clock broken?

General information about the first-generation Nissan Maxima in the US. What was the Datsun 810 became the luxury leader Maxima in the US in 1981.

Moderators: plenzen, glenlloyd, goglio704, Nissan_Ranger

asavage
Site Admin

Post by asavage »

83_maxima wrote:If you could provide me with a good mailing address I will fedex that baby tomorrow to the great state of Washington!
Use my work address, UPS delivers daily. I think I've seen FedEx twice in the last six months, they don't have much of a presence here. Send it any way you like, it'll get here eventually.
[Have I ever mentioned how much I like PT and the Olymipic Peninsula?]
No, but it is paradise. Just don't tell anyone. I actually live about 15 miles south of PT, but work there.
Regards,
Al S.

1982 Maxima diesel wagon, 2nd & 4th owner, 165k miles, rusty & burgundy/grey. Purchased 1996, SOLD 16Feb10
1983 Maxima diesel wagon, 199k miles, rusty, light yellow/light brown. SOLD 14Jul07
1981 720 SD22 (scrapped 04Sep07)
1983 Sentra CD17, 255k, bought 06Jul08, gave it away 22Jun10.
83_maxima

Post by 83_maxima »

Great, I'll get it out. We have a FedEx account, so that's how I'll send it. Just easy that way.

How far is your work from the Safeway?

I have spent time on Oak Bay a few years ago. Very nice.

Don't worry. It's our secret. ;)
asavage
Site Admin

Post by asavage »

Which Safeway? The new Safeway (across from McD's), the old Safeway (now Swain's) by the new ferry dock (not the old ferry dock off Union St.) or the old-old Safeway (now Flagship Landing)?

You probably mean the new Safeway, I imagine. You'd have to have been around here a long time (or know old timers) to know about the old locations; Safeway has been in PT since 1936 (their signage states).

New Safeway is at the base of the Sims hill. I work in a building in a relatively new area of town, the PT Business Park, which is behind/north of Goodwill, but since Goodwill's building itself was an empty field two years ago, I doubt you know where that is either. Les Schwab? Across the street and three blocks north would be very close to where I work. You could mapquest it if you really want to pinpoint it.

Downtown PT trivia: the street closest to the water is "Water Street" (where all the Victorian buildings are), but on the town plat is "First Street" which was built out on a wharf over the water. First Street has been gone for over seventy years, but the pilings can still be seen at very low tide I'm told. A couple of years ago, someone suggested to the City Council that they'd better zone for adult stores, before one came along to apply for a business license. One wiseacre on the Council suggested that they zone First Street for adult-oriented businesses :evil:. That's the kind of elected officials we've got. Fortunately, as I say, I don't live in PT.
Regards,
Al S.

1982 Maxima diesel wagon, 2nd & 4th owner, 165k miles, rusty & burgundy/grey. Purchased 1996, SOLD 16Feb10
1983 Maxima diesel wagon, 199k miles, rusty, light yellow/light brown. SOLD 14Jul07
83_maxima

Post by 83_maxima »

I do mean the new Safeway, south of town. Just curious.
One wiseacre on the Council suggested that they zone First Street for adult-oriented businesses
You gotta admit it is pretty clever though. ;)
83_maxima

Post by 83_maxima »

The clock is on it's way Al...

Thank you very much!
asavage
Site Admin

Post by asavage »

[Monday]
Got your clock. Found two bad solder joints, one of them may be the problem: emitter of A673 transistor, which is loose enough to wiggle. Other bad joint is the ground of R392 resistor, probably not bad enough to exhibit a symptom yet, but definitely in its future.

I'm going to take a couple pics later, then plug the clock in to the '83 Wagon -- I pulled the dash cap Sunday to replace it with a much better one, and realized it was the perfect time to procrastinate putting it back together, as now I can plug in your clock for testing.

Anyway, first I'll verify that your clock is still broken, then I'll resolder a few joints and re-test. Probably can't do all that today; I'll be lucky to do it this week, but it's on the list.

[Friday]
Well, I couldn't get your clock to light up at all, so at this point it's not "intermittant". I didn't do any repair work, I always try to verify the symptom first, and this clock is plain non-op right now.

I'll drag my 'scope down to work this weekend, find some test points (the mfgr provides nice ones silkscreened on the display PCB) and take some measurements on my working one, compare to your non-working one, see if I can discover anything.

Maybe I misunderstood: is this the clock that goes on and off? Or was it just dead?
Regards,
Al S.

83_maxima

Post by 83_maxima »

Most of the time it does not light up - say 90% of the time.

But...it will light up sometimes when jolted (driving over bumps, etc.)

It used to (a couple years ago) work for a while, then fade out and stay black for a while, then fade back in, and so on, and so on.

Lately, it is just plain dead most all the time.
asavage
Site Admin

Post by asavage »

Hmmm. Put the scope on the inputs, discovered something very odd: the six wires in your clock's connector are not in the right place!

[later]

Uh, oh.

I checked the '82 & '83 FSMs, and they agree on the wires order/colors in the clock harness connector (they do not show the wire colors for the clock's side of the harness, of which two are different colors as they cross the connector).

But . . . neither your clock nor mine are wired according to the pinout in the FSMs. And -- here's the really weird part -- they aren't miswired in the same way!

What year is this clock supposed to be from? I'll check the '84 FSM when I get home (I only have copies of '82 & '83 FSMs at work; at home I have '81/'82. I am hoping to pick up another '83 FSM for home).

This is complicating the repair. I suppose at this point I should take note of which wires are different in your clock's harness, move them to match my '83 Wagon's harness, test/repair, then move the wires back in your clock's harness to the way you shipped it to me . . . .

Weird. Really weird.
Regards,
Al S.

83_maxima

Post by 83_maxima »

I pulled that clock out of my 83. It is the original clock.

I goofed when I said I had an extra. As I searched through my spare parts I found an extra *clock face* but no clock.

So I've only one, and I pulled it from my 83.

The miswiring is curious indeed...
asavage
Site Admin

Post by asavage »

The '84 FSM shows the same colors/pinouts as the '82 & '83 FSMs. It's just the actual clocks that are not the same (as either the FSMs or each other).

OK . . . well, I'll make a chart of before & after, move the pins in the connector to match my '83 Wagon, do the testing etc, then move them back to "as shipped".

Other options: check the wiring on my '82 Wagon, and on the spare instrument cluster I got from the JY '82 Wagon. But that's just icing, and wouldn't really help me fix your clock.

We'll just have to keep this oddness in mind for the future: replacement clocks may not be Plug & Play!

Tomorrow is another day.
Regards,
Al S.

asavage
Site Admin

Post by asavage »

I swapped the two wires on your clock that were wrong -- swapped to my Wagon's setup, also wrong . . .

[The way yours was wired, the night light ground was getting power, and the clock hot input was getting the light's ground. No harm done.]

. . . did a chart on some output signals on my clock, swapped in your clock, got partway through the comparison of output signals, yours started working. Can't get it to not work by thumping it, so I'm leaving it on for now and will check tomorrow to see if it dies again. Tricky.
Regards,
Al S.

asavage
Site Admin

Post by asavage »

asavage wrote:. . . I'm leaving it on for now and will check tomorrow to see if it dies again.
It was running this morning, but the display was dead when I checked in the afternoon. Unfortunately, I had no time to work with it. Maybe Tues. evening I can.
Regards,
Al S.

83_maxima

Post by 83_maxima »

Any more updates on this front Al?

I picked up an 81 clock from the JY this past Sunday, but left the face, and I can't remember if the functions are the same or not and I don't have one to compare it to. I know the face was quite different from mine.

I also picked up the *pristine* washer fluid reservoir (it was a wagon) in the event that someone here might want it. I have no need, but recognized that it was unique to the wagons.

Wasn't much else I could use, because the 81s were quite different from my 83, but I grabbed as much as I could. It also had that god awful butterscotch-colored interior...blech...
asavage
Site Admin

Post by asavage »

It's been dead for over a week, but I haven't been able to get back to it. Work has been crazy-busy, and I did haul that 720 diesel PU on Sunday, so there's not been much spare time.

On the Wagon WW res: I can't recall if my '83 Wagon needs one or if it only needs one of the pumps.
Regards,
Al S.

83_maxima

Post by 83_maxima »

Just curious. If I feel motivated, I may try to take my dash apart again and plug in the other clock - see if it doesn't work too. :;):