How do I adjust my IP for high altitude?

Discuss (and cuss) the Nissan LD-series OHC Six diesel engine, popularly available in the US in 1981-83 Datsun/Nissan Maxima Sedans & Wagons.

Moderators: plenzen, glenlloyd, goglio704, Nissan_Ranger

rlaggren

How do I adjust my IP for high altitude?

Post by rlaggren »

NewDieselHead wrote:What do you have available? I am new to the Diesel Maxima (8 month ownership). I have replaced my power steering rack and ball joints as well as the shocks and struts, rear springs and the oil and filter. New trans fluid and rear axle fluid (differential). New brakes all around. Have an auto trans to swap into it. Want to know what you have and if there is any way to adjust the diesel injection pump for the elevation of Colorado Springs (car cam from Alturas, California, just above Reno, Nevada). Thanks.
I believe the 83's had a diaphragm on the top of the IP that compensated for altitude. Earlier years it would have be manual adjustment.

Rufus
82 Maxima wagon
NewDieselHead

Post by NewDieselHead »

My IP looks the same as the one in the picture at the top of this thread. I have a pump (original owner stated he took off the car - it doesn't look the same). Not sure what year the one on my car is for. But low power, moderate to high smoke under excelleration and hard shifts. Although a shop test-drove the car and states that it is working fine, I don't agree with the power of the car. It seems to have less then my wifes Geo Metro 3 cyl manual. My car is the 3 speed auto with locking torq converter. Still get about 25 to 27 around town (Colorado Springs, Colorado) and about 30 on the highway here to Denver and back. SO not sure what I can do if anything for it? Thanks for any suggestions and help on the checking of timing for the injector pump and adjustments for altitude.
rlaggren

Post by rlaggren »

W/locking convertor and no overdrive, that's an 82.

Mileage sounds well in the ball park, good, even.

Maybe you're just expecting stuff the car wasn't made for - like acceleration! I tell people my car doesn't accelerate... It just gets up to speed. <g> Member here, 83_maxima, had a car in Denver; not sure if he's still there. If you're lucky, maybe arrange to meet and compare notes.

Rufus
82 Maxima wagon
240ZD

Post by 240ZD »

Strap a turbo on that hog, that'll fix all your altitude problems!
"Man, your engine is knocking really bad..."~
NewDieselHead

exhaust gas recirculation valve

Post by NewDieselHead »

I am not able to find anyone with the replacement pipe that the manual calls for when the vehicle is used at high elevation. It is a replacement pipe that fits into the housing that the EGR mounts against. I would like my car to run better, smoke less. Hope that someone has knowledge as to what/where this pipe is available (or at least can point out what it is supposed to look like so I may have one fabricated).
asavage
Site Admin

Post by asavage »

I don't think that changing the EGR Guide Tube is going to help with any of your symptoms. I have left mine out completely, put it back in, and there was little change in power or smoke. It it replaceable for altitude changes mainly to comply with emissions standards for NOx.

I'm not surprised that nobody has one; I doubt that many were sold even when the cars were relatively new!

Additionally, it's become nearly impossible to buy the gaskets around the EGR tube in the intake. I know, because I pulled mine to clean the intake years ago, and it was very difficult to buy the gaskets back then.

[later]
Ah, here's the gasket reference post
Regards,
Al S.

1982 Maxima diesel wagon, 2nd & 4th owner, 165k miles, rusty & burgundy/grey. Purchased 1996, SOLD 16Feb10
1983 Maxima diesel wagon, 199k miles, rusty, light yellow/light brown. SOLD 14Jul07
1981 720 SD22 (scrapped 04Sep07)
1983 Sentra CD17, 255k, bought 06Jul08, gave it away 22Jun10.
fyneyoungstunna

Post by fyneyoungstunna »

I know this is an old thread, but that looks to be the same as the egr gaskets from a 1990 300zx.
Ill paint my tail lights your favorite color since it what your see the most of on my car.
asavage
Site Admin

Post by asavage »

It looks like a lot of gaskets, but the size and hole spacing is unique to the LD28 w/EGR.
Regards,
Al S.

1982 Maxima diesel wagon, 2nd & 4th owner, 165k miles, rusty & burgundy/grey. Purchased 1996, SOLD 16Feb10
1983 Maxima diesel wagon, 199k miles, rusty, light yellow/light brown. SOLD 14Jul07
1981 720 SD22 (scrapped 04Sep07)
1983 Sentra CD17, 255k, bought 06Jul08, gave it away 22Jun10.