Pod filter on LD28 ok?

Discuss (and cuss) the Nissan LD-series OHC Six diesel engine, popularly available in the US in 1981-83 Datsun/Nissan Maxima Sedans & Wagons.

Moderators: plenzen, glenlloyd, goglio704, Nissan_Ranger

asdex

Pod filter on LD28 ok?

Post by asdex »

Hi, my filter is not very good It's been home built a bit and I was wondering about fitting a pod filter with 65mm connector that will clamp directly to the inlet manifold intake.
Are these ok?
Should Ionly get the best K&N brand or is a Simota from BNT ok.
Is it too hot in the engine bay to take air from and should connect it using a long piece of tubing?
Thanks,
asdex
windsock

Post by windsock »

Hey asdex,

There is plenty of published material on these filters and there are plenty of opinions (as I guess others will come on to give theirs too). My opinion is do not run a K&N pod or any other lookalike. Not enough filtration and you'll end up with worn engine components. I see a few LD's on sale with K&N filters or cheap lookalikes and I avoid them or if cheap enough buy for parts only.

If you do not have a factory nissan filter box then look for a 3rd party filter like a Donaldson or similar paper filter.

Also, cold air is best so I would look at diverting the filter assembly to ensure cold outside air get in not warm/hot engine bay air. I realise in these vans there is not a lot of room to move things around but I guess where there's a will there's a way.

All the best,

Phil
Good roads lead to bad fishing.
asdex

Pod filter on LD28 ok?

Post by asdex »

Sounds good advise. I'll carry on with my existing filter and see if I can fix it up. Plenty of room under the bonnet.
Thanks
davehoos

Post by davehoos »

had a foam filter on a LD20T years ago.it was fine until i did a full rev run on a steep hill.te filer fell apart and took off the first section of blades in the turbo.

I use a donaldson as its easy to get or K&N[similar] panels as for some reason the paper filter becomes oil soaked without siggns of oil in the air intake.
WCJR31 Skyline.3.0 manual.wagon
R31 SKYLINE/Passage GT/PINTARA
LPG Ford Falcon 99-06 93 Disco
Local Shire Southern Zone Mechanic.