LD28 fuel delivery issues

Discuss (and cuss) the Nissan LD-series OHC Six diesel engine, popularly available in the US in 1981-83 Datsun/Nissan Maxima Sedans & Wagons.

Moderators: plenzen, glenlloyd, goglio704, Nissan_Ranger

JasperG

LD28 fuel delivery issues

Post by JasperG »

Hey Gang back again. I am having trouble with my engine again. Pretty sure its fuel delivery. I recently rebuilt and replaced my injectors, got a tach and time and set my timing and my truck (land rover) was running great. I took it offroad two weekends ago and it did great, until I went up a steep incline and then back down...it immediately started smoking white smoke, wouldnt idle and basically ran like it was not getting fuel. I dont see any restrictions in the fuel line and the return line is pushing diesel. I pulled two lines, one was spitting diesel pretty good, the other not as much but still some fuel coming out. Hoping I didnt do anything to hurt my IP. It usually starts right up with no gas pedal. Now it takes forever to start and you really gotta pump that gas. Any pointers in the right direction would be appreciated. I have a friend coming over on Thur to help me out (turn the truck over etc, hes no expert). Oh and one more thing. It had been missing a tiny bit at start up but it cleared right up once it ran a few seconds...

Thanks Gordo
exmod110

Post by exmod110 »

Double check the timing belt has not jumped a tooth.
85 Landrover 110 300tdi
02 Mazda protege5
JasperG

Post by JasperG »

exmod110 wrote:Double check the timing belt has not jumped a tooth.
I was thinking that. I broke out my tach and time yesterday to check it but I cant keep the thing running unless I stay on the gas...I will get a buddy over to help check that, or pull the pulley/cover/etc and check it...keep em coming.
rlaggren

Post by rlaggren »

> white smoke...

Coolant? What was the lead-in to the problem? Get hot any?

Rufus
82 Maxima wagon
plenzen

Post by plenzen »

check the pick up in the fuel tank that something did not fall off or get clogged over the screen or what ever may be in the tank.
Retired Pauly
Problem with being retired is that you never get a day off.
1987 D21-J SD25 KC
KJLGD21FN
JasperG

Post by JasperG »

ok I figured it out.Tach and Time wouldnt read the timing so I knew it was WAY off as it goes to 50 degrees only. So I pulled the cover and the belt jumped four teeth. As it turns out inside the housing where the IP belt is was full of hard packed mud. When I went up or down the hill some of that hard packed mud must have went between the belt and the gears causing the belt to slip over the pulley. I put it back to 20 cogs and it is running great. The belt was new and a tad loose so it must have stretched a bit. Since I had help, I pushed up hard on the tensioner while my buddy tightened the allen bolts down. It seems to be a bit tighter now so hopefully that will help matters. Thanks for the advice. Gordo