store and buy an intake/exhaust gasket for the Diesel. (NOT THE L28 GAS ENGINE)

The mounting flange for the new exhaust manifold will require some minor work, nothing a good bench grinder can't take care of!

The down pipe will interfere with the steering knuckle, you will have to cut about 3" just after the O2 sensor and weld it back (pay close attention to the angle in which you weld it) as for the flange might get in the way of the steering.

As far as the oil supply and return are concerned, just tap into the oil feed and return for the vacuum pump at the alternator.

Go to you muffler shop and have a 2½" or 3" system built for you (NO MUFFLER, YOU DON'T NEED IT WITH THIS SETUP) and get ready for some sweet sounds. One more benefit you'll get from this will be reduced smoke out the tail pipe and of course you will feel an extra "PUNCH" in the seat of you pants when you press the loud pedal.

Here are the instruments I use..

The turbos in my cars have factory waste gates set up for 7.5# of boost, I have taken them up there several times but not for a very long time as I am concerned about the EGT's.

When pulling hard, like up hill at WOT, the EGT's can go up very fast and you don't really want to have them up too high. The higher I've had them it's been 980° F under these conditions.(before the BBQ gas). At normal cruise however, they usually hover around 550° F to 650°F of course the pyro gauge is located after the turbo where the o2 sensor goes in the gas engine

Click Here to read some of the details, if you want more info,,

I hope this old info can help you, I did this swap so long ago, that I have missed placed the pictures, and it is difficult to get new ones now that both my sons have basically taken over the cars as if they owned them, Imagen that!!!!!! :evil:

Dslsmoke.
philip
Deceased

Post by philip »

TheDieseliminator wrote:SNIP. I am more interested in turbocharging an SD25 diesel to put into a project 720, but there are no exhaust manifolds out there that you can almost bolt up to one (like an LD28). SNIP.

Salvy
Not so fast. There is one forklift SD22 exhaust manifold that has the exit flang facing upward and between cylinders 1 & 2. Think about that arrangement. :wink:
Last edited by philip 18 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
-Philip
Passed 08May2008
My friend, you are missed . . .

1982 Datsun 720KC SD-22

"Im slow and I'm ahead of you"
TheDieseliminator

Philip, I can expect this from you as you know more about the SD2x's than I do. I do not know about all the configurations they had in the 4 cylinder diesels, but if a forklift has it I do believe it. Is this manifold just for the 4 cylinder diesel? This particular manifold used on an SD25 or an SD22? Sounds like a manifold I should consider to use if I do tackle this project in the future. Thanks for your reply.

Salvy
asavage
Site Admin

Post by asavage »

Dslsmoke wrote:I don't really have a lot of time (I'm at work now :wink: ) so I will, for now copy some of my old posts on another forum and paste them here, even if just to wet your appetite :P ....
It is appreciated!

Riddle me this:
The mounting flange for the new exhaust manifold will require some minor work, nothing a good bench grinder can't take care of!
Minor work as in some clearancing on the edges so it doesn't interfere with either head studs or LD28 intake? Or somewhere else? "Mounting flange" as in the outlet flange (to the turbo)? Or to the head?
The down pipe will interfere with the steering knuckle, you will have to cut about 3" just after the O2 sensor and weld it back (pay close attention to the angle in which you weld it) as for the flange might get in the way of the steering.
Is this cut-n-rotate? Or am I sectioning the downpipe to shorten?

Damn, I wish I had a decent pic of that downpipe, but I guess I can just reinvent the wheel . . . I would PayPal $10 to the charity of your choice, in return for a good pic of that downpipe!
Here are the instruments I use..
Same stuff I bought (for the F250, which may get stolen for the Maxima).
When pulling hard, like up hill at WOT, the EGT's can go up very fast and you don't really want to have them up too high. The higher I've had them it's been 980° F under these conditions.(before the BBQ gas). At normal cruise however, they usually hover around 550° F to 650°F of course the pyro gauge is located after the turbo where the o2 sensor goes in the gas engine
Under 1000° is great, but (anecdotally) measuring after the turbo means that that actual EGT is probably 150° higher. Hmmm. Adding more air without adding more fuel should lower the EGT. Maybe I should re-think the intercooler. My "ouch" tolerance is 1050° continuous. I do tend to stand on it.

I also appreciate the link to maxima.org . I posted there a couple of times, but it didn't used to have a working Search feature, and nothing it *would* search revealed anything about the LD28, so I stopped reading there.
Regards,
Al S.

1982 Maxima diesel wagon, 2nd & 4th owner, 165k miles, rusty & burgundy/grey. Purchased 1996, SOLD 16Feb10
1983 Maxima diesel wagon, 199k miles, rusty, light yellow/light brown. SOLD 14Jul07
asavage
Site Admin

Post by asavage »

TheDieseliminator wrote:Sounds like a manifold I should consider to use if I do tackle this project in the future.
Salvy, I was able to pick up a cheap 1982 Exhaust Manifold for you today, if you want it. After tax, it was $15 -- a steal (the JY is cheap on parts, but very very muddy -- it was raining the whole time I was there, about 3.5 hours).

One broken stud on the outlet flange which is not an issue if you're going to cut the whole flange off to relocate it anyway, or the studs are easily replaced if you have a heat wrench -- I recommend always replacing exhaust flange studs whenever you have a manifold off.

If you want it, email me (asavage@iname.com) your shipping address and I'll put it in the post on Tuesday. I can take a picture of it, but it looks just like Galen's, only not modified yet! If you don't want it, that's OK I'll just store it and sell it at twice the price when someone breaks theirs. But I'd rather it go to you if you can use it.
Regards,
Al S.

TheDieseliminator

Al, I just happened to read that you got it for me on the message you posted in the SD-series forum. I'll also reply here to let you know what I'd like to do. I appreciate your time and effort to get the manifold removed and bought for me. I can't buy it off the spot right now because I don't currently have a job. But I am still interested in buying it from you if you can hold it for me. I know one thing you can't complain about the price of that baby for sure. Thanks again.
TheDieseliminator

philip wrote:Not so fast. There is one forklift SD22 exhaust manifold that has the exit flang facing upward and between cylinders 1 & 2. Think about that arrangement. :wink:
Philip, do you have any pictures of an SD22 forklift manifold? I'm very interested in seeing what it looks like at the very least. Thinking about this arrangement has made me think using this particular manifold may be best for mounting a turbocharger. One thing I can say off the bat is that after mounting the selected turbocharger you will most likely have it hitting the top of the hood in a 720. May call for making a custom hood scoop though. :D Oh and will an SD22 forklift manifold bolt up to an SD25 engine? Will an SD22 intake manifold bolt up to an SD25? Thanks.

Salvy
asavage
Site Admin

Post by asavage »

I bought a 280ZX Turbo exhaust manifold today, from a JY in NC, $70 shipped to my door. Should be here in about a week.
Regards,
Al S.

asavage
Site Admin

Post by asavage »

asavage wrote:Under 1000° is great, but (anecdotally) measuring after the turbo means that that actual EGT is probably 150° higher. Hmmm. Adding more air without adding more fuel should lower the EGT. Maybe I should re-think the intercooler. My "ouch" tolerance is 1050° continuous. I do tend to stand on it.
Thinking it over, if EGT really runs at that level, I'll probably go water injection under boost, which is absurdly easy to do. In fact, other than a boost switch, I've already bought all the stuff for this setup -- it's just that the parts are for another rig. Hmmm.
Last edited by asavage 18 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Regards,
Al S.

goglio704

Post by goglio704 »

Keep us posted Al. If nothing else comes from this I like the idea of using Zcar parts on a Maxima. Just make sure you scrap anything you don't personally need. :wink: I will be following your progress closely. If I were to do this I would want to increase fuel delivery with boost pressure. I would think the parts to modifiy the pump are out there. The altitude compensation section on the VE pump is similar to the parts used with a boost setup. I know you are just looking for more air, but I also know you have probably thought further than that.
Matt B.

83 Maxima Sedan, LD28, 5 speed, white, 130k miles. My original Maxima.
83 Maxima Sedan converted from gasser, LD28, 5 speed, 2 tone blue, 230k miles
82 Maxima Sedan, LD28, 3 speed auto, 2 tone Gray/Silver, 140k miles
81 810 Sedan, LD28, 3 speed auto, rust, rust, and more rust!

2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
goglio704

Post by goglio704 »

I saw a 280Z turbo manifold on Ebay a while back. I almost bought it, but it looked to me like there would be clearance problems with the diesel intake. I hope I am wrong!
Matt B.

83 Maxima Sedan, LD28, 5 speed, white, 130k miles. My original Maxima.
83 Maxima Sedan converted from gasser, LD28, 5 speed, 2 tone blue, 230k miles
82 Maxima Sedan, LD28, 3 speed auto, 2 tone Gray/Silver, 140k miles
81 810 Sedan, LD28, 3 speed auto, rust, rust, and more rust!

2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
83_maxima

Post by 83_maxima »

Now you guys have got me thinking about this and I don't even have a car yet.

I found an 81 280zxt manifold in the JY last weekend and just spotted 3 turbo 300zxs in another JY today.

I am going to pull one of the turbos off on Saturday and may just keep everything. Hmmmmm...