Engine rotation?

Discuss (and cuss) the Nissan LD-series OHC Six diesel engine, popularly available in the US in 1981-83 Datsun/Nissan Maxima Sedans & Wagons.

Moderators: plenzen, glenlloyd, goglio704, Nissan_Ranger

TheDieseliminator

Engine rotation?

Post by TheDieseliminator »

I had a question and it's one I don't know the answer to. You would think the Nissan factory shop manual would tell you this, but I don't think it does. It might though, but I haven't looked very well in my 1981 Datsun 810 diesel FSM. What way does the LD28 diesel engine rotate when it's running, clockwise or counter-clockwise? If I had to guess I would say clockwise because of the times I've seen it turned over while looking under the hood (when one is in the car turning the ignition and I am looking under the hood). That's just my guess though and wanted to find out the right way it really does turn. Thank you.

Salvy
kassim503

Post by kassim503 »

look at the fan's blades, the fan always sucks air into the engine compartment, if the ld28 turns the same direction as the gasser it would turn clockwise if you look head on at the engine, or counterclockwise if you sit inside the car
'83 maxima sedan, l24e, a/t, black

227K SOLD 6/7/2012
asavage
Site Admin

Post by asavage »

List of auto engines (not motorcycle) that turn CCW:

* Corvair (unless you use a Crown Enterprises "reverse grind cam" for installation to a late VW/Porsche transaxle . . . yes, I've done this, and you also have to get a special dist. drive gear, closely control dist. shaft end play (learned the hard way) and flip over all the pistons, as the pin is offset for CCW rotation).

* Fiat 600/850

Both rear engine.

* Honda

* Dual-engine marine vessels (the starboard engine is reversed)

Any others?

You want to be careful with using fan rotation as a guide -- many Ford products turn the fan opposite the crank rotation. The Ford diesel PU did that on the 7.3l diesel in (1993?) when they went to a serpentine belt. The water pumps will bolt on but only the correct one will pump water. Same thing with the fan clutches.

While the 1981 FSM Diesel Supplment does not specifically mention engine rotation, it can be inferred by the text on Adjusting Injection Timing on page MA-7, paragraph 5. However, one could be excused for not mistaking this as an explicit rotation reference.

Sticking my neck out and rashly generalizing without even going outside with a flashlight and lifting the hood, I'm going to state that we're safe in assuming that the LD28 in our vehicles runs CW rotation as viewed standing at the front bumper looking at the harmonic balancer. If you find otherwise, please let me know ;)
Regards,
Al S.

1982 Maxima diesel wagon, 2nd & 4th owner, 165k miles, rusty & burgundy/grey. Purchased 1996, SOLD 16Feb10
1983 Maxima diesel wagon, 199k miles, rusty, light yellow/light brown. SOLD 14Jul07
1981 720 SD22 (scrapped 04Sep07)
1983 Sentra CD17, 255k, bought 06Jul08, gave it away 22Jun10.
TheDieseliminator

Post by TheDieseliminator »

Thanks for the replies guys. I really did think the LD28 operated in the clockwise motion and I bet that is the correct way. Good talk about the fans as I didn't think about that. Helps me clarify the right way the engine does turn. Good deal.
kassim503

Post by kassim503 »

yeah alot of those new serpentine belts have the fan and water pump on the "backside" of the belt and it would turn backwards
'83 maxima sedan, l24e, a/t, black

227K SOLD 6/7/2012
davehoos

Post by davehoos »

cant resist.this is one of those questions.I m sorry.

In most countries the engine runs clockwise.this is correct answer-looking at it from the front to service it.the workshop manual will show that.
japanese,OZ,UK-Left,Right,Front and Rear are from the driving position.so the engine runs anticlockwise.you mostly get caught talking about engine bay items,looking from the front the right side is on the wrong side.and the drive shaft goes backwards.

old Hondas run backwards.and some cars the engine is in backwards.at the front.a VW engine was always refered to as running clockwise.but its from the back.

what is a problem is onside-offside.this term is used by pannel shops.and refers to the car parked in the direction of traffic.left hand drive is reversed to RHD.
WCJR31 Skyline.3.0 manual.wagon
R31 SKYLINE/Passage GT/PINTARA
LPG Ford Falcon 99-06 93 Disco
Local Shire Southern Zone Mechanic.