New to everything but Nisssan.

Discuss (and cuss) the Nissan LD-series OHC Six diesel engine, popularly available in the US in 1981-83 Datsun/Nissan Maxima Sedans & Wagons.

Moderators: plenzen, glenlloyd, goglio704, Nissan_Ranger

fyneyoungstunna

New to everything but Nisssan.

Post by fyneyoungstunna »

So, by luck i stumbled upon this forum like a mythical unicorn. I have been checking into the RD nissan engines for a while, but didnt know about the LD engines. I am planning to do the fated/fabled 280zxdt.

Now I know NOTHING about diesel engines except that they use glow plugs.
I have read that the LD's tend to blow a lot of black smoke and are pretty loud.
I am hoping you guys can help fill my cup. I was curious about improvements that can be done to the LD to make it a better engine, or improve performance.

maybe boost hp some. I am definitley curious about adding turbo and the ins and outs of the stuff that goes with it, So all the links and help that you can provide would be awesome!!

I know solid motor mounts on a petrol engine help with performance and stuff. But I imagine that on a diesel engine it would vibrate your teeth out?

Oh,
Im Greg and glad to be a member finally!!
Ill paint my tail lights your favorite color since it what your see the most of on my car.
Duaneclark

LD 28 in Colorado

Post by Duaneclark »

They have "adequate" power at this altitude. I've noticed that a good running LD28 doesn't smoke at cruising speed, but does when accelerated. At my altitude of 7000 ft. Probably would need a turbo to do well at 5000-7000 feet, but they were never equipped so. For your interest, there are some neat U-Tube video's about these. Duaneclark
Duane
fyneyoungstunna

Post by fyneyoungstunna »

Yeah, I was curious about diesel at alititude. Also what the effect would be since its going to be in a lighter car. Ive been piecing info together on the swap but its pretty sparce. So far all I know is you have to port-match the 280zx turbo manifold and redrill some bolt holes to use it. I might have my someone make a custom turbo mani for me from the stock LD manifold.

I learning or I should say trying to learn about rebuilding Diesel engines. because I kinda want to rebuild on to say I have, and to have the knowledge.

So how do people squeeze HP out of an NA diesel ? I read that it is different then a petrol engine where you build the internals, port it, get some head work, and bore it over. I also hear that a turbo on a diesel is a whole different beast as well?

Info please!!
Ill paint my tail lights your favorite color since it what your see the most of on my car.