82 910, steam washed the bottom of the car and no start

Discuss (and cuss) the Nissan LD-series OHC Six diesel engine, popularly available in the US in 1981-83 Datsun/Nissan Maxima Sedans & Wagons.

Moderators: plenzen, glenlloyd, goglio704, Nissan_Ranger

DMS

82 910, steam washed the bottom of the car and no start

Post by DMS »

I steam cleaned the bottom of my diesel wagon yesterday. After I got the car back on the ground it would crank and not start.
The fuel gauge read low so I added 2 gal of fuel and double checked the filter/primer pump and I have fuel.
I pulled the valve cover off and nothing unusual there(it turns over too).
I cracked #1 injector line and turned it over and I have fuel at the injectors.
I double checked the glow plug system and it seems to be working as well.
I have power at the fuel solenoid.

Im not the expert on diesel stuff, but Im guessing steam cleaning the bottom must have somehow messed with the fuel inside the fuel lines under the car. I cant really imagine how, but I fear I may have damaged my IP or something else somehow as there is no reason why the engine should not run with the basic tools and understanding I have.

I cannot find an inspection hole for the IP belt, but I would like to check that as well.

Anyone have an idea why it drove up to the lift and then would not run after being steam cleaned underneath only?
Ray
DMS

Post by DMS »

Nevermind...

It seems the glow plug rail was getting me power, but not enough contact to get the plugs hot. I replaced 4 of the plugs and cleaned the rail and it started right up.

Al gave me a new rail made of copper for the car... I gotta find that and put it on the car.
Ray
asavage
Site Admin

Post by asavage »

The OEM aluminum GP bus is known for corrosion problems. That copper replacement is nice :)
Regards,
Al S.

1982 Maxima diesel wagon, 2nd & 4th owner, 165k miles, rusty & burgundy/grey. Purchased 1996, SOLD 16Feb10
1983 Maxima diesel wagon, 199k miles, rusty, light yellow/light brown. SOLD 14Jul07
1981 720 SD22 (scrapped 04Sep07)
1983 Sentra CD17, 255k, bought 06Jul08, gave it away 22Jun10.
DMS

Post by DMS »

It appears my days of running the LD may be numbered.
I need to do a compression test, but during cranking I have a cylinder thats obviously not up to par with the rest. Ive done the valve adjust just to be sure as well.

Since its so hard to get parts like gaskets and tools to time the pump I may just give up and put a gasser in the car sadly.

It has a lope at idle that I assume is a low pressure cylinder as well. I wont be offing the engine or steeling the crank. Ill probably put it in the garage on a stand and wait until I gather parts to go back to diesel or save the whole engine for my 240Z. I was hoping to turbo charge it too.

Oh well.

Its probably something easy like a burnt valve or rings too, but without a head gasket Im kinda stuck for now.
Ray
asavage
Site Admin

Post by asavage »

Head gaskets for the LD28 can still be had, just not in the US.

I have not heard of anyone having a burnt valve on any of the Nissan diesels. I'm not saying it doesn't happen, but it would have to be rare.

What you describe does sound like one hole is low, yes.
Regards,
Al S.

1982 Maxima diesel wagon, 2nd & 4th owner, 165k miles, rusty & burgundy/grey. Purchased 1996, SOLD 16Feb10
1983 Maxima diesel wagon, 199k miles, rusty, light yellow/light brown. SOLD 14Jul07
1981 720 SD22 (scrapped 04Sep07)
1983 Sentra CD17, 255k, bought 06Jul08, gave it away 22Jun10.
bogs777

Post by bogs777 »

does anyone have a blue print or diagram of the copper bus?
C32 Laurel, LD28, Black/White, 330k

http://www.gofundme.com/7artao