LD28 - Oil and Water sources for a turbo

Discuss (and cuss) the Nissan LD-series OHC Six diesel engine, popularly available in the US in 1981-83 Datsun/Nissan Maxima Sedans & Wagons.

Moderators: plenzen, glenlloyd, goglio704, Nissan_Ranger

buddabeast

LD28 - Oil and Water sources for a turbo

Post by buddabeast »

Hi guys, I'm unsure on the best place to get the oil for my turbo is.
I have the Japanese spec LD28 with the oil filter mounted directly on the block, so I can't actually see my oil cooler. I would guess the oil cooler comes after the filter? So if I could locate the cooler then i could tee off that maybe. Or I see oil being supplied to the alternator on the other side coming just below the exhaust manifold maybe that's a good place? The fuel injection pump must use oil too is that another place to tee into?

As for water I could tee into where it feeds the oil cooler I suppose?

Thanks.
davehoos

Post by davehoos »

Injector pump doesnt use oil for lubrication.
it has a rubber belt drive and internal fuel pump/cooling/lubrication.

japanese engines often short cut on items like oil cooler/heaters.
most have oil filter dirrect to the block.to fit aftermarket cooler you need to fit a sandwich adaptor.this is the best oil supply for a turbo.
allmost any L series adaptor or Z series or KA can be fitted as the block share same family design.a oil bypass valve it fitted into the block if the cooler is not fitted.

also a small filter bypass return drilling is used on some engines.

water normally is used from the thermostat heater outlet.and returns on the lower radiator hose fitting.it possible if this is too hot to ues the colder water from the rear of the block.most Lser have a threaded hole on each side.

you can also use the bottom of radiator or surgetank to return coolant.

turbo diesel has a higher oil pressure relif valve setting.
WCJR31 Skyline.3.0 manual.wagon
R31 SKYLINE/Passage GT/PINTARA
LPG Ford Falcon 99-06 93 Disco
Local Shire Southern Zone Mechanic.
buddabeast

Post by buddabeast »

Ah great idea. I'll get a sandwich adapter and feed the turbo with it - might add a cooler at a later stage.