Nissan LD28M runs rough at low rpm

Discuss (and cuss) the Nissan LD-series OHC Six diesel engine, popularly available in the US in 1981-83 Datsun/Nissan Maxima Sedans & Wagons.

Moderators: plenzen, glenlloyd, goglio704, Nissan_Ranger

DonGuy

Nissan LD28M runs rough at low rpm

Post by DonGuy »

Hello,

I have a marine-configured LD28 in a 1986 albin 27 boat. An "LD28M". It starts well and runs nicely, except that below 1100rpm it runs very rough. No smoke. A lot of vibration from idle up to 1100. Smooths out above 1100rpm or so. Rough whether cold or warm. Has about 3300 hours.

I'm hoping someone may be able to point me in the right direction to fix this. Is there a common problem with the LD28 that will cause it to run rough at low rpm?

I'm going to have the injectors cleaned, refurbished, tested etc.

I'm wondering if I possibly have a problem with the pump. Yikes. The pump appears to be a Bosch VE. If anyone knows the exact model number, that would be really helpful. (Probably the same as what is in the Maxima).

Thanks,
Don
DieselBuddy

LD28M - Vibration

Post by DieselBuddy »

Front Damper replaced ?

I would look at everything you could with the oil pan off ( all bolts tight on the connecting rods, main bearing caps, flywheel bolts, etc. etc. )

What is the condition of the Damper on the Front of the Engine ?
diesel-man
Deceased

Re: Nissan LD28M runs rough at low rpm

Post by diesel-man »

DonGuy wrote:Hello,

I have a marine-configured LD28 in a 1986 albin 27 boat. An "LD28M". It starts well and runs nicely, except that below 1100rpm it runs very rough. No smoke. A lot of vibration from idle up to 1100. Smooths out above 1100rpm or so. Rough whether cold or warm. Has about 3300 hours.

I'm hoping someone may be able to point me in the right direction to fix this. Is there a common problem with the LD28 that will cause it to run rough at low rpm?

I'm going to have the injectors cleaned, refurbished, tested etc.

I'm wondering if I possibly have a problem with the pump. Yikes. The pump appears to be a Bosch VE. If anyone knows the exact model number, that would be really helpful. (Probably the same as what is in the Maxima).

Thanks,
Don

Don:
Loosen each injector line (one at a time at the injector) while running to determine which cylinder is not making power. Check valve adjustment especially on that cylinder, but do them all. If no change, then pull that injector and put in another one. If no change, take a compression reading to see if one cylinder has low compression. Valve adjustment, injector then rings/cylinder. Hope this helps.
DieselBuddy

Marine L28D Motor Vibrating

Post by DieselBuddy »

Check Motor Mounts,

See FAQ's in this forum, other suggestions in similar forums
asavage
Site Admin

Post by asavage »

Three years later, I'm finally following up on an email that Don sent me, with a picture of his Albin LD28M flywheel and some hard numbers. The idea was for me to host his pic and make the info available for others, but it sorta fell through the cracks (more like hit near the bottom of my To-Do list). I apologize.
DonGuy wrote:Subject: LD28M flywheel dimensions - followup
Date: Sun, January 24, 2010 4:25 pm

Hello Al,

A belated follow-up to the info you helped me with last spring.

I've got a marine-configured "LD28M" in a 1986 Albin 27 boat. I was looking for flywheel dimensions in order to get a new damper plate without first having to take it apart. In the end though I did take it apart to get the dimensions, so I was able to order the right part. I installed an R&D Marine 42AC8 damper plate and am very happy with it.

The mounting holes on the flywheel are 6x0.32in on a 10.625 bolt circle (6x8.1mm on 269.9 mm). As well, I've attached a picture of the flywheel.

Thanks again,
Don
(click on image for larger)
Regards,
Al S.

1982 Maxima diesel wagon, 2nd & 4th owner, 165k miles, rusty & burgundy/grey. Purchased 1996, SOLD 16Feb10
1983 Maxima diesel wagon, 199k miles, rusty, light yellow/light brown. SOLD 14Jul07
1981 720 SD22 (scrapped 04Sep07)
1983 Sentra CD17, 255k, bought 06Jul08, gave it away 22Jun10.