New user, new to diesel. Is the LD28 w/auto slow?

Discuss (and cuss) the Nissan LD-series OHC Six diesel engine, popularly available in the US in 1981-83 Datsun/Nissan Maxima Sedans & Wagons.

Moderators: plenzen, glenlloyd, goglio704, Nissan_Ranger

Aztlan

New user, new to diesel. Is the LD28 w/auto slow?

Post by Aztlan »

Hi, recently I saw an ad for a 1983 Nissan Maxima sedan Diesel w/automatic transmission and was wondering if it is a good buy?
In my young life, I have mostly driven Hondas. I moved overseas and couldn't bring my 1988 Honda Prelude with me so I bought a 1986 Mitsubishi Lancer.
So long story short...

I've read online that the LD28 paired with the automatic transmission is slow. Does anyone know a correct 0-60 for the LD28 with the automatic? Where I moved to there aren't many highways if any at all. Most of my driving is in the city from 40kmh to 60kmh with many traffic jams. Is a LD28 powered Maxima good for city driving and does it have good acceleration up to 40mph?

Thanks I have enjoyed this forum a lot. I have never driven a diesel before. :D
Duaneclark

slow ld28 with automatic

Post by Duaneclark »

I've had a question in the forum earlier about a "slow" one, but this isn't typical, that one had a problem. I have a 83 automatic wagon, and at our altitude of 6000 ft, the acceleration is good. Going up a hill it's kind of slow. I towed a U-haul trailer loaded with an engine and transmission from Georgia to Colorado and was pleased with the performance. I don't know what the official figures are for 0-60, maybe on a nice day I'll test it.
Duane
asavage
Site Admin

Post by asavage »

My '82 Wagon (w/o overdrive) would flat leave my '75 MB 300D in the dust, but that's not really saying much.

If you're willing to let it smoke a bit (or get the IP rebuilt) they are reasonably quick off the line and very smooth and nice up in the 60-85 MPH range (though the factory cruise control will not set above 76 MPH -- it's stated in the Owners Manual -- annoyingly).

The brakes are not powerful, esp. on the Wagons which still have drums in the back. The Sedans have disks all 'round, but the fronts on both are not terribly large -- shared with the 200SX, IIRC.

The engine is a jewel. The IP drive belt much be changed every 60k miles, or it will leave you stranded somewhere. It's cheap to replace, but a bit more work than you'd think. It's a very smooth diesel for a diesel of that vintage.
Last edited by asavage 10 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Regards,
Al S.

1982 Maxima diesel wagon, 2nd & 4th owner, 165k miles, rusty & burgundy/grey. Purchased 1996, SOLD 16Feb10
1983 Maxima diesel wagon, 199k miles, rusty, light yellow/light brown. SOLD 14Jul07
1981 720 SD22 (scrapped 04Sep07)
1983 Sentra CD17, 255k, bought 06Jul08, gave it away 22Jun10.
Duaneclark

IP drive belt

Post by Duaneclark »

I know that Al is correct about replacing the belt. The various cars that I've purchased, when you ask the seller about the last belt replacement, they all say, DUH, and don't have a clue. I think most of these have the factory belt at 180 plus thousand miles. I have belts to replace in my things to do list.
Duane
asavage
Site Admin

Post by asavage »

I was the 2nd owner of my 1982 Wagon and the IP belt stripped at 88k miles -- I bought it with 86k. Fortunately, it happened while parked in front of my house.

I've seen two in JYs with stripped belts -- and, one would have to suspect, burned-out starters, from trying to start it.

I think a lot of them ended up in JYs due to failed IP belts. Such a shame.
Regards,
Al S.

1982 Maxima diesel wagon, 2nd & 4th owner, 165k miles, rusty & burgundy/grey. Purchased 1996, SOLD 16Feb10
1983 Maxima diesel wagon, 199k miles, rusty, light yellow/light brown. SOLD 14Jul07
1981 720 SD22 (scrapped 04Sep07)
1983 Sentra CD17, 255k, bought 06Jul08, gave it away 22Jun10.