Another IP question sorry

Discuss (and cuss) the Nissan LD-series OHC Six diesel engine, popularly available in the US in 1981-83 Datsun/Nissan Maxima Sedans & Wagons.

Moderators: plenzen, glenlloyd, goglio704, Nissan_Ranger

JasperG

Another IP question sorry

Post by JasperG »

Ok, here is what is going on with my LD28. Im going to start at the beginning. I blew a seal under one of my injectors. It was knocking and would barely run. I had to drive it that way for sometime. So I replaced all the seals and put it together. it knocked terribly still. Ended up pulling the motor apart trying to find it. Installed a new head gasket, intake/exhaust, examined all moving parts, etc. I just "rebuilt" it so its all still fresh. Worth noting I could only get the one notch gasket and I had a gasket w/o a notch prior. But according to the height of the pistons this is the right one anyway. It did slightly change the timing, at the cam gear, but only minutely (probably due to the thinner gasket). Anyway, it turned out to be a bad injector nozzle that had burnt. Good lesson, but a tough one. So I got new nozzles (rockauto 9.41 each) and had them rebuilt at a reputable diesel injector shop. I put it together and it ran better but not lots of diesel knock and no idle. Pulled the cover and the IP was off (must have been off TDC when I pulled the head). So I set that correctly figuring it would be fixed. Well it isnt. Now it runs and seems to have good power, but it doesnt want to idle and has lots of black/brown smoke. If I rev it a bit it seems to clear up but if I let off the throttle it stalls. I have triple checked the timing marks and Im confident they are right. (20 cogs with the B mark and the A/B slot). Ive played with the 2 and 3 slots on the cam gear but its pretty much the same either way. I turned up the idle (alot) and if I back off the throttle slowly it idles now, but still smoking and if I pop the throttle back it stalls. Ive cracked the lines and she is running on all six. Actually runs great at RPM and stops smoking as much, responds very well but lots of brown smoke. Thanks for any ideas. Sorry it is so long winded. Gordon.
JasperG

Post by JasperG »

Ok played with it again tonight. I turned up the "full load adjusting screw" a few turns and was able to back off the idle back to normal. Seems to be running better but the smoke may have gotten worse. If I turn it back down it starts hunting at idle, up and down almost to stall. I know I shouldnt be playing with that adjustment but Im out of ideas. I also tried moving the IP a bit both ways but it gets hard to start and runs worse.
Last edited by JasperG 12 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
rlaggren

Post by rlaggren »

Sorry to hear you problems. It's a pisser when you find the trouble was actcually way back down the trail... Can't really help w/detail, not that experienced messing with these engines; perhaps somebody with more experience will chime in.

FWIW, to me it sounds like some combination of timing - injection timing, valve timing and/or IP belt timing. From the number of posts about IP belt timing there must be plenty of room for error there, but the marks can only go together in a few ways - so you _should_ be able to verify that finally. Ditto the valve timing, although I don't recall many posts on that subject. That leaves the injection timing (moving the IP) and _that_, from what I've read here is a full grown Problem because it's very tedious (physcially) to set it to spec, even with all the right tooling; possibly somebody with years of experience with diesels could set it by ear, but not most people.

The other possibility is that the compression is changed enough to make trouble on it's own. Since it's easier to do a compression check (with the right tools) you might give that a try and see what you're actually dealing with. Since it does run, probably you won't find it too far off, but it's something doable that might add mo/betta info - and maybe a clue that might point the right way.

All that assumes that the linkages around the IP are all assembled right and such.

Best luck. Rufus
82 Maxima wagon
JasperG

Post by JasperG »

Hey Thanks. I am confident I have the engine timing and the belt in the right place. I set the timing with my dial gauge, man what a pain, but it started harder. I moved it back to the marks and it is better. Im thinking my IP is hurting, it does leak a bit, or perhaps the rebuilt injectors? Pop pressure? I am going to try and get a tach and time and see what it is really doing and go from there. Pretty strange but its running pretty good now, still significant smoke though. I had the motor all apart and its only got about 100 miles on it since I rebuilt it so I dont think the compression is bad...(it ran great before this incident began, no significant smoke either). I appreciate any advice. Gordo
rlaggren

Post by rlaggren »

> compression not bad...

No, just different - maybe higher - and hence, I believe, the effective timing will be different also. Injection timing, iow the "ignition" timing in a diesel, has lots of variables that can affect it. Tubing length, IP age, pop pressure, fuel quality, etc. With the right equipment pop pressure and even pattern are not that hard to test; though with pattern, as I understand it, experience plays a big part in correct evaluation. I think you said you had the injectors rebuilt and usually they test them after and give you a written, sometimes graphical, report on the results as part of the job; so proably your injectors are fine.

Glad to here is runs adequetly.

Rufus
82 Maxima wagon
JasperG

Post by JasperG »

Thanks again. Yeah I rebuilt the injectors so I wouldnt think they would be the cause but perhaps I guess. I didnt get any print out just some nice clean injectors with all new nozzles that I provided.
Im trying to get my hands on a TNT or something similar before I pull the IP out to get it tested. With it blowing brown/black smoke but running okay (except a bit of dieseling on acceleration) I really think it is getting gas. I will try to keep this posted. Thanks again. Gordo
JasperG

Post by JasperG »

Well I got lucky and picked up a complete tach and time 33000 for 50 bucks shipped off craigslist. Should be here Friday so I should know more soon. Thanks gordo
asavage
Site Admin

Post by asavage »

Boy, you sure got a good deal on that 33000! I paid four times that for mine.
Regards,
Al S.

1982 Maxima diesel wagon, 2nd & 4th owner, 165k miles, rusty & burgundy/grey. Purchased 1996, SOLD 16Feb10
1983 Maxima diesel wagon, 199k miles, rusty, light yellow/light brown. SOLD 14Jul07
1981 720 SD22 (scrapped 04Sep07)
1983 Sentra CD17, 255k, bought 06Jul08, gave it away 22Jun10.
JasperG

Post by JasperG »

Thanks Al, I was watching a couple on ebay but both were missing leads of some sort. They still got over 75 bucks though! Thanks
JasperG

Q

Post by JasperG »

Tach and time saved the day! At the B mark on the IP pulley I was way advanced. Moved to the A mark and was at 18BDTC. Moved to the blank mark and bingo. 2.5BDTC. Turned the IP a bit and 5BTDC. Starts without any pedal now. Tiny bit of white smoke when reving it no load, but what a difference. Runs great!