valve timing question

Discuss (and cuss) the Nissan LD-series OHC Six diesel engine, popularly available in the US in 1981-83 Datsun/Nissan Maxima Sedans & Wagons.

Moderators: plenzen, glenlloyd, goglio704, Nissan_Ranger

JasperG

valve timing question

Post by JasperG »

Hey All, I am putting a new head on my LD28 and the tensioner fell out. The timing chain doesnt appear to have any marks on it, except for the one I put on it when I took it apart. I turned the motor itself to TDC by lining up the marks at the flywheel, but how do I know it is on the compression stroke? The key on the crank is pointed up and the mark on the crankshaft sproket is facing the intake side. I found the camshaft timing per the manual and the mark and it turns over freely w/o any valve contact...Any advice on how to do this would be appreciated. Gordo
diesel-man
Deceased

Post by diesel-man »

Crankshaft just needs to be TDC. Camshaft determines if it is compression stroke...so just line up cam and crank per FSManual. Once the hydraulic tensioner falls out...it is a little diffucult. Perhaps you can get it back in place with a couple long screwdrivers...if not, then the timing cover needs to come off.
kassim503

Post by kassim503 »

When I dropped my chain just like you did and the tensioner fell out you can use a 18" screwdriver to pop the tensioner back in. It really isnt as hard as it sounds believe it or not, but the chain may have moved around on the lower pulley, so just make sure you rotate the engine by hand a couple of turns feeling around carefully before starting.
'83 maxima sedan, l24e, a/t, black

227K SOLD 6/7/2012
JasperG

Post by JasperG »

thanks guys. I went ahead and pulled the cover off to get the tensioner back on. I appreciate the help with the TDC, I was a bit confused about that but I had it right the first time. Thanks again for the help. Gordo