Size Issues: I think I've got a short dipstick! haha

Discuss (and cuss) the Nissan LD-series OHC Six diesel engine, popularly available in the US in 1981-83 Datsun/Nissan Maxima Sedans & Wagons.

Moderators: plenzen, glenlloyd, goglio704, Nissan_Ranger

LD'd VC

Size Issues: I think I've got a short dipstick! haha

Post by LD'd VC »

I checked my oil today as usual but noticed a home made etching on the dipstick that i have never noticed till now. This scratch looks like a marking that somebody has added and it is above the factory H marking. This leads me to believe that the dipstick is from a different engine and someone has crudley calibrated the donor stick.

Can someone please do me a favour by checking thier dipstick for the serial number S8200 or measure the distance between the rubber stop at the top and the high/low marks.
82 VC Commodore Wagon
minimog

Post by minimog »

I've just had a look at the dipsticks on the three engines I've got and was shocked to find they're all different :shock: The following measurement are taken from where the base of the "handle", joined to the flexy steel strip with rivets, to the H line. Also included are the are the part numbers stamped on the end of the sticks.

Late front sump engine, Pt. No. V5701 12"
Rear sump engine, Pt. No. V0701 8 3/8"
Front sump engine, Pt. no. S8200 11 3/4"

Would be interesting to see what other folks dipstick lengths/ Pt. No's are
Hope this helps, Dave.
dn29626

Post by dn29626 »

I suggest you park the vehicle in a level area. Drain the oil out (or do this at the next oil change). Measure for the correct amount of oil and pour it in. Check the dip stick to verify oil level to stick. Correct the markings of the dip stick if needed.
82 King Cab 2wd (nice)
82 Reg Cab (body damage)
Anderson , SC
Since Fall 2009