IP not pumping -> Now working! But other issues.

Discuss (and cuss) the Nissan LD-series OHC Six diesel engine, popularly available in the US in 1981-83 Datsun/Nissan Maxima Sedans & Wagons.

Moderators: plenzen, glenlloyd, goglio704, Nissan_Ranger

buddabeast

IP not pumping -> Now working! But other issues.

Post by buddabeast »

Hi guys,

I have recently installed another LD28 into my laurel.
I'm up to the fuelling stage - which once it has it, it should start..
But when I crack one, two or all the injectors the diesel doesnt come through.
I have the diesel coming from the tank through the filter and up to the IP. I took the fuel line to the IP off and got a siphon going to it. But the IP doesnt use it. So next time I'm up home I will take off timing cover and see if the belts moving with the cranking. But is there any other clues as to what might be missing? Here's coupla photos.

free image hosting

picture sharing

Here is IP from original engine.

picture sharing
Last edited by buddabeast 11 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Dslsmoke

Re: IP not pumping

Post by Dslsmoke »

buddabeast wrote:Hi guys,

.......... But is there any other clues as to what might be missing? .
Have you checked the fuel shut off solenoid? :shock:
Make sure there is power to it and it opens up to let diesel go into pump,

Hope this helps you....... :D
buddabeast

Post by buddabeast »

Thanks Dslsmoke, I got the engine going now - I had a play with the solenoid and it seemed to work fine, but after I played with it the engine soon after came into life. So not sure. But it starts!!
Now that I have it going there is 2 things a bit dodgy. There is a lot of black smoke when accelerating from idle. That might be bad injectors? Or too much fuel?
Another thing is there is some vapour coming from that PCV valve off rocket cover. Not as much as my old engine but still quite a bit - which seems to me like blow-by from the cylinder(s). That problem was the main reason I bought another LD28. So is it quite common for these engines to have some blow-by?
I want to turbo the thing.

Thanks, Heath
Nissan_Ranger

Post by Nissan_Ranger »

Black smoke is always caused by over-injection of fuel for the amount of air that has been taken in. It can be caused by air restriction (as in a dirty filter or partially blocked air hose) and it can be caused by incorrect adjustment of the 'smoke-point' (Maximum fuel injection limitation) setting on the pump. Sometimes folks adjust the smoke-point setting towards more injection because it does increase power somewhat at the cost of black smoke and poor fuel mileage. That black smoke is also the leading cause of damage to the rings due to wear (Solid black particulate is extremely abrasive) and seizing of the rings in the grooves.

My current engine has very little blow-by. The one it replaced had so much blowby, people could see the steam coming out of the draught tube after a long drive... The rings in that old engine had been seized by excessive carbon deposits from over-fueling.

N_R
The old 'six gun' was as popular as the cell phone in its time and just as annoying when it went off in the Theater.
diesel doer

ld 28 black smoke

Post by diesel doer »

Have to agree with Nissan Ranger about overfueling, but you did not mention mileage, if high mileage, the injectors may be injecting in a solid steam instead of misting, this can also create black smoke and poor mileage. Saw this on an engine the owner had ran home-made bio fuel from engine oil and canola oil. The injectors were just badly plugged and required a good clean and reset. I've turbo'd my old ld28 with good results, less smoke and more power on less fuel used.