Injection pump timing Im lost on the marks help!

Discuss (and cuss) the Nissan LD-series OHC Six diesel engine, popularly available in the US in 1981-83 Datsun/Nissan Maxima Sedans & Wagons.

Moderators: plenzen, glenlloyd, goglio704, Nissan_Ranger

1982810maximadiesel

Injection pump timing Im lost on the marks help!

Post by 1982810maximadiesel »

I just installed a new injection pump on my rig but cannot figure out how to set the pump on time. I have read all through the post and came across some info on page 4. Is there a refrence groove on the pump housing.Will someone please give me a detailed step by step on installing the pulley on the pump a/b or . I have read the manual over and over and cant get the car to run smooth its just pinging and smoking. your help will be greatly appreciated.

I have folloowed the fsm but car does not seem to run right Is there something im doing wrong.

How is this done? :cry:

1982 Maxima diesel 365,480 miles
windsock

Post by windsock »

G'day Max 8)

Here are some pictures of when I did mine. I had a couple of markings on my IP wheel. This is the set-up that got the truck going. Cavaet emptor - use with caution as not all IP pulleys are the same as my one.

Crank mark... align belt mark to pulley mark.

Align belt to second mark on pulley (B).

A look at the relative positions of the marks. See below for another shot.

another shot of the pulley I had to use.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Phil
Good roads lead to bad fishing.
1982810maximadiesel

Thanks On the second picture of the .B injection pump pulley. Where does that pulley line up with the markings What position?
windsock

Post by windsock »

1982810maximadiesel wrote:Thanks On the second picture of the .B injection pump pulley. Where does that pulley line up with the markings What position?
Not sure I understand the question too well but...

On my IP pulley, I only had one keyway to fit to the IP shaft. If you have a look at the background to that photo I took it on the FSM with a diagram of a two-keyway pulley. This confused the zap out of me. Is this what your question is?

Otherwise, I think you may be asking me where the pulley lined up with the markings on the belt? One mark to the knotch on the crank pulley and one knotch to the mark I used on the IP pulley. Just be aware that not all pulley's are the same as my one if the FSM is anything to go by...

This page also has an IP pulley discussion http://nissandiesel.dyndns.org/viewtopic.php?t=1105

Hope that helps.
Good roads lead to bad fishing.
1982810maximadiesel

update after 2 months finally got the Max timed

i went to a newer injection pump from a 1983. However timing marks were completely in the opposite direction. It took me two weeks to figure out the correct marks.

thanks

1982 Maxima Diesel aprroaching 400,000 k miles