PS idler pulley

Discuss (and cuss) the Nissan LD-series OHC Six diesel engine, popularly available in the US in 1981-83 Datsun/Nissan Maxima Sedans & Wagons.

Moderators: plenzen, glenlloyd, goglio704, Nissan_Ranger

rlaggren

PS idler pulley

Post by rlaggren »

The power steering pulley is the same diameter and belt size as the air conditioner pulley and appears to use the same bearing, BUT on my engine:

The PS pulley is close to 1/8" thicker and this means that if you want to swap them in an emergency you must shuffle those washers and bearing shields you find in front/behind the pulley carefully to get the bearing shields at the proper clearance and to get the pulley to line up with the engine pulley and the PS pulley. I think the rear spacer washers are 7/16 and the front 3/8 (of course not really cuz they're metric...). I say "think" because I didn't find any to fit and had to ream out some 3/8" to suit just to get the thing done so I could go get the right part.

Somewhere here I a saw Q about whether spacer washers were OEM. FWIW, I think they are.

I got a new bearing w/out issue over the counter at the local bearing shop; but the counter guy shoved a Chinese brand at me the first time; it took two tries to get a decent one - cost all of $9. Last year I had bad luck w/Chinese bearings straight out of the box so now I ask for better.

I'll edit this to show a part number in a day or two.

Rufus
82 Maxima wagon