LD20T-II Oil Filter cross-reference

Discuss (and cuss) the Nissan LD-series OHC Six diesel engine, popularly available in the US in 1981-83 Datsun/Nissan Maxima Sedans & Wagons.

Moderators: plenzen, glenlloyd, goglio704, Nissan_Ranger

wbrproductions

LD20T-II Oil Filter

Post by wbrproductions »

If anyone is still tracking this thread... I have the same problem: finding parts for an LD20T-II engine in the USA. Just went to NAPA and accidently found a usable oil filter substitute for this engine - NAPA 1091. 1"-12 inlet, slightly shorter and fatter than stock 15208-40L00. Has the bypass circuit. Pix:

You can see the bypass circuit:

Will require a slight mod to the power steering pump mount bolt underneath, as the filter rubs on that bolt. If you grind a few mm off that bolt, the filter will spin right on, and fits perfectly. $23 at NAPA, and was in stock.

On a side note, I welcome any advice anyone has on this message board concerning this engine or mounting it in a different rig. In my case, that's an 81 Toyota pickup.
Jamming an LD20T-II into an 89 Nissan D21 p'up
wbrproductions

Update: Fleetguard direct fit for LD20T-II

Post by wbrproductions »

This can be ordered from Cummins dealers and diesel truck shops:

http://www.cumminsfiltration.com/catalo ... rentPage=1

That's a direct fit for the 15208-40L00 filter.
ANGRYLANCE

Post by ANGRYLANCE »

Awesome thanks wbrproductions. Do you have the OD of the filter at hand? Already have my engine mounted and dont have much room next to the filter.
Only problem I ran into installing this thing is the trans input shaft was too long. If you didnt get the trans that came with the engine and use a Datsun transmission make sure you check that before bolting things up. I installed the trans and then noticed it would not turn in neutral. Cut 1/4" off the shaft and it works fine.
One of the simpler conversions I have done, seems like a good engine so far.
Last edited by ANGRYLANCE 14 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
wbrproductions

Post by wbrproductions »

ANGRLYLANCE - that's great to hear, thanks much for the advice. :D

One follow up, if you don't mind: I do have the transmission that came with the engine, its a column-shift (not sure that matters) 5-speed manual, likely from a late 80's Serena or Homy. The problem is that I don't have the linkage. I'm currently trying to figure out what's more prudent: adapting the LD20T-II to the toyota trans, or attempting to find a linkage somewhere and making my own trans mount. The toyota has no linkage - the stick goes right thru the floor into the back of the transmission. Any advice on this? The various adapter plates, clutch plates, shaft spline diameter, etc are all slightly different.

I will measure the OD of NAPA filter later today, and post it here.

Thanks again,
wbrproductions
wbrproductions

Post by wbrproductions »

NAPA 1091 OD is 108mm, 4 1/4".
davehoos

Post by davehoos »

nissan manual trans cable shift.
the front housing and gears are the same for a floor shift of the same age.
late 80's will be a 71 mm type C trans.

being remote shift it has a short main shaft--old hommy had a long type B trans to share mounts with auto trans.the standard floor shift gear stick was mounted 90 deg.

short floor 71 mm type C box are rare and in some cases the housing are not interchangable.D21 will be a common source in usa.speedo drive comes out the other side and there is other differences with the shift gate.

much easier to fit the front section to a regular trans.cable shifts from toyota and mitubishi based cars are easy to adapt.
WCJR31 Skyline.3.0 manual.wagon
R31 SKYLINE/Passage GT/PINTARA
LPG Ford Falcon 99-06 93 Disco
Local Shire Southern Zone Mechanic.
ANGRYLANCE

Post by ANGRYLANCE »

I wouldnt bother trying to convert your Toyo trans to fit. Easiest route would be to get a 280z trans or similar from a JY, it will bolt right up and you wont have to worry about linkages etc.
wbrproductions

Post by wbrproductions »

Thanks again for the advice, sounds like I was about to go down a rathole.

So, if you are both correct, I could readily adapt a transmission from either a 280Z or a D21 pickup. I assume this means that both trannys have the shifter protruding directly out the top, rather than thru a cable linkage?

This would be much easier, please advise - just wanted to make sure before I change my strategy. As you both probably figured out, I'm a backyard hack, not a professional... I do have extensive experience with engine wrangling, however.
wbrproductions

Post by wbrproductions »

for example: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... 0339458722

The housing looks the same, and the vintage is similar...
wbrproductions

one more question

Post by wbrproductions »

Out of curiosity, davehoos, are you able to verify the transmission type from these numbers stampted on the case:

?

Thanks again,
wbrproductions
ANGRYLANCE

Post by ANGRYLANCE »

Yup that trans on ebay will bolt up. The LD20 is basically an L series block which means any transmission that came in a vehicle with an L13-28 will work. I have a dog leg 5spd from a 200sx and it bolts up. Although I cant remember if I already said this but the output shaft will probably have to be cut 1/4 otherwise it is too long and hits the back of the flywheel.
wbrproductions

Post by wbrproductions »

Excellent, great information. You saved me a lot of frustration and bloody knuckles. I'll make sure to post some pix once I get to the next step.

Thanks again.
davehoos

Post by davehoos »

the numbers stamped into the top are production serial numbers.
im guessing its 61K of a type 1,and not 1mil 61K.

not seen any and listed in parts books etc ,to give cut off points for production up dates.

L6 casting id is obvious.seen lots of these.australian gearbox casting have NMAC and its normaly on the rear housing.
australian made 71mm box is normally for 4 cyl L20B,it has L4 or some other id mark.havent got any close by to check.

had a look at a SD 4 speed under house,its maked H2 [H20 4 cyl petrol].
no serial number i could find with a scratcher.number 5 cast on the rear housing-floor change long trans-but this cant be used as a 5 speed.i would guess its cast number 5 or version 5.it has hole for LHD floor shift but its full of factory sealer..

L4 spigiot shaft sticks out a good 1nch past the mating plane of the trans.
H2 is very short..

I have an australian light duty B/W 4 speed in the shed out of a 810.it used a lucas starter so it has a nut/bolt mounting.the casting is drill though with flat spot fo the nut.ive used the 5 speed version as my diesel starter is threaded.using these or the american L28ET B/W T5 adapted to suit the toyota.

another thing to remember is the axle ratio--using a L28 gearbox will be a close ratio deal.a ld20 will be 3.5 or lower first gear.i used the 4+:1 to let it crawl at idle.there is a 4.9 and using light truck boxes they get very low ratio.
WCJR31 Skyline.3.0 manual.wagon
R31 SKYLINE/Passage GT/PINTARA
LPG Ford Falcon 99-06 93 Disco
Local Shire Southern Zone Mechanic.
rlaggren

Post by rlaggren »

Found this site looking for other stuff. Seems like a really great resource, so I'll post a link to the "oil page" here; the site covers _lots_ of other topics.

http://www.carbibles.com/engineoil_bible.html

Apologies if somebody else has linked it somewhere but I didn't find it on a quick search.

Cheers, Rufus
82 Maxima wagon
FiltranZer

Post by FiltranZer »

I am so glad that I visited this site I never thought that I will got the information that I need in this discussion,.,