New to diesels

Discuss (and cuss) the Nissan LD-series OHC Six diesel engine, popularly available in the US in 1981-83 Datsun/Nissan Maxima Sedans & Wagons.

Moderators: plenzen, glenlloyd, goglio704, Nissan_Ranger

Mechiel

New to diesels

Post by Mechiel »

After many years of fiddling with gassers I decided on a LD 28 for my Patrol 4x4 as t is almost a standard fit. I managed to get an engine and rebuilt it. The engine was bored and new pistons and rings fitted by the engineering shop. The head was also done by them. Everything was put together by the book, FSM. I decided to recon the pump (myself??), as it was lying open for quite some time. All seals and O-rings were replaced (kit). I did not have it calibrated, but made sure the timing marks are 100% and the IP pump marks lines up with the housing. I fitted an after market glow plug controller, 11 seconds pre heat. On the first crank of the engine it fired up. The engine runs fine, however lots of white smoke and diesel smell, I often get a knock (tok tok) on the cylinder head side when revving the engine. I have done the valve gaps after the engine was hot. Should the feeler guage slide with friction after setting, or can I close the valve on the gauge and then just pull it out? When it idles, the noise is still there after which it dissapears. I did not do the static timing of the IP pump with the dial gauge, but made sure of the 20cogs and pulley marks. What could be the cause of the knock on the cylinder head?
windsock

Re: New to diesels

Post by windsock »

Mechiel wrote:...I did not have it calibrated
I did not do the static timing of the IP pump with the dial gauge,
You did all that work above and then did not do these two things? Odd in my book to go through a whole lot of work and expense to then not do calibration and timing. It may well be the problem.

It doesn't matter about all the work you did on this engine if the diesel is not being injected at the right time in the right quantity. Timing and calibration... important parts of setting up an engine from a tear down and rebuild.

Hope i goes well after you do these things.

Cheers,

Phil
Good roads lead to bad fishing.
Carimbo

Post by Carimbo »

Incorrect IP timing can cause smoke and knock like you are experiencing. Is the engine installed? How does it run in general?
Mechiel

Post by Mechiel »

Thanks for the replies. Engine is in the car. I had the pump at 2 Calibration shops, but it seems like there is some sort of a monopoly on this in my home town Pretoria South Africa. They are not interested in calibration only, as they both want to recondition the IP (moreso after I informed them of my self servicing of it) at a considerable price. They however tested the injectors which proved to be fine. At first I made a mistake on the counting of the number of teeth on the IP belt (21), but rectified it and made sure of TDC, sprocket mark B and 20 cogs mark to mark. Engine ran much better, however still white smoke and sound, although better.
From previous posts, it is clear that one cannot adjust the timing on the IP by ear and feel, so I shall have to make a static timer tool. In the mean time, I do think of timing the IP pump 1mm. If I want to retard the timing, do I move the IP towards the engine or away from it.
On the right hand side of the IP there is a bracket that connects to the 2 waterpipe cold start device. In no manual there is any setting shown for this bracket. Can anybody shar light on this one.