How much vacuum should the vacuum pump suck.

Discuss (and cuss) the Nissan LD-series OHC Six diesel engine, popularly available in the US in 1981-83 Datsun/Nissan Maxima Sedans & Wagons.

Moderators: plenzen, glenlloyd, goglio704, Nissan_Ranger

windsock

Post by windsock »

asdex wrote:I have my vacuum gauge on and going now. It reads 6"Hg. I'm not sure how the chart for this works though. I see at 700 rpm it chart says 23.62"HG and at 5000rpm it shows 7.87"Hg.
I though the faster the vacuum pump would spin the higher the vacuum that would be created. I will test now by closing off thew various hoses to check for leaks before looking at another alternator.
Thanks

Link to chart.

http://nissandiesel.dyndns.org/viewtopic.php?p=780#780
OK, it still sounds like you have a problem somewhere. That chart is to set up the vacuum modulator. You may be running modulators. look at the diagram above the chart and see if it matches the system of pipes you are running. Check the modulator settings? maybe a faulty modulator?

I do not run any vacuum modulator and I don't run an auto trans. I have my brake booster only running off the vacuum pump/alternator. Therefore I am unfamiliar with the set up you have. Sorry I can't help any...

Cheers,

Phil
Good roads lead to bad fishing.