My 85-Nissan Laurel LD28 Turbo from Norway

Discuss (and cuss) the Nissan LD-series OHC Six diesel engine, popularly available in the US in 1981-83 Datsun/Nissan Maxima Sedans & Wagons.

Moderators: plenzen, glenlloyd, goglio704, Nissan_Ranger

minimog

Post by minimog »

That looks cool 8) Don't quite understand what is going on in the centre though. Whats with the exhaust exit, another turbo? If not, surely some of the exhaust gasses will bypass the turbos already fitted.
davehoos

Post by davehoos »

thats called an external waistgate.

this is an old idea used by most high performance settups.
It was originally used as the turbo of old was large slow to respond beasties that needed lots of ehauste heat to get up to speed.

most modern turbo have intergrated wastegate that will release over heater exhauste gasses.
WCJR31 Skyline.3.0 manual.wagon
R31 SKYLINE/Passage GT/PINTARA
LPG Ford Falcon 99-06 93 Disco
Local Shire Southern Zone Mechanic.
buddabeast

Post by buddabeast »

Hi Overrated.

I was wondering what exhuast manifold you used for your C32?
Or is it simply the original manifold but modified?
Thanks.
overrated

Post by overrated »

buddabeast wrote:Hi Overrated.

I was wondering what exhuast manifold you used for your C32?
Or is it simply the original manifold but modified?
Thanks.
It's the original. Just mounted a custom tube from the flange on the original manifold. :)
overrated

Post by overrated »

Some pictures for the people :)

Engine is free from the parts car.

Exhaust flange I won on a auction on ebay. paid 70 USD for it :)

Looking forward to begin with it :)
overrated

Post by overrated »

plenzen

Post by plenzen »

Cool !

I note in Photo #3 that you have armed guard sitting beside motor.
Is the LD28 that treasured in Norway?
If it is I suggest you give him a Mag for his rifle.

You even shot the video in 720p and I can actually smell the smoke :!: :lol: :wink:
Retired Pauly
Problem with being retired is that you never get a day off.
1987 D21-J SD25 KC
KJLGD21FN
overrated

Post by overrated »

plenzen wrote:Cool !

I note in Photo #3 that you have armed guard sitting beside motor.
Is the LD28 that treasured in Norway?
If it is I suggest you give him a Mag for his rifle.

You even shot the video in 720p and I can actually smell the smoke :!: :lol: :wink:
In Norway we have 1 year in the millitary duty. Law protected so all of the boys have to be in the millitary for one year during their youth.

So I am in it now and serve as a mechanic on millitary vechiles.

Yeah, he should have a mag :p

Caught the video with a Sony Ericsson Xperia Arc :)
bogs777

Post by bogs777 »

that was a good thread. im a proud owner of a 1984 c32 nissan laurel with LD 28 engine. it was inherited by my wife from her late dad. fully battered but managed to restore it piece by piece. done with the body works but still few leaks to deal with. what really bothers me is the dash board. it very hard to source one here in the philippines since its very rare car here. im planning to put a diff dashboard from sentra or cefiro if no option is out there.

are you rebuilding the c31? if not id like to get some info if your breaking the car id like to source some parts. thanks
Tomslide50

Post by Tomslide50 »

Most of all LD28 in in Norway that are turboconverted are running everything from 1bar up to 2bar boost. They handle it :)
Just for clarification- do you mean 2 bar absolute, or 2 bar above atmosphere?

Also, that flange is for a gasoline head if I'm not mistaken. Unless your heads are different over there, the diesel ports are rectangular.
overrated

Post by overrated »

Tomslide50 wrote:
Most of all LD28 in in Norway that are turboconverted are running everything from 1bar up to 2bar boost. They handle it :)
Just for clarification- do you mean 2 bar absolute, or 2 bar above atmosphere?

Also, that flange is for a gasoline head if I'm not mistaken. Unless your heads are different over there, the diesel ports are rectangular.
To avoid any misunderstanding. 2 bar on the gauge. 3 bar athmos i think?

That's for a gasoline head yes. Some modifications on that flange and it will fit fine :D
Tomslide50

Post by Tomslide50 »

Wow. I see so much kicked around how a bar is too much for these motors. Certainly the fueling and consequently egt is the limit, but seeing that kind of charge pressure is certainly interesting. Do you possibly have links to any other builds or info from other projects. I have looked but cannot find. Any compression lowering necessary for that kind of boost? Do you have any info on porting or fueling modifications? Got any power numbers or dyno graphs? Sorry to ask for so much but I have searched extensively and have not found any serious builds or high boost examples and am sure that everyone here would be supremely interested. Yours is a first around here. Thanks and keep it up!
turboLD

Post by turboLD »

I don't see a problem with high boost if the injectors are big enough and egt keeps on low range. However I'm interested of the numbers with that such a small turbo.

Here in Finland the LD's are basically handled as crap and folks are more into merc diesels with gigantic HP...everything people know about turboed LD's are the other side: mildly turboed LD in a Nis or some other chassis for cheap kilometres. The other side: A Volvo 240 E/T drag car with an insanely pressured LD (remembering the best has been around 11sec and 170-180 of speed?? Holset HX40 or bigger for sure.) So it's hard to get facts of LD's cause the regular owners arent intrested about the performance as they say "don't know, around 100?" and the prof owner's car stats are classified.

So the boost above 2 bars ain't killing the engine IMO if everything's in balance. I think the drag Volvo is more like 3 than 2 bars - and with a bit bigger charger... :wink:
overrated

Post by overrated »

Tomslide50 wrote:Wow. I see so much kicked around how a bar is too much for these motors. Certainly the fueling and consequently egt is the limit, but seeing that kind of charge pressure is certainly interesting. Do you possibly have links to any other builds or info from other projects. I have looked but cannot find. Any compression lowering necessary for that kind of boost? Do you have any info on porting or fueling modifications? Got any power numbers or dyno graphs? Sorry to ask for so much but I have searched extensively and have not found any serious builds or high boost examples and am sure that everyone here would be supremely interested. Yours is a first around here. Thanks and keep it up!
In norway almost every turboconverted LD28 charge over 1 bar. But the crankshaft dont handle more than 2 bar.

Havent found other projects online about these in norway either. Not much treads about them.. sadly.
I have not lowered the compression and I have not heard about somebody who have done it either. On this new engine I'm going to find out if it's worth porting the head, and rebuild the nozzles/fuel pump.

Looking forward to pull horsepower out of this thing:) Stay tuned!
overrated

Post by overrated »

turboLD wrote:I don't see a problem with high boost if the injectors are big enough and egt keeps on low range. However I'm interested of the numbers with that such a small turbo.

Here in Finland the LD's are basically handled as crap and folks are more into merc diesels with gigantic HP...everything people know about turboed LD's are the other side: mildly turboed LD in a Nis or some other chassis for cheap kilometres. The other side: A Volvo 240 E/T drag car with an insanely pressured LD (remembering the best has been around 11sec and 170-180 of speed?? Holset HX40 or bigger for sure.) So it's hard to get facts of LD's cause the regular owners arent intrested about the performance as they say "don't know, around 100?" and the prof owner's car stats are classified.

So the boost above 2 bars ain't killing the engine IMO if everything's in balance. I think the drag Volvo is more like 3 than 2 bars - and with a bit bigger charger... :wink:
Thinking of taking a pull in the dyno just to see what the engine pulls out now before the twin turbo project. I'm suprised my self how well it works with the small turbo. Have almost full power from 2000 rpm and up. Crappy wintercar. Useless without some weight over the rear axle.

Have seen the BSR mercedes. Impressing work :) But now that everybody has seen that, everybody wants to build that kind of thing to. Fun to try something else than mercedes :)

Do you have pictures or possibly know of a movie of that volvo? Sounds interesting!! :D