Couple of wires I'm not sure of

Discuss (and cuss) the Nissan LD-series OHC Six diesel engine, popularly available in the US in 1981-83 Datsun/Nissan Maxima Sedans & Wagons.

Moderators: plenzen, glenlloyd, goglio704, Nissan_Ranger

asdex

Couple of wires I'm not sure of

Post by asdex »

Hi, I have just bought a Transit van with an LD28 and 4N71B auto. There a couple of wires coming from the front cover of the engine beside the pulley on the front of the crankshaft. Would anyone know what they are. They are blue and green. I'll see if I can get a picture on.
Thanks,
windsock

Post by windsock »

These sound likely to be from the rev sensor. In the Northern hemisphere this is used for the EGR control. In NZ I have yet to see an LD28 with EGR and I have used this for the tacho out of the laurel car. This was how it was connected up when I pulled the engine out of th donor car - 1986 Laurel.

Where in NZ are you?

Hope this helps.

Phil
Good roads lead to bad fishing.
asdex

Wires

Post by asdex »

Thanks very much. I'll try a multi meter on them and see what happens. I'm in Dunedin.
I might get a manual and see them on Trademe so can check the wiring diagram but I guess a rev counter may be useful.
Cheers
windsock

Post by windsock »

Yep, I just cut the tacho out of the laurel guage cluster I kept from the donor car and wired this up and housed it all in a klick-klack box from the food cupboard... :lol:

Works well enough and one day when I can afford to buy a proper tacho it'll give me a signal I can calibrate against.

Good to see another kiwi on the board. Surprising there are so few given the high number of LD's about.

Cheers,

Phil
opie

Post by opie »

"Klick-Klack box?" Sounds like a snack food box.

The Diesel 810 that I got my last engine out of is still around. Should I grab the tach and something else out of the donor car? Do these engines use a different signal than gassers that are an issue with normal tachs?

Thanks.
Two salvage yard engines being diagnosed for repair.
asdex

Wires

Post by asdex »

Here is a pictures of the wires. I know what they are now but I wanted to try and see if I can get a picture on the forum.
Cheers

windsock

Post by windsock »

opie wrote:"Klick-Klack box?" Sounds like a snack food box.

The Diesel 810 that I got my last engine out of is still around. Should I grab the tach and something else out of the donor car? Do these engines use a different signal than gassers that are an issue with normal tachs?

Thanks.
Yep, 'klick-klacks' are resealable food boxes. I found one that I cut in half to house the tacho from the car. Looks butt-ugly sitting in amongst the other gauges but it works. When funds allow I'll buy a good aftermarket jobbie.

If your 810 has a tacho then all you need to do is carefully remove and cut to a size to suit your 'klick-klack' :) , route some wires from the signal to the tacho plug at the back of the tacho and power it up. There is a lot of electronics in behind the face of the tacho and I guess the signal amplification and processing (if any) happens in there.

Here is a video of the dash cluster wired up and running when I first reconnected everything. Sorry, no pic of final condition but I simply cut enough out to keep the tach alive.