Injection pump

Discuss (and cuss) the Nissan LD-series OHC Six diesel engine, popularly available in the US in 1981-83 Datsun/Nissan Maxima Sedans & Wagons.

Moderators: plenzen, glenlloyd, goglio704, Nissan_Ranger

minimog

Injection pump

Post by minimog »

Hi all, this week I picked up another LD28. Woop Woop!! This engine appears to be a later model than the one I have fitted in my Unimog. Can anybody enlighten me as to what the additional parts on the IP are? On my current engine the IP is a basic VE type with no extras. On the new engine the IP has an additional assembly bolted to the top and another assembly on the base, which I think maybe some sort of cold start advance mechanism?
Any wisdom greatly received :)
Dave.
windsock

Post by windsock »

Hi Dave,

Got any pictures?

I have read on this site somewhere about the fitting of an aneroid device to compensate altitude in the fueling etc when a turbo is fitted or some such thing. Details of memory are elude me currently.

Well done on picking up another one. Always handy to have a spare motor or even bits off one for spares.

Cheers,

Phil
Good roads lead to bad fishing.
rlaggren

Post by rlaggren »

I believe one of the extra pieces on the IP is a diaphragm that adjusts fuel delivery for air pressure (altitude). Very useful when turbo-ing an engine since it gives you an easy way to adjust delivery to boost.

Rufus
82 Maxima wagon
minimog

Post by minimog »

Hurray!! I've got internet again :) As requested some photos. I think you'll agree that it is quite a rare pump. Please take note of the small black pipe that has been cut off the assembly that is on the top of the pump. What would be plumbed in here and where should it be connected to (inlet manifold?)

Overall shot

Lower assembly (cold start device?)

Shot of the top assembly. Note the black pipe and also the small pipe above the fuel return banjo blot. Where do they go/connect to?

Cheers, Dave.
rlaggren

Post by rlaggren »

Two WAGs. I'd vote for:

The "black pipe" is the ambient side of the aneroid diaphragm - ie. supposed to be "connected" to outside air.

The one pointing down is a drain or vent.

But as noted, just a couple of guesses. Looks like a wonderful beautiful big shine toy! <G>

Rufus
82 Maxima wagon
nogrip

Post by nogrip »

is the accelerator cam bent up???
ld28t in a 81 transit van
minimog

Post by minimog »

Yup, the accelerator thing got bent in transit :( , nothing a little tweek with a hammer won't sort :lol:
So the pipe on top goes to atmosphere? If a turbo is fitted could this pipe be used as a boost reference to increase fuelling?
rlaggren

Post by rlaggren »

Hit the nail. That's the "preferred" concept. Plumbing, safeties, sources, etc - TBD

Rufus
82 Maxima wagon