Turbo then Blown Gearbox shortly after..

Discuss (and cuss) the Nissan LD-series OHC Six diesel engine, popularly available in the US in 1981-83 Datsun/Nissan Maxima Sedans & Wagons.

Moderators: plenzen, glenlloyd, goglio704, Nissan_Ranger

buddabeast

Turbo then Blown Gearbox shortly after..

Post by buddabeast »

Hi Everyone,

Today I finally finished with my turbo setup on my LD28 Laurel.
Got the boost gauge hooked up and looked to max out at 10psi.
Second drive I took it on I was in 5th at 10psi at 120kph then 'boom' the gearbox blew something. Looking underneath the gearbox has cracked what looks like all the way around 360 deg and leaking fluid. Crack is basically halfway -between bellhousing and tail.. The gear stick started shaking like hell when it went and the gear knob flew off. I could still drive it home very slowly in 2nd gear but sounded very rough inside. It was hard to get the gears too.

That gearbox had been letting some slightly smelly smoke from out of the gear stick come into the cabin for quite some time especially when at high speed. I thought maybe it needed an oil change. Also I have replaced the LD28 in my Laurel and when we did so I only bolted about half the bolts back between the engine and gearbox so maybe its alignment went out with vibrations.. But I thought if the engines crank+clutch slid into the gearbox spline it must have been installed right.

So I am wondering if it's more likely the gearbox was getting worn or if it simply cannot handle the extra power.. I don't won't to buy another for it to do the same thing. And does anyone know what gearbox type the 85 Laurel's have? I have heard of long and short gearboxes..

Thanks!
asavage
Site Admin

Post by asavage »

Image Image

The FS5W71b is not a terribly robust transmission. The front bearings (input, countershaft) are barely adequate for light-duty use. Nissan upsized one of them in about 1986, but you really need to stay on top of changing the lubricant in them.
Regards,
Al S.

1982 Maxima diesel wagon, 2nd & 4th owner, 165k miles, rusty & burgundy/grey. Purchased 1996, SOLD 16Feb10
1983 Maxima diesel wagon, 199k miles, rusty, light yellow/light brown. SOLD 14Jul07
1981 720 SD22 (scrapped 04Sep07)
1983 Sentra CD17, 255k, bought 06Jul08, gave it away 22Jun10.