Timing Chain Too Loose?

Discuss (and cuss) the Nissan LD-series OHC Six diesel engine, popularly available in the US in 1981-83 Datsun/Nissan Maxima Sedans & Wagons.

Moderators: plenzen, glenlloyd, goglio704, Nissan_Ranger

jkubica

Timing Chain Too Loose?

Post by jkubica »

Greetings All
I'm a new member having just found the forum, but I've had my 1983 Maxima diesel wagon since 1996 - and love it.

Lately, I've noticed that the engine seems to have more noise and vibration. So I decided to check the valve adjustment and found most of them about 5 thousands (inches) too tight. While I had the valve cover off, I noticed the timing chain seemed kind of loose on the side away from the tensioner. I could press on it and move it about 1/2 inch.

Should I be able to move it like this? What is the test for deciding if the chain and or tensioner should be replaced? Source for parts?

All help & advice appreciated,
Joseph in Houston
diesel-man
Deceased

Post by diesel-man »

Timing chain is hydraulically tightened by oil pressure...unless it has 400K on it, you should be ok.
Where is vibration coming from?
Check bolts on alternator. Check harmonic balancer (front pulley).

Welcome to the forum!
jkubica

Post by jkubica »

Hi
Thanks for the response.

So perhaps my timing chain was just relaxed from the engine not running and not having oil pressure while I was rotating it for the valve adjustment?

I did have an H Balancer fail about two years ago - replaced. I'll take another look there.

Also had an alternator bolt viberate out - replaced

Also replaced motor mounts.

Viberation/noise seems strongest with the engine at idle and trans in drive with foot on the brake. Very smooth at speed with good power I suspected something like the exhaust touching the frame but haven't been able to find anything.

Ideas?

Highest Regards,
Joseph
1983 Maxima Diesel Wagon
diesel-man
Deceased

Post by diesel-man »

If it is smooth in neutral, then you will either have to speed it up or slow it down. Not to be rude...but if vibration is offensive...you should get something that burns gasoline.

Timing chain remains tight (enough) unless you move the crankshaft. Don't look for a problem that isn't a problem. I've never had a Maxi diesel yet that gave timing chain trouble.

Maxi diesels are like having your third child...when they fall you guage how bad they are hurt by how much they cry. First child you would be having a kaniption.

Just drive and enjoy!!
jkubica

Post by jkubica »

Thank You!
1983 Maxima Diesel Wagon