Hitachi LR160 60A alternator

Discuss (and cuss) the Nissan LD-series OHC Six diesel engine, popularly available in the US in 1981-83 Datsun/Nissan Maxima Sedans & Wagons.

Moderators: plenzen, glenlloyd, goglio704, Nissan_Ranger

83_maxima

Post by 83_maxima »

Well, WRI (WRS) is not a good supplier for these parts.

Talked with them today. They will not sell to you until you are approved by corporate (read red tape) and you cannot be approved for a business account by corporate if you don't have a "rebuilder's license."

I call b.s. and so does my boss. He's never heard of an alternator or starter rebuilder with a "rebuilder's license."

But anyway, looks as if I'll be going several places to get these parts. Bearing house for the bearings, a seal house for the seal, maybe napa for the rectifier and brushes.

So, a bit disappointed in these folks, but will move on.
asavage
Site Admin

Post by asavage »

NAPA does list the diode assy, Echlin No. AC77, $95:

However, I can sell you that Rexco/Transpo unit for half that, shipped. Keep it in mind.

The seal I source has a double lip, as opposed to the single-lip OEM version. If you find the correct dimensions, watch for that difference. The OEM seal wears a groove in the rotor shaft that the new seal sometimes has a hard time sealing to. A work-around is to drop a washer into the bore before the seal to move the seal's lip to a new area of the rotor shaft. The way Townsend Electric (and I) are dealing with worn rotors is to use the double-lip seal. $5, if you can't find one yourself.

Brgs you can do as well locally as I, I'm sure.

Not trying to sell you parts, but I've spent a bit of time trying to beat my local guy's prices and got nowhere myself.

While you're in there, you might do the Tachometer Pickup Mod as well. It's easy to do when you've got the case split: one hole, 6" of wire, one solder point.
Last edited by asavage 16 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
83_maxima

Post by 83_maxima »

I'd be glad to buy parts from you Al. Beats driving around this town to buy all of these different parts.

If you are willing to sell the seal and rexco rectifier, PM me.
asavage
Site Admin

Post by asavage »

Parts are on their way to you.

---------------------

Rexco is a division of Romaine Electric. According to their website, WAI bought Transpo, then stopped selling Transpo to Romaine. Romaine is still getting Transpo from somewhere else and reselling it.

Romaine appears to sell retail, if you call them (though I have not tested this). They have eleven locations (FL, KS, CA, UT, WA, etc.). I buy from my local guy because he orders often and does not zap me shipping.

For diodes, Romaine is selling a different brand in addition to Transpo, but for that brand they don't have an interchange for ours.
diesel-man
Deceased

LR160 no indicator light

Post by diesel-man »

Al:
I have a LD28 LR160 alternator and one day all the dash lights came on, only one time. A week later I noticed the headlights were dim one night, etc. Short story is it wasn't charging much but there was no charge indicator light with the key on or at any other time. (running or not) Put another alt. on it and it is fine (wifes car...no shananigans)

Took the old alt. apart days later and the diodes are fine. (replaced it yrs back) One brush was too short (always the rear one) and only 1/3 of the surface was shiny. Electronics is not my favorite thing, but through reading the other posts, is it possible the short brush fried the voltage regulator? Is that the normal scenario? (no light = bad regulator/brushes)

Thanks again
asavage
Site Admin

Post by asavage »

I am told by my rebuilder that voltage spikes from bad diodes (and, presumably, bouncing brushes?) take out the internal voltage regulator, yes. I haven't personally had a bad VR on the Hitachis, though I replaced ONE once only to find the bad diodes later when replacing the VR didn't fix the problem I was chasing.

I'm surprised the dash lights didn't light but once. The Bulb Check Relay seems pretty sensitive to a difference in voltage from the field and the rest of the system, and on the Maximas where I've had to deal with, any alternator problem quickly toggles all the dash lights under control of the Bulb Check Relay. But, obviously, you found some condition where that didn't happen.
diesel-man
Deceased

Post by diesel-man »

Al:
That is what was so weird that the charge light would not light up under any conditions...there was nothing you could do to make that light come on. Is there a way to test the VR on the bench?
asavage
Site Admin

Post by asavage »

I don't know of any bench test for the VR. If you take a look at the charging system diagram . . .

(click on image for larger)

. . . the warning lamp is grounded by the field (rotor) circuit. If a brush isn't working or the field is open, the lamp won't light.

That's my best guess at this point.
LD'd VC

Can they be swapped

Post by LD'd VC »

Seeing you guys are comparing the 150 and 160 i wold like to make a question. I have to replace my alternator from my LD. My scrappy has only been able to supply me with the Sd 150 alternator can it be used on the Ld model?
82 VC Commodore Wagon
asavage
Site Admin

Re: Can they be swapped

Post by asavage »

Not really. I mean, it *could* be made to work, but you'd be much better off having your core rebuilt.
Regards,
Al S.

1982 Maxima diesel wagon, 2nd & 4th owner, 165k miles, rusty & burgundy/grey. Purchased 1996, SOLD 16Feb10
1983 Maxima diesel wagon, 199k miles, rusty, light yellow/light brown. SOLD 14Jul07
1981 720 SD22 (scrapped 04Sep07)
1983 Sentra CD17, 255k, bought 06Jul08, gave it away 22Jun10.
asavage
Site Admin

Post by asavage »

I suppose it might be possible to use a Sentra/CD17 LR150 alternator. That one has a 3-wire plug. Not sure about the physical dimensions (the vacuum pump on the Sentra is much smaller; the diameter of the sheave might be different).

Or, you could buy Ray's. Shipping, I know.
Regards,
Al S.

1982 Maxima diesel wagon, 2nd & 4th owner, 165k miles, rusty & burgundy/grey. Purchased 1996, SOLD 16Feb10
1983 Maxima diesel wagon, 199k miles, rusty, light yellow/light brown. SOLD 14Jul07
1981 720 SD22 (scrapped 04Sep07)
1983 Sentra CD17, 255k, bought 06Jul08, gave it away 22Jun10.