Starting LD28

Discuss (and cuss) the Nissan LD-series OHC Six diesel engine, popularly available in the US in 1981-83 Datsun/Nissan Maxima Sedans & Wagons.

Moderators: plenzen, glenlloyd, goglio704, Nissan_Ranger

asdex

Starting LD28

Post by asdex »

The new glow have improved the starting a lot.
I would still like to get the engine to start without too much throttle as when it starts it revs quite high and if I take my foot off the accelerator it stops.
Are there any adjustments so you can start the engine with no throttle or just a slight amount. Or, maybe as soon as it fires take my foot off the throttle straight away so it just idles.
Thanks.
windsock

Post by windsock »

Hi asdex,

Sorry tohear of the difficulty in starting. Normal start up should not require any go-fast peddle (or at least mine doesn't).

Were you successful in bidding on that workshop manual on trademe? (yep, i frequent the LD28 list on TM looking for local bits).

If so, in there will be a flow chart of problem solving. Follow up on some of these on the "Hard to start" list.

if you did not get the manual let me know and we can work through the list perhaps.

I'm no mechanic but the things I'd be checking now the glowing is better is the timing of the Injector Pump, injector condition and perhaps even engine compression.

Cheers,

Phil
Good roads lead to bad fishing.
asdex

Starting

Post by asdex »

Yes I did get that manual. Haven't received it yet. It's a service manual but hopefully will cover those things you suggest.
Will keep you posted.
Cheers
windsock

Post by windsock »

yes, it appeared to be the same as one I have (at least same cover).

You should be good to go if it is the same. Check also the following pages on this site.

FAQ

Errors in FSM

Index

All these pages have stuff complimentary to the service manual.

All the best.
Good roads lead to bad fishing.
goglio704

Post by goglio704 »

Has the injection pump drive belt been replaced or disturbed? Could it have jumped a few cogs or been mistimed during replacement? When the injection pump is out of time they are very hard to start and require a lot of throttle until they warm up. They also sound odd when they are out of time.

Some other possibilities are a restricted fuel supply or an air leak on the suction side of the injection pump.
Matt B.

83 Maxima Sedan, LD28, 5 speed, white, 130k miles. My original Maxima.
83 Maxima Sedan converted from gasser, LD28, 5 speed, 2 tone blue, 230k miles
82 Maxima Sedan, LD28, 3 speed auto, 2 tone Gray/Silver, 140k miles
81 810 Sedan, LD28, 3 speed auto, rust, rust, and more rust!

2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
asdex

Starting

Post by asdex »

Thanks, all good information I will follow up on.
I have also been told I may have the wrong glow plugs. They are 12v and take about 10-15 sec to heat. An autoelectrician said I should have got 10v plugs as after a night the battery is down to 12 volts then with a bit of voltage drop I may be getting around 10v at the plugs. The type I have in are Genesis GJ75NI which the diesel people recommended. Don't know the age of the motor but will looks into it.
Cheers,