Für einen Nissan 2,8 Turbodiesel.

Discuss (and cuss) the Nissan LD-series OHC Six diesel engine, popularly available in the US in 1981-83 Datsun/Nissan Maxima Sedans & Wagons.

Moderators: plenzen, glenlloyd, goglio704, Nissan_Ranger

HowlerMonkey

Post by HowlerMonkey »

The 300zx turbo downpipe will hit the steering shaft on rack equipped models.

You can use the stock 280zx turbo downpipe with a 1 inch spacer and it should clear the steering shaft.

I made my own downpipe and it's been working fine on my l24e"t" maxima and it does low 15s with the stock air filter and stock cheesy maxima exhaust system.

I just got here but I have plenty of nissan experience.......just not much diesel experience other than what I ran into as a nissan master tech.

Oh.......the 300zx 4 lugs bolt on, are extremely cheap and are 1/2 inch wider than the 240sx wheels.

I will be doing a write up on R200 differential installation and my super secret turbo oil drain tube soon enough.....with pics.
glenlloyd

Post by glenlloyd »

Welcome aboard! If you would please add some location information to your profile so people know where you're from. We have a pretty small group, spread over a fair distance, so our "network" is pretty thin right now.
HowlerMonkey wrote:Oh.......the 300zx 4 lugs bolt on, are extremely cheap and are 1/2 inch wider than the 240sx wheels.
I'd considered these, but they are pretty heavy, something like 5 lbs heavier than the Maxima alloys, and 4 lbs heavier than the 200SX alloy wheels. I think they would look nice on the Maxima though.
HowlerMonkey wrote:I will be doing a write up on R200 differential installation and my super secret turbo oil drain tube soon enough.....with pics.
I'll enjoy this when you get it done, we've been talking about the R200 rear diff. in some other posts.

steve a
97 Jetta TDI, 86 VW Golf D
89 VW Fox diesel, 92 MB 300SD W140

gir - won't the sploding hurt?
zim - silence!
HowlerMonkey

Post by HowlerMonkey »

The 215/60-15s rub a bit when hitting bumps with the wheels turned but I'll bet one could get away with 215/55s which end up being almost exactly the diameter of the stock wheels.

I'm sure you can get away with 215/50s with no rubbing but I'm not sure how that would look.

You've got to love the information you can get at the tire sites concerning all dimensions of the tires.

A full size spare fits barely in the spare well with the 215/60s as well but it protrudes because of the extra width.
kassim503

Post by kassim503 »

HowlerMonkey wrote: .....I made my own downpipe and it's been working fine on my l24e"t" maxima and it does low 15s with the stock air filter and stock cheesy maxima exhaust system...............
I am interested in what you are running, I pull high 16's- and I wouldnt mind dumping in a few dollars for the extra go power
'83 maxima sedan, l24e, a/t, black

227K SOLD 6/7/2012
83_maxima

Post by 83_maxima »

HowlerMonkey,

I am curious to know what you have done as far as fuel management is concerned with the L24E turbo.

I am strongly considering this and have spoken with someone that has turbocharged 2 of these engines in the past. At a certain point he went to the Z31 harness and ECU for better tunability of the fuel injection system.

A thread on this topic (even though it is not diesel-related) would be awesome!
HowlerMonkey

Post by HowlerMonkey »

LOL at my car.

I just bolted the turbo stuff up straight off of a 280zx turbo.

I did use both the intake and exhaust manifold from the 280zx turbo because it was easier.

As far as engine management, I mixed and matched ecus and air flow meters until I found that the 1982 280zx ecu/air flow meter worked best.

I figured that since the 280zx uses the same size injectors, then it may be set up to run a longer pulse width to compensate for being .4 liters larger than the l24 I am currently running.

The hardest part of the installation was scouring the junkyard for the piping between the air flow meter and the turbo inlet.

I used an intake from a 1984 toyota camry and slightly relocated the air cleaner housing a couple of inches and removed the bracket that holds the coil so it would clear the tube between the turbo and the throttle body.

I had already fitted a 280zx turbo fuel pump in preperation for the f54 with p90 head I have so that is fine with the l24 and stock boost.

I only get a little pinging when I have the o2 sensor connected.

I set the air flow meter flap spring relatively close to stock tension but made sure it was only very slightly rich.

If I unplug the o2 sensor, it doesn't ping.

Best thing is to fit the l28et with the 300zx turbo engine management system but I needed to drive this car so it runs now with the l24.
83_maxima

Post by 83_maxima »

Hmmm...interesting...

I had never thought about using the stock harness or even using 280zx ecus and AFMs. I had been told that they were completley different and non-interchangeable and were not compatible with the Maxima harness - connector pin differences (so I'm told).

Did you use an AFM/ECU combo from an '82 280zx turbo or NA?

So you are using a L28ET turbo and downpipe?

We want to know more about this oil drain tube location. Do tell...

How much boost are you running? Stock L28ET levels? I would think that would need to be lowered to keep the engine together for an acceptable length of time.

Did the turbo assembly clear the steering box, or does it need to be rotated?

Yes, an L28ET in a Maxima is a nice swap, but very involved. There are a few people that have done it. Biggest hurdle with it (IMO) is that the oil drain tube needs to be relocated to the front of the block for use with the L28ET oil pan in addition to relocating the dipstick tube and plugging the original oil pickup tube hole. Then there is fitting everything in the engine compartment...
HowlerMonkey

Post by HowlerMonkey »

None of the stuff other than the turbo manifolds and turbo are from a 280zx turbo.

The boost level is stock for the 1981 280zx turbo.

So the ecu and air flow meter are stock 280zx 1982......non-turbo.

I'll post pics of the oil return tube routing in a few days.

I made my own downpipe but it's routing is for a car with a steering rack and not one with a box.

I'm not sure the turbo will clear the box.

I will say that I only had to remove the driver's side engine mount and bracket to mount it and nothing else.........not even the pan.
83_maxima

Post by 83_maxima »

Wow. I have most of that stuff in my garage right now...

Anyone know what the stock boost on an 81 L28ET is?

How many miles have you put on it since you turboed it? How often do you drive it?

My car does have a rack, I was referring to the steering linkage and not a gear box - sorry for the confusion.
HowlerMonkey

Post by HowlerMonkey »

I sold my z31 so the maxima has been my daily driver for the past 2 months and I log about 60 miles a day on it.

Stock should be around 5psi.

Also.......I'm not sure the 1982 280zx ecu/air flow meter does anything the maxima setup because I swapped them to rule out an ecu or air flow meter problem. It sure was easier to swap them than figure out if there was a problem.
asavage
Site Admin

Post by asavage »

zusmar wrote:i'm new to this site - but i've been a z car nut for 20 years
Welcome to our Sandbox!
recently blending wvo/diesel in my 7.3 f350
While I personally am not a fan of WVO, or even SVO, there are a few folks here doing it, notably Carimbo IIRC.
what kind of power are you talking when one hooks up one of these incredible diesel inline sixers with a turbo --because i'm about to go with diesel in the 240z project that i've had on stand by for along time- man i can imagian lots of power & smelling like frys flying by
The stock LD28 in Gen1 Maxima trim was rated at 80HP. I think I've covered the boost vs fuelling issue upthread, I suggest you read this whole thread for more info, esp page 3.

Nobody really knows how much more HP is available by adding a turbo to the LD28. I am planning on doing this too, and I will by dynoing "before" and "after", and the "after" will be several iterations, as I add & tweak (intercooler, exhaust mod, boost control, etc.). But right now, nobody has a real number to quote you -- all are guesses, unless someone has ponied up for the dyno time.

My dyno numbers will be with the engine in a Wagon and with an automatic behind the engine, so an optimized exhaust for a shorter vehicle and a manual trans would likely net more wheel HP than I will see.
Regards,
Al S.

1982 Maxima diesel wagon, 2nd & 4th owner, 165k miles, rusty & burgundy/grey. Purchased 1996, SOLD 16Feb10
1983 Maxima diesel wagon, 199k miles, rusty, light yellow/light brown. SOLD 14Jul07
1981 720 SD22 (scrapped 04Sep07)
1983 Sentra CD17, 255k, bought 06Jul08, gave it away 22Jun10.
blueeagle

Whay Turbo a LD28

Post by blueeagle »

Power and mileage set aside, there is another reason to turbo the LD28 (mildly), that is NORMALIZATION!

As in aircraft engines a turbo is often used to normalize an engine to sea or below sea level atmospheric pressures. This has an advantage in that your manifold pressure is more constant, especially when cruising on the freeway. This allow the engine to run at its optimized fuel delivery setting. Regardless of the altitude of the mountain pass you are headed over in Cruise control, like Eisenhower pass in Colorado 11,500 FT above sea level!

Wouldn't it be nice not to have the Cruise control drop you back to manual on that 6500 FT 6% pass at 75 mph in your generation one Maxima?
glenlloyd

Post by glenlloyd »

Zombie post - back from the dead!

Was reading online comments about the LD28 and found this where a "claim" of 154 HP on the dyno for the LD28 with a turbo from the LD20 and custom fabrication. Thought it was an interesting tidbit of info some might enjoy.

steve a
97 Jetta TDI, 86 VW Golf D
89 VW Fox diesel, 92 MB 300SD W140

gir - won't the sploding hurt?
zim - silence!
davehoos

Post by davehoos »

low boost pressure IE 7 PSI,normally give 50% increase of tourque.
tourque X RPM = horse power.

turbo on diesel helps with horse power drivability at higher rpm.
If you have a slow reving diesel you get 50% more HP,as the rpm increases you dont get that sharp power drop off that NA diesels tend to do.so you can expect more than 50% at high rpm.

standard 80 HP.very easy to get 20% more with breathing and fuel modfications.most factory engines are detuned and suffer from massproduction losses......just dont expect it to be economical.
WCJR31 Skyline.3.0 manual.wagon
R31 SKYLINE/Passage GT/PINTARA
LPG Ford Falcon 99-06 93 Disco
Local Shire Southern Zone Mechanic.
asavage
Site Admin

Post by asavage »

_blaylok wrote:Hi again Al, i have uploaded a couple of pics of a turbo'd LD28 i found on TradeMe.co.NZ. That whole motor was for sale for $450NZ. So i have read the whole turbo thread a couple of times. It speaks of you going and getting your turbo but no pics?
I have so many irons in the fire that I can't get many done.

I have the turbo, several manifolds, other pieces. But I just recently got the driveshaft vibration sort of repaired, and that was holding me back from doing the "before" dyno run. Now that I'm not afraid of full-throttle runs tearing out the back of the trans, I can schedule a run to establish the "before" baseline figures.

I also am going to acquire a sandblast cabinet. I've looked at having pieces blasted and the cost to buy the cabinet is not a lot greater than having a few manifolds done. The big cost is in the compressor, which I don't have (not one that will begin to run a sandblast cabinet). I am working on my boss buying one instead :) It's coming along.

I finally got OpenOffice installed so I could get the JPGs you uploaded wrested from the .doc files you uploaded! Blech, just upload the pics next time if you can.

These are the full-size pics:
Image Image Image

The picture showing the oil filter side looks strange to my eyes because US-spec LD28s in autos all have factory oil coolers and the oil filter mounts vertical. That mounting looks like the way the oil filters mount on the gasser L24/26/28 engines here.
Regards,
Al S.

1982 Maxima diesel wagon, 2nd & 4th owner, 165k miles, rusty & burgundy/grey. Purchased 1996, SOLD 16Feb10
1983 Maxima diesel wagon, 199k miles, rusty, light yellow/light brown. SOLD 14Jul07
1981 720 SD22 (scrapped 04Sep07)
1983 Sentra CD17, 255k, bought 06Jul08, gave it away 22Jun10.